OpenAL

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/OpenAL

TartanTangerine (was Indiepath)(Posted 2005) [#1]
Does anyone have an experience in using this? Can't understand why BRL did not use this as the audio engine.

taumel(Posted 2005) [#2]
No but i asked myself the same question...

Greetings,

taumel

JaviCervera(Posted 2005) [#3]
I use the Torque Game Engine, which uses OpenAL for audio, and it gives laods of problems under Mac. Maybe that's one of the reasons.

Robert Cummings(Posted 2005) [#4]
FMOD is a perfect fit. Fmod is free and if anyone wants to sell their products, they can easily afford the $100 shareware license.

Shame there are no official mods yet - hoping there will be.

REDi(Posted 2005) [#5]
I've been playing around with openal on and off, and have a module thats around 90% tested, which I'll post when/if I finish it. (I'll probly wrap it in user friendly oop first)

My main problem so far with OpenAL is it seems to load some wav files but not others (using alut so its not my fault ;) ).

I'm torn between OpenAL/DirectSound and FMODex, and I can't make up my mind what to use, FMODex has alot of funtionality but will be expensive, DirectSound is DAMN FAST (I was writing a mod tracker for fun with purebasic and directsound managed to play it realtime :)) but it's not cross platform, and I've just started playing with OpenAL so I'll see how that performs.

TartanTangerine (was Indiepath)(Posted 2005) [#6]
FMOD is too expensive for us, we would be forced to purchase the commercial licence and possibly the site licence at that.

xlsior(Posted 2005) [#7]
Fmod is free and if anyone wants to sell their products, they can easily afford the $100 shareware license.

Of course there is a difference between *wanting* to sell a product and being *able* to sell more than two copies. :-)

Keep in mind that that's $100 per 'product' as well. And if your product is commercial instead of shareware, there will be a MAJOR increase in the licensing fee.

REDi(Posted 2005) [#8]
OMG theres no way to set/get the play position in openal! AARRRGGGG!!!!! Well thats the end of that for me :(

TartanTangerine (was Indiepath)(Posted 2006) [#9]
Did anyone ever develop an OpenAL Module?

Robert Cummings(Posted 2006) [#10]
I'm gonna go with FMOD.

REDi(Posted 2006) [#11]
Just pulled out my old openal module and i think its usable (from what i remember, i didnt use it much), it wraps openal and alut and has a lil test app that loads and plays a wav file. If you want to play about with it indie you're more than welcome.

oh btw i only have the windows libs

TartanTangerine (was Indiepath)(Posted 2006) [#12]
Hi, yeah I got the wrapper done on Windows myself, it's all pretty straight forward. I'd want to do something cross-platform though.

FMOD, although the dogs dangly bits, is just too expensive for us to purchase as we need a commercial license.

GW(Posted 2006) [#13]
What about Bass. [http://www.un4seen.com/]
Been around longer than fmod and last time I used it, had more features. cheaper too.

TartanTangerine (was Indiepath)(Posted 2006) [#14]
Again Bass is fine for shareware but for real commercial use it's just too expensive. If I create a module it's got to be something we, Indiepath, can use. OpenAl is Free

popcade(Posted 2006) [#15]
Audiere under win32, not considering other ports yet, if portaudio can be actually utilized I may wrap ogg streaming and minifomd to it, but theora movie codec will be done first, which is based on Chris C's wrapper method.

Chris C(Posted 2006) [#16]
@yoxola
what? where? who?

I wrapped some mpeg stuff but not theora, an skid modd'ed my port audio wrapper experiment...

LAB[au](Posted 2006) [#17]
There is allready a bass.dll wrapper lying around here ...

popcade(Posted 2006) [#18]
@Chris
Just "borrow" the frame wrapping method from your source (and a few ideas come from Torque source), however it if works well I'll make it available to everyone coz it should be public.

Before clean the source out I'll try to keep doing. But may need some time as I have other works to do.

ragtag(Posted 2006) [#19]
Are you sure OpenAL has problems on Mac. It's included as a part of Tiger, see http://developer.apple.com/audio/openal.html and seems to recomended by Apple.

Ragnar