What kind of array thing?

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/What kind of array thing?

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2005) [#1]
Hi folks.

I need to store some data structures in memory, ie a sequence of `objects`. Let's say each has 10 fields/variables of different kinds/sizes. I need these to all be stored in sequence, ie 10 fields followed by 10 fields followed by 10 fields etc. I don't want any kind of additional pointers or indirect referencing. The memory used to store one object has to immediately be followed by the memory used to store the next object. I don't want a `pointer to an instance of the type` being stored anywhere. Yet, as I said, all the fields have to be different kinds - bytes, int's, floats, etc. How can I do this and then be able to reference the individual fields efficiently?

If I define a custom type containing these fields, and then define an array of instances of that type, will that store a whole bunch of pointers to instances, or will it only store the instances in sequence?

Robert(Posted 2005) [#2]
Strings, Arrays and any other types of Object in BlitzMAX are all references (ie. pointers, but with nicer syntax).

I believe that array elements are stored sequentially, but if you define an array of a custom type, the array elements will be pointers to the instances.

For example:

Local items:Object[3]

items[0]=New TList
items[1]=New TList
items[2]=New TList

Print Int(Varptr items[0])
Print Int(Varptr items[1])
Print Int(Varptr items[2])

You can see that the array elements are stored sequentially, and occupy 4 bytes each, not the size of a TList object.

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2005) [#3]
Hmm ok. So I might have to either treat all of the fields as bytes and in an array of bytes, and `combine` them after reading them or `split` them before writing.

Or maybe I can make it so all my fields are floats or something. Or have a separate array for each data type - probably a good idea.

This is for a particle engine - the memory accesses need to be really fast and minimal.

Robert(Posted 2005) [#4]

This is for a particle engine - the memory accesses need to be really fast and minimal.

I really don't think you need to worry about the cost of dereferencing a pointer. It is absolutely minimal in comparison to the costs of whatever else your program might be doing. Have a look at the code for some of the BlitzMAX functions, and you'll see how much goes on for even some of the simple calls.

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2005) [#5]
Actually it does matter when you're thinking about processing several million particles.

Robert(Posted 2005) [#6]
How many of these particles are actually going to be visible in any one frame though?

Dreamora(Posted 2005) [#7]
7000-10000 in maximum until BM will break with default 2D drivers ... so I don't think you will have to fear this kind of "performance problem" if you are not going to create your own rendering engine / driver

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2005) [#8]
I will be using direct OpenGL. Not necessarily all of the particles will be drawn but all of those that are off-screen still need to continue their full physics interactions at all times.

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2005) [#9]
I think I will probably have to settle for a slightly less `realistic` simulation. I think that so long as it mostly `looks like` it is behaving correctly that would be good enough.

Cajun17(Posted 2005) [#10]
I've never had any intrest in them, but you could use a bank. You'd have to keep up with how many of each data type you have, but you can store anything in a bank.

I'm pretty sure it works like an array of bytes. So if you wanted the 4th short from the start of the bank you'd do bank.peekshort(7).

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2005) [#11]
Hmm. Well, the thing I don't like about using banks is that you have to either call a function or pass the number of the bank to call every time. It's faster to use array access on a real array.

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2005) [#12]
If you're using OpenGL directly, I think you'd be better off using C to do what you want.