SetGraphicsDriver GLMax2DDriver()

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/SetGraphicsDriver GLMax2DDriver()

dmaz(Posted 2005) [#1]
I'll probably get slapped around for this but I don't like the DirectX driver being the default on win32. I've been finding all kinds of code examples (usually the lower level opengl stuff, but not always) that don't work or work differently than expected until I set it back to OpenGL with "SetGraphicsDriver GLMax2DDriver()". I guess this is to be expect considering that openGL is the default for the other 2 platforms and had been to default on win32 as well up until now. I'm also worried about beginners who cut and paste some of the code and find that it doesn't work... Anyway, I think win32 should have to specify the directx driver but that's just my opinion. I posted it here as a bug because of the code breakage.

Not mention going the other way... I expect some directx code not to be compatible with the opengl driver which means Mac people will be grabbing source that they can't run and won't know why. On the other hand, if the code clearly sets a driver that they don't have and then get an error indicating that, I think that is/should be the perfered behavior.

Just a thought...

marksibly(Posted 2005) [#2]
Hi,

This is a valid question but I don't consider it a bug report.

The big thing to me is that the GL driver at least appears to be immune to 'catastrophic' failure.

Sure, on some cards it gives crappy framerates and/or odd colors - but that's better than 'memory access exception' or whatever.

Still, in the meantime I think it's good to have it as default as it's forcing us to find/kill the bugs!

tonyg(Posted 2005) [#3]
I would rather not have any default and HAVE to specify the
graphicsdriver.
Maybe something nice like setgraphicsdriver gl/dx

SillyPutty(Posted 2005) [#4]
i dont see the problem at all, just set want you want in code.

I agree that having the defaul as dx will help iron out bugs.

dmaz(Posted 2005) [#5]
I agree that having the default as dx, at least for now, will help iron out the bugs.

"just set want your want in code."

the problem with that is almost no one does.