Trinity3D Open Source

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Trinity3D Open Source

AntonyWells(Posted 2005) [#1]
Here's the latest build, full source included,

http://s93153354.onlinehome.us/trinity/trinity.rar

copy into your blitzmax\mod\ folder to run.

this was (Edit-Is)used to power rifa, has various features including materials, textures, specular masking, pipelines, highspeed visulizers, collisions etc.

You may use this to extend it or in your own commercial or freeware games.

you may not base a commercial 3d engine off it.

I'll document each section soon enough to make additions easier.

Personally I only will use changes for my own games, not a commercial engine, as the rules apply to me also obviously.

I'll include any additions in the full package once every night to keep things sane.

Perturbatio(Posted 2005) [#2]
ummm... link?

N(Posted 2005) [#3]
Will include link in a sec, once evak uploads it.

I'll mirror it for you once it's up.

Perturbatio(Posted 2005) [#4]
note to self, stop skimming posts...

N(Posted 2005) [#5]
Note to self, kill the gnomes who live in the closet.

AntonyWells(Posted 2005) [#6]
http://s93153354.onlinehome.us/trinity/trinity.rar

Thank evak, or else. (And noel too. belatedly of course)

N(Posted 2005) [#7]
My thanks be unto the Evak.

N(Posted 2005) [#8]
http://mybignose.f2o.org/Trinity.rar

Mirrored happily ever after.

Perturbatio(Posted 2005) [#9]
I get errors on compile:
C:/Program Files/BlitzMax/mod/dsi.mod/physics.mod/intersect.c:386:50: warning: backslash and newline separated by space
Compiling:entity.bmx
flat assembler  version 1.51
39 passes, 0.1 seconds, 154681 bytes.
Archiving:entity.debug.win32.a
Compiling:camera.bmx
5 passes, 21759 bytes.
Archiving:camera.debug.win32.a
Compiling:draw.bmx
5 passes, 23839 bytes.
Archiving:draw.debug.win32.a
Compiling:Light.bmx
6 passes, 15681 bytes.
Archiving:Light.debug.win32.a
Compiling:loader.bmx
6 passes, 20948 bytes.
Archiving:loader.debug.win32.a
Compiling:loader3ds.bmx
6 passes, 34446 bytes.
Archiving:loader3ds.debug.win32.a
Compiling:loaderb3d.bmx
Compile Error: Module does not match commandline module
[C:/Program Files/BlitzMax/mod/dsi.mod/loaderb3d.mod/loaderb3d.bmx;3;17]

that last one could be because of this line:
Module DIO.B3dIO

Perturbatio(Posted 2005) [#10]
sfx.bmx has incorrect module name as well.

AntonyWells(Posted 2005) [#11]
bear in mind this was wrote on a very old beta version of bmax. i'll be re-coding it starting from tomorrow so expect a cleaner build then.

(I.e one that works)

sfx.mod?

Perturbatio(Posted 2005) [#12]
changing the module lines to DSI.<modulename> works.

AntonyWells(Posted 2005) [#13]
can you upload/e-mail a working version please cos i'm not sure what you mean and i don't want to find out the hard way :)

AntonyWells(Posted 2005) [#14]
mother humper I can't get nothing to work..
Why is bmax telling me tenngine cannot be found?

I've been away too long.

AntonyWells(Posted 2005) [#15]
can someone remind how to set up mingw for bmax? I have it installed..just can't remember how to set up the paths

N(Posted 2005) [#16]
Start -> Control Panel -> System -> Advanced -> Environment Variables

Then, add a new variable under System Variables called "MINGDIR" with the path to your MinGW directory (not bin, just the root, like C:\MinGW [mine is "G:\MinGW" without the "'s]).
Select the variable PATH under System Variables, click Edit, and append the path to MinGW's BIN, INCLUDE, and LIB directories. Restart any applications that will use it (and command prompts) and it should work.

AntonyWells(Posted 2005) [#17]
cheers. is it just me or has the mingw download disappeared from their site?

man it never used to be this hard surely.

klepto2(Posted 2005) [#18]
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=2435&package_id=82721

They have changed their install routine. So the Package only contains a installer which downloads all needed files from their host.

