Blitz for xbox 360

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Blitz for xbox 360

Jay Kyburz(Posted 2005) [#1]
I was just reading over at the indi games forum that Torque is nearly xbox ready (whatever that means)an Think Tanks will be downloadable on live.

Any chance we will see Blitz Max running on an Xbox.

(say yes please - I got my hands on one of the new controllers yesterday and they are damn nice)

N(Posted 2005) [#2]
Not a chance in the world.

AntonyWells(Posted 2005) [#3]
He nose what he's talking about. They already rejected a request from mark to port blitz3D.

Ps3 is a far more realistic option.. Considering Sony arn't afraid of the ps3 being called a computer.

N(Posted 2005) [#4]
I'm just gonna paste this every time you mention the PS3, Antony ;)

http://www.penny-arcade.com/view.php?date=2005-05-23&res=l

AntonyWells(Posted 2005) [#5]

His nose was THIS big yo!

And I'll keep on making fun of your nose when you do :) And yes, Chris rock will return.

N(Posted 2005) [#6]
You could get a better picture of Chris Rock though ;)

AntonyWells(Posted 2005) [#7]

I thought I looked hot in that photo...

Dreamora(Posted 2005) [#8]
Blitz for XBox 360 is no problem as there will be a second version with Windows ...

Michael Reitzenstein(Posted 2005) [#9]
Yeah, I have a feeling that:

Not a chance in the world.

Will be proven wrong in the years to come.

AdrianT(Posted 2005) [#10]
mark has to join the xbox developers network etc in order to develop for Xbox360. Garage games are well connected in the industry and are business partners with ATI, Nvidia, Apple and joined the Xbox 360 program. As well as Xbox and PS2.

To do that you need good marketing, industry connections and experience in commercial game dev. BLitz hasn't really got much of either of these things and mostly seen as a hobby development system by the vast majority. So getting there is going to be a lot of work. Don't think its out of the question though. If your indie game is good enough and sells enough copies, MS will come looking for you.

Bmax has the best chance of success but I doubt blitz3d will as you need lower level hardware access to get some things runnig on Xbox to MS spec in order to pass Q&A testing. Which is pretty hard.

Picklesworth(Posted 2005) [#11]
I think BMax would be best going for compatability with handheld game consoles, because the latest handhelds are the dream systems for most of the lower-end indipendant developers!

However, I know there's not a chance that this would happen... But I couldn't stop myself from typing the following.

Indie quality games can be built for systems like the DS and PSP and, thanks to glorious hardware limitations, will look just as good as the professional games for the system. (And we all know that the graphics are exactly what would turn most people off of most indie games built for another immensely powerful next-gen console)

AdrianT(Posted 2005) [#12]
handhelds are pretty cool, but 95% of people that use blitz aren't making successful indie games. However I'd love to get something on PSP :) that would be cool

MY current goal is Xbox live arcade since thats the most achievable target at the moment. Particularly with MS supplying indies with the hardware to port their games for free. Not sure how long that will last :) but currently they want to introduce new games monthly. I think there is a real chance with Bmax if the quality of the 3D engine comes anywhere close to blitz3D.

Dreamora(Posted 2005) [#13]
Pickles: That was a good joke. Most here are not even capable of creating good stuff with 64MB VRAM and 512MB RAM. what do you think will they do with 4MB RAM and next to no RAM and only ARM ASM "rendering"?

Beside that, thats not really possible due to license reasons.

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2005) [#14]
I would think the Max3D engine would supercede the blitz3d engine by some way.

Picklesworth(Posted 2005) [#15]
Pickles: That was a good joke. Most here are not even capable of creating good stuff with 64MB VRAM and 512MB RAM. what do you think will they do with 4MB RAM and next to no RAM and only ARM ASM "rendering"?

Beside that, thats not really possible due to license reasons.

Firstly, I pointed out quite clearly that I am well aware that it's impossible.
However the fact is, you are right, by comparison to games made by big professional developers, most games developed here are not very "Good" (as you would say).
I think your wording there is a bit harsh actually, because many games made by Blitz users are good -- just not superior to the expensive big-budget games.

Now, my reasoning for why developing on a handheld would be good (By the way, I think the psp has quite a lot of RAM. It's the DS that has 4 mb). Allright, system speed would be an issue, but since you seem to judge the quality of games by what else there is, and you believe that games made on a low-mid-range PC are "not good" how could a more powerful system possibly change things?.
Building on your thought that a game's quality is all about what else there is for the system it's built for, the graphics quality of many games made by single developers here and elsewhere is often equal to that of games for the current two main handheld consoles. Sure, it would take some work to get one of those games on there, but the media (which is, eventually, the main driving force behind the graphics quality) could stay pretty much identical.

I'm sorry to have subjected everyone to a mindless bit of dreaming for something that would never happen. I would have shut up three posts ago had my post not been misread.

Now, back to sensible wishes that do have some chance of ever happening.

Dreamora(Posted 2005) [#16]
I don't say that the games aren't good. They are just programmed in a ressource wasting way, at least most of the games ... and for handhelds, ressources is the by far most significant point as you don't have many of them ... Thats what I meant with my sentence ...
if they can't handle 64MB VRAM efficiently how worse can it become with 1-4MB and 8-32MB RAM?

Hopefully with XBox 360 Console Dev shouldn't be a problem as a windows box was mentioned for somewhen later

nawi(Posted 2005) [#17]
What? The lower hardware the better graphics indie's can produce.