App Trouble

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/App Trouble

Chugs40(Posted 2005) [#1]
I wrote a game using my lap top with winxp and it runs fine. when i put the app on my desk top with win98 it runs but has no graphics or color. Do i need to upgrade windows or directx (has v8.1) on that machine or is there some thing i need to integrate into my source code to make it more versitile on other machines with older opertating systems?

Perturbatio(Posted 2005) [#2]
make sure the graphics drivers are up to date.

Chugs40(Posted 2005) [#3]
Where and how do i do that? what are some good drivers and where can i find them?

Perturbatio(Posted 2005) [#4]
what graphics card does it have?

for nvidia go to www.nvidia.com
for ati go to www.ati.com

Dreamora(Posted 2005) [#5]
forget both they don't offer mobile drivers.

search for mobile drivers using Google. For ATI there is the mod tool which does the job. For dell there is a page that offers modded drivers.
alternative are omega drivers

Perturbatio(Posted 2005) [#6]
forget both they don't offer mobile drivers.

that's nice, but he's talking about it not working on his desktop machine.

Dreamora(Posted 2005) [#7]
args sorry :(
Read laptop and somehow missed the desktop after that (both written wrong which might be the reason that I missed it)

In case of Win98 you can get somewhere next to up-to-date drivers (as it is officially dropped by MS) on the pages above ... if you have SiS / S3 / Intel etc this won't help as long as you stay on OpenGL driver

The best alternative in case of Win98 is to try BM 1.10 with DX drivers.

Chugs40(Posted 2005) [#8]
I have BM 1.10 but how do incorporate it with Directx drivers. Do i install BM on the other machine and compile it there? Does that make a difference? Becouse i don't want to mess with the drivers on my desk top unless i know for sure what graphics card it has and that i do it right.

Perturbatio(Posted 2005) [#9]
The default Max2DDriver on the win32 platform is the DX driver, you have to implicitly change it to GL for it not to be.

Chugs40(Posted 2005) [#10]
Need more info. I don't quit understand what you are telling me. I guess i will figure something out.

Perturbatio(Posted 2005) [#11]
Ok, your graphics card (you can find out what it is by right-clicking my computer, click properties, click device manager, click the + next to Display Adapters), uses graphics drivers, it is these drivers I suggested you update.

To complicate this conversation, BMax can use OpenGL or DirectX when rendering graphics, you set this with the SetGraphicsDriver command. This will probably not help you in this case since it is likely to be the drivers for you graphics card that need to be updated.

Knowing what graphics card you have will enable you to find the correct drivers for the card.

Chugs40(Posted 2005) [#12]
OK, Thanks for your help i will try this...

Rambo_Bill(Posted 2005) [#13]
Make sure you sync mods, OpenGL was the default, but DX is now.

orgos(Posted 2005) [#14]
Chugs40.

What is the Video ram that you have on your desktop? I have the same problem, i test the same code using OpenGl and DX and nothing.

Then i test the same code on the same machine but with Win XP and the images look fine, but the Alphing work wrong. I update my graphic card with the last driver and the image look wrong too.

When i test the same code in other machine with 3d aceleration the code work fine. It is sad but it is.

I propose, look back in B3d to handle the DX module in Bmax like B3d, because the same images in B3d run fine, i test it with nSprite.

:(

Dreamora(Posted 2005) [#15]
Do you have samples of code that show the wrong results?
Perhaps its a different kind of error we might fix (like wrong blend mode for alpha and missing mipmap flag when drawing images smaller than they originally are etc)

Chugs40(Posted 2005) [#16]
Rambo bill, I have recompiled and sync'd the mods i don't think that is the problem.

Chugs40(Posted 2005) [#17]
Dreamora, I have code for the game i wrote. Did you want to check it out? Give me an address to send the zip file. Its not a real big program, its bmax rewrite of something i did in 2001 in c++.

Chugs40(Posted 2005) [#18]
Orgos,
I believe my desk top has 12 mb of vram. But i am not sure. I will have to check...

Chugs40(Posted 2005) [#19]
Back to perturbatio,
My desk top has an intel 810 chipset graphics driver pv 2.1
Which site should i go to and which driver sould i down load? Will i be able to down load it on my lap top and transfer it to my desk top via cd?
Becouse i don't have an internet connection on my desk top.

Perturbatio(Posted 2005) [#20]
http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts-df-external/filter_results.aspx?strTypes=all&ProductID=798&OSFullName=Windows*+98+SE&lang=eng&strOSs=18&submit=Go%21
You should be able to burn them to CD no problem.

orgos(Posted 2005) [#21]
Well i hopefull that you resolve your problem with the drivers because i don't solve my problem. Try install WinXp on your desktop and test your program, then try apply some Alpha to an image and tell me if it work fine.

Chugs40(Posted 2005) [#22]
Well the driver did not help my app. But out of curiosity i ran some of the samples that came with bmax and they worked ok (on my desk top win98), some were kinda wierd. some of which were'nt structured much different from my program, but mine still looks messed up, no graphics... I even wrote a tiny little program that displays and image, and nothing.

Perturbatio(Posted 2005) [#23]
Try this on your computer, first as is, then comment the first line out and uncomment the second.

SetGraphicsDriver(D3D7Max2DDriver())
'SetGraphicsDriver(GLMax2DDriver())

Graphics 640,480,0,0

Global myImage = LoadImage("C:\Program Files\BlitzMax\samples\simonh\fireworks\spark.png")

While Not KeyDown(KEY_ESCAPE)
	Cls

DrawImage(myImage, MouseX(), MouseY())

Flip
	FlushMem
Wend
End

Chugs40(Posted 2005) [#24]
Thanx perturbatio,
I will try that. But whats wierd is the samples were coded just like mine and worked but mine did'nt. and i did'nt see graphics driver calls in them.
I'll comment later.... (after i try the driver funcs)

Perturbatio(Posted 2005) [#25]
make sure the image it is trying to load exists.

BlitzSupport(Posted 2005) [#26]
Might be worth posting an example of one of your own programs.

Dreamora(Posted 2005) [#27]
Don't know if this has been asked but perhaps you try to do something not supported by your card?
Like running in 32 bit desktop and trying to open your app in window (older cards do not support that) instead of fullscreen or trying to set to 24 bit colordepth, using to large images (> 256x256 or 512x512) etc

Without a sample that shows the problem, the chance that it is hardware related, because of the technology level of the card, is higher than that it has actually to do anything with your code at all.

Chugs40(Posted 2005) [#28]
I got it to run on my desktop with glmax2ddriver, runs great on both of my machines! (old & new)

Where do i post programs on the blitz site? I don't need my own web page somewhere do i?
I would like to get some feed back on some games i have wriiten in blitz and bmax.

My other curious question...
Why do bmax apps open a dos window & a gl window at launch time?