[Edit]
MinGW 3.101 Download here :
http://prdownloads.sf.net/mingw/MinGW-3.1.0-1.exe?download

Perturbatio(Posted 2005) [#19]
can you upload/e-mail a working version please cos i'm not sure what you mean and i don't want to find out the hard way :)

I can explain what I mean relatively easily:

one of the errors I got was in dsi.mod/loaderb3d.mod/loaderb3d.bmx

I changed the Module line in loaderb3d to reflect the correct pathing.
i.e.
Module DSI.LoaderB3D

this resolved that one and I did similar for sfx.
It then compiles easily.

My guess is that you changed the module directory names at some point, and since you never modified that module, never had to recompile it and so didn't spot the error.

AntonyWells(Posted 2005) [#20]
Works now.

Thanks Klepto,Perp.

Robert(Posted 2005) [#21]
Hi,

Are there any examples available Antony?

AntonyWells(Posted 2005) [#22]
not really. atm i'm working on something else in b3d so can't really do any either, but one day i'd like to finish this up and do some.

i could release the rifa code that uses it i guess if anyone's interested.

Robert(Posted 2005) [#23]

i could release the rifa code that uses it i guess if anyone's interested.

That would be useful :)

AntonyWells(Posted 2005) [#24]
this is not a part of the official release, but here goes.

(nick it and you will pay a great consequence.(I'll send the boys round :) )

Chris C(Posted 2005) [#25]
is there a simpler example?

this one wont compile and if it did theres no
scripts / 3d objects to go with it

engine code looks good tho..

AntonyWells(Posted 2005) [#26]
not at the moment. i'm working on rifa but back in blitz3d.
can't be arsed with trinity to be totally and brutally blunt. :)

mark's 3d stuff has put me off for life :)

Chris C(Posted 2005) [#27]
hmmm but I dont fancy waiting 6+ months...

modules compile with changes

the above code wont compile cause it cant
find TLight but it is in the module??

AntonyWells(Posted 2005) [#28]
yeah sorry for the mess, i'll try and sort it eventually.

as for mark's, neither can i, hence a return to b3d for now.

i wish mark, nay i hope mark releases the 3d engine in beta form too. or includes me on the beta program through an act of sheer madness :)

klepto2(Posted 2005) [#29]
Antony, Maybe you can just post a small example of maybe a spinning cube. Its just to see the main structure of the rendering system.

I only got a window working this far but everything i have tried to let the engine render something fails. So a little
example of a framework would be very nice.

AntonyWells(Posted 2005) [#30]
i'll come clean. i did in fact try to continue rifa bmax, but got so frustrated with trinity i gave up and wend back to b3d.

there is a reason for this..it doesn't work anymore..might be a new glew thingy...but...LEG IT!

Red Ocktober(Posted 2005) [#31]
Anthony... YOU ARE THE MAN!!!

this is some neat stuff... looking over it now...

i'm sure it'll come up to snuff with a lil work...

THANKS

--Mike

Proger(Posted 2005) [#32]
Please....write simple sample...

AntonyWells(Posted 2005) [#33]
ok,

Main:TEngine = new TEngine
main.findmode(640,480,32)
Cube:TEntity = Prefab.Cube(25)

Visuals:TBatch = new TBatch
Camera:TCamera = new TCamera

Visuals.AddCamera(Camera) 'might be set camera

Visuals.AddEntity( Cube)

Visuals.Sync()

Cube.UsePipeline( New TStaticBuffer )

Repeat
   Main.Cls(T_Color )
   Cube.Rotate( 0,mousex(),0 )
   Visuals.Render()
   Main.Flip()

forever

something like that. in theory.

AntonyWells(Posted 2005) [#34]
there's a bunch of mark style tform funcs(or one) in the matrix lib for help with camera placement btw.

Picklesworth(Posted 2005) [#35]
Thundering typhoons, it's huge!!

Just thought I'd point out the obvious.

AntonyWells(Posted 2005) [#36]
It's not worth using it anyway tbh. I've just decided to do my 3rd engine as no presently availiable option is doing it for me and my games.

Think I'll just call this one Vivid2.0.

