Don't forget the code archives

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Don't forget the code archives

puki(Posted 2005) [#1]
Hi, "puki" here.

I bought BMax when the beta came out and have only just bothered to download the full release. Demo-wise (samples) there is not much new which was a bit dissapointing.

However, I note a distinct lack of BMax code archives - I was browsing through and using the 'BMax' toggle.

So, considering quite a few Blitzers have been playing around with BMax since the beta days, don't forget to shove stuff into the Code Archives section.

In addition - you may have posted code in the forums which may be worth transferring to the Code Archives for future reference.

I will be checking the Code Archives section over the next week or so and if I do not see a marked improvement I'll be speaking to your parents.

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2005) [#2]
lol. did you contribute also?

puki(Posted 2005) [#3]
I'm being serious - I want the entries added into the Code Archives - like yesterday.

I've not really used BMax since buying it 7 months ago. However, some people have been using it for those 7 months - where are the code archives?

People surely have worked on little things that are useful. I want to see some evidence of this.

It was a bit dismaying to see that there are only a handful of entries - yet code exists coz I have seen small snippets of BMax code on other 3rd party sites (and I am not talking about Blitzcoder or Coder's Workshop) that have been sprouting up on the internet. I'm all in favour of that, but I'd like to see those people putting those code snippets in the Code Archives section of this site.

People have small routines and stuff that they have already shown off and posted - so it's a case of sticking that in the Code Archives.

Have a look in 'Code archives/3D Graphics - Effects' (etc) - there isn't one single BMax entry - that's a bit dissapointing. In honesty, a bit crap in my opinion. We just got a GL based language and there is nothing to look at in the Code Archives - yet the code that should be in there exists elsewhere.

BRL and moderators can't be blamed for a lack of Code Archives - that's supposed to come out of the community.

Shake a leg people, I'm not going to sit back and let this pass.

I'm expecting a noticeable improvement in this area.

Bot Builder(Posted 2005) [#4]
Well, alot of the new stuff is multifile stuff, and handy routines are distributed as a mod. I think the code archive needs .zap file uploading and internet overviewing.

puki(Posted 2005) [#5]
Mmmm.

"Boydy" is currently browsing the site - no doubt, he'll spot this and begin implementing it.

"Boydy", I expect some progress in this area - you have my email should you wish to keep me informed of developments.

Right, glad we got that sorted.

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2005) [#6]
I'm just saying that for the sake of your serenity, you might feel more at peace if you accept the code archives as they are and not feel the need to force people to do something to change it. It's all very well having fun with it and so on. If people have something to add maybe they will, but it's up to them.

xlsior(Posted 2005) [#7]
The code archives in general have been getting very few new additions ever since they were moved to their own section of the website again, and are no longer listed in the list of discussion forums.

I vote for putting the link back on that page?

Also, I accidentally added one of my own blitzmax submissions as blitz instead of blitzmax in the code archives, and found you can't change this classification after submitting a post, although you can edit everything else...

puki(Posted 2005) [#8]
I agree - yesterday I added a comment to one of "Beaker's" old code archives, but it doesn't make his Code Archive current like it used to.

Also, and more importantly we can no longer instantly see when a new Code Archive entry has been added.

The Code Archives are the lifeblood of the products - why did people keep going to Blitzcoder? Because of the Showcase - an awesome part of their site (that is now no more).

New people buying BMax will naturally visit the Code Archives - and find literally nothing there to look at. Personally, I think this is an important area to resolve.

Booticus(Posted 2005) [#9]
Well OK. I've answered the call! I'm one of many that are too embarassed or think that their code "isn't up to snuff"....but to heck with it!! I'll start posting little nuggets. First I'm posting a random continent generator. Good for tilemap stuff if you need randomized continents. Course, it might need some fiddling to be any use. But ITS CODE! To the archive!!!

Red(Posted 2005) [#10]
Code archive is boring to use without search engine.

In fact, a mighty search engine misses on this website.
It's a big problem.

Jeroen(Posted 2005) [#11]
I guess we need a "Blitzmax Module Depot" and the ability to import modules from people other than Blitz Research.

puki(Posted 2005) [#12]
Ah "Booticus" - let's see:

A random continent generator - sounds good to me. Someone is bound to take a look at it - I'll just take a look now.

EDIT:
Except, I don't see it there.

Booticus(Posted 2005) [#13]
Ha! Thats cause I posted the wrong one and removed it. Check now!