podWAR pre alpha screen

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/podWAR pre alpha screen

Drastik(Posted 2005) [#1]

A couple screens of one of my projects (nearing completion).

And.. that's all I'm saying for now. :)

Just looking for feedback on the general look of the game. Don't be too harsh, it's programmer art. :)

Chris C(Posted 2005) [#2]
looks like artilary on planetoids, neat idea, and the graphics dont look too bad

Grisu(Posted 2005) [#3]
Think the gfxs are a bit too bright. Else its fine.

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2005) [#4]
I presume the asteroid thing is not destructible though? Looks interesting, nonetheless.

Oddball(Posted 2005) [#5]
It does have a definate Warheads look about it. Is it played over several planets at once, or are both players always on the same planet?

Drastik(Posted 2005) [#6]
Grisu: Brightness is a hard thing to gauge, given that color/gamma is different on every configuration. Anyone else think i should darken things a bit?

AngelDaniel: I'm playing with some code right now to allow limited destructibility (ala worms), more for the sake of eye candy than anything. Not sure if this will make it into the first release though.

Oddball: Each match takes place on a single planet, although I plan to have several planets of different sizes in the final build.

Gameplay is something along the lines of scorched earth, but with alot of changes/enhancements, obviously. The finished game will feature two player hotseat, pbem and network support, although the network code is in the planning stage at the moment (shouldn't take long to get working).

I've toyed with the idea of a.i. opponents, as I realize that exclusively multiplayer games have a limited appeal, but I think this really doesn't convey the spirit of the game.

I'm also working on a matchmaking service, which I hope will make it into the finished game.

The game is designed to be easy to learn and be something you can pick up and play for a few minutes, for those of us with short attention spans. :)

skn3(Posted 2005) [#7]
looks interesting, but that planet/asteroid is a bit shabby. You can clearly see it is constructed with many filters, and looks flat. Perhaps a rendered, bumpmapped, noise added sphere is a good idea :?

Drastik(Posted 2005) [#8]
And a rendered, bumpmapped, noise added sphere looks awful with chunks blown out of it, as the shading goes all to hell.

There IS a method to my madness. :)

Anywho, as I mentioned above, there will be a number of planets in the final version, so I'll take this into consideration.

I was mostly just concerned with making sure that I don't have a '12 year old with paint' thing going on. :)