Filax: Console Module

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Filax: Console Module

Arcadenut(Posted 2005) [#1]
Filax

I am trying out your console mod and think it's great. There is a bug though and I have a few comments, so I thought I would list them here for you.

The problem I see is that you are not restoring all the things you modify such as alpha, blending, etc..

Here is a screen shot without the console:

Here is one with it. (Console not shown)

Doing a:

SetBlend(MASKBLEND)
SetColor(255,255,255)

after the call to Console_Refresh fixes it. You should save the current values and then restore them.

The rest are mainly comments.

1) Maybe make a note somewhere that AutoMidHandle(True) will cause the ConsoleBackground to be drawn in the wrong place.

2) Make a note that if resolutions change, they should call Console_Init again.

3) It would be nice to be able to remap all the keys you check for. I currently have TAB, the Arrow Keys and the Page UP and Page down mapped to my functions. They tend to interfere with each other at times :-)

4) I would like to be able to add a line in the console so that I can put my own information in there (like you have the title bar). Things I would put in there would be version number, copyright and other info that shouldn't scroll off.

5) It would be nice if I could set the text color and alpha separate from the background.

6) It would be nice if you had HOME, END, Shift-PageUP and Shift-PageDown to allow for faster navigation through the log.

7) It doesn't seem to like lines wider then the console window. It flickers when you have a lot of lines like that.

8) would be nice if it scrolled left and right or word wrapped. Alternatively, allow changing the font size.

9) When you first start up, it shows the console then it closes up. Can you make it hidden as default and only show up when the key is pressed?

Most of this is minor, as it works very well. Excellent work!

I didn't notice any Licensing terms, do you just want your name in the credits?

Thanks!

Arcadenut(Posted 2005) [#2]
Actually, Ignore #5, I figured that one out :-)

Filax(Posted 2005) [#3]
Ok :) Yes only my name :)

Filax(Posted 2005) [#4]
4) I would like to be able to add a line in the console so that I can put my own information in there (like you have the title bar). Things I would put in there would be version number, copyright and other info that shouldn't scroll off.

You can !

5) It would be nice if I could set the text color and alpha separate from the background.

3) It would be nice to be able to remap all the keys you check for. I currently have TAB, the Arrow Keys and the Page UP and Page down mapped to my functions. They tend to interfere with each other at times :-)

Ok :)

Arcadenut(Posted 2005) [#5]
For #4, the key part is that it wouldn't scroll off the screen. I want to be able to have a second Title Line with my own text in it :-)