TNet Beta release!

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/TNet Beta release!

Tibit(Posted 2005) [#1]
TNet is an easy way to Implement Multiplayer into your game. It's much more network efficient than GNet.
TNet is a Multiplayer Library similar to BlitzPlay.

Go check it out!

Any comments are welcome

Filax(Posted 2005) [#2]
Good job !

Jeroen(Posted 2005) [#3]
wooohooo

altitudems(Posted 2005) [#4]
Looks great.

[Edit]
Looks like your example app doesn't work. I can host and then join, but neither computer can send a message. Wierd.

Tibit(Posted 2005) [#5]
Looks like your example app doesn't work. I can host and then join, but neither computer can send a message. Wierd

I know why... that's because there is no key_input in console-mode. I changed it from a "send every 3sec" to "send when you press key" but then I forgot about that limitation..

I'll put up several more examples today. They are done just want to make the code as clean as possible =)

altitudems(Posted 2005) [#6]
Wave, great work.

This has got to be the simplest networking lib I have ever used.

BlitzSupport(Posted 2005) [#7]
Whoa, looks really nice -- I'll probably cough up if you get auto-interpolation going, but even as it stands it's looking sweet!

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2005) [#8]
Will have to check this out later.

Tibit(Posted 2005) [#9]
Whoa, looks really nice -- I'll probably cough up if you get auto-interpolation going, but even as it stands it's looking sweet!

Wish for the best =)

Vertex(Posted 2005) [#10]
Nice Module! But it is not the best kind, to copy the complete BNet-Code without any comments ;)

cu olli

RepeatUntil(Posted 2005) [#11]
Wahou, it seems very nice!!
A few questions:
- why do you say it's more efficient than gnet? Is it not based on gnet? Do you have any plan to base that on gnet??
- We can use UDP and TCP: but will you have an option to have reliable UDP (like BlitzPlay)
- How long do you need to have a released version?

That looks very promising!! Keep up the good work!

Tibit(Posted 2005) [#12]
Oh man, Vertex, sorry. I wound't have come this far without BNet! First I was planning for BNet to be a requirement and link to it, but I figured since it's a free beta and since Bnet was open I could include it in the same (assuming most don't have BNet). Then I actually forgot to give you any credis, and Korolis should also have many thanks for his packing-code that I base my packing functions on.
(btw I don't think your mail is working?)

@RepeatUntil
1. I ran the Gnet demo, one object took around 600b/s to transfer while moving. Mine takes 14b/s. As Mark said Gnet isn't optimized. TNet are. Sending/receiving data on the other hand is probably just at efficient in gnet. It's more a UDP vs TCP.

2. TCP is not working in the beta version. First I'll implement TCP and see how it handles in the mix with UDP. I'll most likly implement reliable-sequential-UDP that's the plan. So you can use it over poor connections.

3. Now that it works I'll clean it up a bit. I'll rename most commands so they aren't longer/unlogical nor too common. I'm also going to be away some during the summer. But I'll work on it from time to time. I would estimate it to be released in 1 or 2 months. Some advanced features might take longer. The modulation-part is really a test and see. It might be a hit or it might not work at all.

SillyPutty(Posted 2005) [#13]
ok, this checks cool, will it be free ?
Will you constantly be updating as in gnet ?

I love gnet, if this outcshines it, then I will use this.

Dependig on the above condictions :)

SillyPutty(Posted 2005) [#14]
i trieds the examples, nice !

can you make a little game demo ?

Tibit(Posted 2005) [#15]
I will always have a free version. If you are making a free game it will definetly be free to use. (You can always check the TNet-Forums the question has already been answered in more detail there)

I plan to update it as long as I have time.

There is an Action-Movement example up now! The technique could also be used with GNet, it shouldn't be to hard to convert.

TartanTangerine (was Indiepath)(Posted 2005) [#16]
I've some questions about this, the official forums look pretty dead. Can anyone help?

---------------

Is this possible?

I want the two PC's to run as hosts, if one recieves a "CLIENT" request from the other then the requesting Host becomes a client.

Assume that the PC's are actually 2 instances of a program on the same computer. They have the same IP but different ports.

please help.

Thanks.

TartanTangerine (was Indiepath)(Posted 2005) [#17]
@Wave, you want $15 for a commercial version... What do I have to pay to get some support? And yes I have posted on your official forums.

TartanTangerine (was Indiepath)(Posted 2005) [#18]

Tibit(Posted 2005) [#19]
Sorry missed your post!

ok let's try to work this out, (by the way I answered on the offical forums this morning)

Moved to: http://s9.invisionfree.com/TNet/index.php?showtopic=25

It's solved now (I think)