3D engine up for a good wrapping...

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/3D engine up for a good wrapping...

Skitchy(Posted 2005) [#1]
http://www.radonlabs.de/nebula.html

As far as I can tell, as long as you include their copyright notices its FREEEE.
And its been used to make AAA games (details also on the website).
The only major drawback that I can see is that there are no exporters - except the one for Maya which costs $$$

However, if somebody wrote some import code for .b3d then we could just use B3DPipeline and the miriad of other Blitz-supported-exporters. [/LARGE HINT]

Anyway, doubtless its been mentioned before - but perhaps not for BMax. I noticed that somebody already wrapped Iirlicht, so I'm sure Nebula would be no problem ;)

N(Posted 2005) [#2]
I thoroughly support the killing off of this idea.

Skitchy(Posted 2005) [#3]
May I ask why?
http://www.radonlabs.de/nebula/downloads/nebulafeatures_eng.pdf
Seriously?

slenkar(Posted 2005) [#4]
Irrlicht was a lot of work, it will be unlikely that anyone will do it.No harm in asking though.
What About nebula 2??

GW(Posted 2005) [#5]
Because Noel has is own hard to use, obscure, buggy 3d engine and he doesnt like competition. :D

N(Posted 2005) [#6]
Skitchy: I take it you've never seen Nebula's source code?

Let me put it this way, whatever Irrlicht has wrapped still isn't finished, and Irrlicht isn't near as complex or fully-featured as Nebula and Nebula 2. Wrapping Nebula would be a futile task, so if you want to use it it's better if you just use C++.

gman(Posted 2005) [#7]
@Noel - what components of Irrlicht are not yet finished in the wrapper? Irrlicht development itself is not yet complete, but all available classes and structures of Irrlicht have been wrapped are currently available. maybe i just misread your post?

as for Nebula, Noel is correct. it took me around a month at about 25 hours per week get Irrlicht wrapped and working. Nebula is considerably larger. its not impossible, but someone would need to be willing to put forth considerable time and effort.

N(Posted 2005) [#8]
Irrlicht development itself is not yet complete

That's what I meant. Bad wording on my part.