Need some opinions

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Need some opinions

klepto2(Posted 2005) [#1]
I have build a small and very early Version of an Artillery style game.

The Terrain engine is based on splines and the scrolling is based on the setscale command. For the Particles I use
ParticleSky (very nice and easy Particle engine).

Now I want to hear your opinions about this.
i.e :What do you think about the Terrainshape?
What about the Shoot Physics?
Do you find bugs?
And what do you think about solving the scrolling via setscale?

Currently there are now good Graphics as backgroud or Terrain. That will come later on.

Please Download the DEMO here:
http://www.brsoftware.de.vu/DL/

The file called Arttest.rar (387kb)

THX

[edit:]
Some Screenies of a bit more advanced version.

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2005) [#2]
I bet this is a PC only demo right? I tried to download it at work but I couldn't open the rar file, I don't think this computer has support for those files.

If you are willing to post just a decent screenshot I will be happy to give you some pointers/comments.

Initially I would just guess that the zooming scrolling is probably pretty nice looking. I presume there is a wide play area bigger than the screen and that when you fire a weapon it keeps the player and the weapon within the screen limits by zooming it? I don't think it's been done before on this kind of game so it's at least novel.

As to the spline landscape, I've only seen splines used in Charr, an Amiga shareware game. It worked okay. I guess it all depends on what look-and-feel you want to achieve.

klepto2(Posted 2005) [#3]
@AngelDaniel :

I have added 2 Screenshots and will release a more playable
(1 vs 1) Demo hopefully tomorrow.

Currently the zooming is only by a factor of 2 (that means a 4*4 screen) but should work also with every other value.

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2005) [#4]
Well, it looks okay so far. It looks like early days yet. The spline landscape makes for some nice rounded hills. The colors are pretty bold at the moment, I'm not sure if you are intending to keep them or not.

I guess you might also eventually be having a proper `tank` graphic or something like that, instead of the white turrets? Or are you just going to keep it simple?

The particle effect looks nice. Can you possibly anti-aliase the landscape so that it doesn't look quite so jaggedy when zoomed?

I can't test the actual game but it's coming along well. Keep up the good work. I love these kind of games. There's a fair number of them out there, lots to compare to. Scorched Earth, Scorched Tanks, Atomic Cannon, the whole Worms series, Charr, Frontal Assault, etc. Good games to learn from.

klepto2(Posted 2005) [#5]
As stated above its just an early (not to say very early Version) Version. I will make some Graphics as soon as I can.(But I'm not that great Artist). Later on I plan to create
an masked image with some landscape graphics.

Currently its more an Engine Test for the Collisions and Terrain creation.

BTW.: New little DEMO with an integrated 1 vs 1 challange.
Link see the first post.

Filename: ARTDEMO(1vs1).rar (388kb)

ziggy(Posted 2005) [#6]
It looks and works ok. and the poor graphics have a retro look wich I find very pretty.

klepto2(Posted 2005) [#7]
New Demo Version available:

See link on top .
New Version file : Artillery05.RAR (480kb)

Here are some new screenshots with added Graphics:

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2005) [#8]
It's coming along nicely. :-)