Playing mp3 files

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Playing mp3 files

daqx(Posted 2005) [#1]
Hi,

is there a possibility to play MP3 files with BlitzMax ?

Thanks

- badger

Sveinung(Posted 2005) [#2]
Yes. Using Drago's FMOD.

Sveinung

N(Posted 2005) [#3]
You realize that if you do use MP3 there are severe costs license-wise, right?

It's a good thing to know.

daqx(Posted 2005) [#4]
Even if I just build a player which supports MP3 ?

N(Posted 2005) [#5]
Not sure about the exact usage in that case. Check out the license, since it's 1am here and I can't do it myself 'cause my eyes hurt.

teamonkey(Posted 2005) [#6]
I think the MP3 licence allows you to use it for free (as in beer) software but you have to buy a licence for it if you charge for it. FMOD has a similar licence but the MP3 licence is included in the pay-for FMOD licence.

bradford6(Posted 2005) [#7]
check out Ogg Vorbis. there are many free MP3>OGG converters and OGG is 100% free.

Dreamora(Posted 2005) [#8]
Thought the mp3 license is pay for when you have more than 5000 downloads of the app if freeware and pay for in any case if not free

_Skully(Posted 2005) [#9]
I remember looking this up some time ago.. the price was something like $2500 per song in MP3 for a commercial release. Outrageous! OGG is definately the way to go if you plan on selling your game and don't want to get hosed on the audio component..

FlameDuck(Posted 2005) [#10]
Even if I just build a player which supports MP3 ?
Yes. Even if you just build a player which supports MP3.

I think the MP3 licence allows you to use it for free (as in beer) software but you have to buy a licence for it if you charge for it.
Nope. Even if you give your software away for free (beer or speech), you still have to pay a licensing fee.

Thought the mp3 license is pay for when you have more than 5000 downloads of the app if freeware and pay for in any case if not free
Only for games. Thomson royalty rates are available on the Interweb. Current rate for a software application is 75 cents a copy, or a one time fee of 50.000 USD. For games it's 2.500, provided you distribute more than 5K copies.

OGG is definately the way to go if you plan on selling your game and don't want to get hosed on the audio component..
Ogg/Vorbis is definately the way to go regardless. MP3 royalties are not restricted to commercial products. If you make a small "proof of concept" game using MP3 sounds, upload it to your website, and just sit around and wait, doing nothing at all, by the time 5.000 webcrawlers have indexed the file, you in principle owe Thomspon 2.500 USD in royalties.

And they say patents encourage innovation.

Hotcakes(Posted 2005) [#11]
mp3 = bad. ogg = good. ogg = better. There is -no- reason for a game developer to use mp3 code in their program! It makes 0% sense.