App 'jitter'

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/App 'jitter'

lonnieh(Posted 2005) [#1]
Has anyone else experienced 'jitter' within the first few seconds of launching your BMax application? This really poses no problems, since I would imagine that its not very noticable in a menu, but I was wondering if it was just my system.

salric(Posted 2005) [#2]
I've noticed the same problem when displaying filtered images scaled larger than their native size for the first time.

I solved the problem by simply drawing all resized images once (without flip) before the game begins (in the size they are used in the game).

Hope this helps.

z80jim(Posted 2005) [#3]
I've noticed a kind of momentary pause or freeze at the beginning of my app. I figure it has something to do with the first use of my loaded images. My app is using images that are sometimes rotated but never scaled. Was going to experiment with doing something like salric said but it hasn't been a high enough priority.

Oddball(Posted 2005) [#4]
Are we talking about a Windows system here, because my pc and every Windows pc I've ever used has pauses when a program is first run. Most apps usually have a flash screen at the start to hide the load time.

BlitzSupport(Posted 2005) [#5]
This is apparently just the textures being loaded into video memory, and the solution I've read about is basically what salric says, ie. draw all images without showing them (ie. without Flip). (Same goes for Blitz3D -- render the scene hidden first.)