Mod Repository

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Mod Repository

Rambo_Bill(Posted 2005) [#1]
Wouldn't it be cool if we get someway of easily sharing mods, I mean like a searchable archive complete with descriptions and possibly some sort of autoloader thingy.

I donate the below to the cause:
http://www.fuzzycastle.com/mymods.zip
(contains Graphical Input, Brush Drawing, Buttons, Zones, I think thats it in this one)

Oh, and the maintainer of the mod should be allowed to make updates, as these mods while cool and all, will have updates.

PS: If anyone checks out my mods, let me know what you think. Kind of thrown together, but they are relatively clean and get the job done. A code smaple would probably help, but I think you can probably figure them out.

N(Posted 2005) [#2]
I suggested a code archives section for modules, simonh said it was a good idea but I don't think he's been able to do anything about it yet.

Rambo_Bill(Posted 2005) [#3]
well, I'd like more than just a section in the code archives. I'd like it to be it's own thing, maybe that's asking too much, but I think MODs are very important.

Rambo_Bill(Posted 2005) [#4]
At the very least could we document how to run a modserver? Then atleast dev teams could share mods.

Bot Builder(Posted 2005) [#5]
That'd be nice. Maybe a public modserver where you specify which ones you want in the call to bmk. BMK would also keep all the mods you have up to date when you call syncmods, but not download all of the public server mods.

I think this kind of thing is why in bmk there is the zapmod command which takes whatever module you name and converts it into a zap file which, on someone elses computer can be used with unzapmod to install it. Probably just a matter of time before the ide supports this and theres an archive for .zaps

AntonyWells(Posted 2005) [#6]
Something like devC++'s system would be nice. You press update and it downloads a list of 'devpaks' and you can just click on the oens you want to download, including version numbers of the one online and the one you have installed(If any)..

Rambo_Bill(Posted 2005) [#7]
I'm thinking that basically you download mods in some compressed format from a website into a predefined directory then after that you run a program that builds them, updates the docs, and then syncs the docs. Shouldn't be hard at all to do.. The site would be easy and blitz has support for compression. I also can shell out to BMK from blitz for the building, docs, and syncing.

Bot Builder(Posted 2005) [#8]
Well, It wouldnt be very hard to write a program that on installation associates itself with .zap files, and when run just call bmk with unzapmod. It would be nearly the same thing as dev paks, but with no fancy managing interface. It'd be sweet to see if an auto update checker could be created.....