Proteon IDE

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Proteon IDE

bstripp(Posted 2005) [#1]
Anyone know if the Proteon IDE works with BlitzMax? Are there plans for it to do so?

Stuart Morgan(Posted 2005) [#2]
I believe it does but its currently in beta form available to registered users of Protean.

Perturbatio(Posted 2005) [#3]
development is still underway on it, but it is going slowly due to Rob having other things going on in his life.

Cartman(Posted 2005) [#4]
My advice would be not to buy anything from Protean, until the Blitzmax IDE gets out of beta. And that could be a long time. There are other editors that are almost as good and are being updated on a frequent basis.

SillyPutty(Posted 2005) [#5]
I recommend Blide over protean for the moment.

CoderLaureate(Posted 2005) [#6]
I second that. Blide is excellent. Protean could be better when it's done, but for now Blide is better than the BMAX editor anyday.

Xip(Posted 2005) [#7]
bahh, i dont like blide one bit, and will most likley never install it again....(3rd time i think) however, i have started to like Protean IDE more and more, but since i dont have the monney, it looks like om going to be without a nice IDE for a while :(
then defult bmax ide it is ;)

klepto2(Posted 2005) [#8]
@Xip:

Maybe you can explain why you don't like Blide a bit more ?

It is currently the best IDE for Bmax (IMO) and is still under
development. And the best, it is for free. All windows are now
closable so maybe the overkilling look of the first versions
is scaring you, but in your case, I would take a look to Blide
again.

RetroRusty(Posted 2005) [#9]
I'm now trying IndeED http://www.michaelhartlef.de/

This works with BlitzMax. You can now compile Blitz3D and BlitzMax code in the same IDE :)

Thanks

Xip(Posted 2005) [#10]
@klepto2: it is the hole fealing the ide gives me, I cant stand it... have installed it 3 times know i think(las time not to long ago), and i cant stand it, the toolbar look(i want to switsh off the captions and only show glyphs), the Super ugly Flash help, and more...
i want a light-Pro-interface ide, but the blide still feels a bit amatur:ish *sorry*.
i whold like a more visual studio 6 look(been a few years since i used vc++, so i dont know what the new versions look like, but i liked the old vc6, or was it 5?).

[edit after trying IndeED]
@Enigma: WHOOOW! Tanx m8, That was exaktly what i was looking for, Thanx alot!:)
I love it, and i will never shange bmax IDE again ;)

[edit2] some of the tool glyphs looks a bit old, and it whod be nice to have them loaded from a external bmp(like b3d), but this i can survive without.
other than some smaller things, this looks like the ultimate IDE for me :)
some more debug stuff in toolbar whod be nice, step in, and out and so on.

in blide(if im not misstaking) i MUST create a projekt even if i only want to test a simple line of code, in IndeIDE i can eazily compile to a temp file without have to save first(like bmax defult), but it also suport Projekt mannaging.

/Xip

ziggy(Posted 2005) [#11]
@Xip, in BLIde you don't have to crea te a project to test anything. You can use an option called: 'Quick NEW bmx file' or an option 'Quick load bmx file' :) Anyway, take in cosideration is currently in development, I hope I'll improve it

:D

AntonyWells(Posted 2005) [#12]
Blide for sure. But be warned it's not the best solution if you've only got 128mb of ram. (Like I have. I wish it would run faster. Feature wise it's off the hook.)

MikeHart(Posted 2005) [#13]
Hi Xip and thanks for your comment :-) If you didn't do it allready, register at

http://forum.michaelhartlef.de

and suggest you ideas and things you would like to see in IndeED there. If you post it here it is very likely that I will miss it.