Picklesworth(Posted 2005) [#37]
Well, good luck then.
Your engines so far have had an increase in quality, and you obviously know what you're doing, so I have high hopes for this one.
Oh, and the fact that... *Cough*prepaid*Cough*

AntonyWells(Posted 2005) [#38]
Lol, you have a funny concept of prepaid, but I guess I do owe at least 26 people a free copy, and you'd be one. :)

Filax(Posted 2005) [#39]
Any chance to see screenshot in action ?

AntonyWells(Posted 2005) [#40]
Evak posted some videos of Rifa awhile back, but I never did any other demos/tests so..can't really put any up.

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2005) [#41]
Sweet. I too had started a 3d engine in Max, using terrabits code as a base, then adding key features that i myself needed.

i failed when it came to collisions :( oh.. And it doesnt compile anymore..since about 0.4 or 0.5...

SO , Thats the reason alot of people went back to b3d- So, i have alot of respect for someone who gets an engine this far through. Its more use than nothing :)

AntonyWells(Posted 2005) [#42]
Heh well I actually got collision code working(Much to my surprise. I was pretty sure I accidentally run a b3d app the first time it worked) but came a cropper when it came to accurately loading and displaying multi-limbed b3d entities.
They'll melt your face off just for the fun of it.

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2005) [#43]
heh, I managed to get the B3D files working- though, i dont know / *Remember* how anymore...o.o

AntonyWells(Posted 2005) [#44]
Damn it, there goes my next question :)

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2005) [#45]
I dont think i have the source, as i wiped out my old Max folder, however, should i have it I can remind myself ;)

AntonyWells(Posted 2005) [#46]
I would offer the collision code I did in return, but unless Evak has a file called 'collision.bmx' on his hd somewhere, we're both out of luck.

Evak? :)

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2005) [#47]
I could ask him later? :P hehe. I think his puter's been changed too, like mine :/

Im pretty sure my code was just heavy modifications to pre-existing code, probably by terrabit- Until it worked. Multiple Cameras, Alpha texturing, it had *some* collision but i couldnt find what was doing it, plus, when i scaled the camera, the collision broke (odd!!!)

AntonyWells(Posted 2005) [#48]
Yeah he got a nice 3.4ghz megatron hal varient cpu, 2 gb of light ram, and a fibre optic mouse, all to go with his state of the art..err, geforce3. (Sorry evak, couldn't resist :) )

Nice thing about the collision code I had was it was linepick like, which is the most useful of all collision funcs in b3d..won't be hard to recode though, hopefully. I'll send it your way if i do and you still need it.

ziggy(Posted 2005) [#49]
I can't compile the cube example, I've installed the mods, but BlitzMax says:

Compile Error: Identifier 'TEngine' not found
Build Error: failed to compile D:/Archivos de programa/The Factory.ws/BLIde/trinityDemo1.bmx

Any idea? It seems very ilogical to me...

ziggy(Posted 2005) [#50]
I also get errors when tring to makemods:

[D:/Archivos de programa/BlitzMax/mod/dsi.mod/sfx.mod/sfx.bmx;3;18]
Build Error: failed to compile D:/Archivos de programa/BlitzMax/mod/dsi.mod/sfx.
mod/sfx.bmx

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2005) [#51]
I checked for my "engine" source code by the way- Definitely wiped out when i cleaned up max :(

Nice thing about the collision code I had was it was linepick like, which is the most useful of all collision funcs in b3d..won't be hard to recode though, hopefully. I'll send it your way if i do and you still need it.

Thatd be cool. When i was about 12, i could do alot of all this, but then i never needed it because i preferred 2D- and now i cant seem to get my head around it :)

Picklesworth(Posted 2006) [#52]
Has anyone played with this engine and/or managed to get it working in today's BlitzMax?

For obvious reasons, its original incarnation will not work anymore (first problem being that MemAlloced was replaced by GCMemAlloced).
Regardless, it seems like a worthwhile engine to mess around with since it is completely open source, reasonably featureful, and written entirely in BlitzMax.
The only thing that may be a problem is that it's not a wrapper of Ogre, so it isn't perfect. (And may have compatibility problems).

Sorry to anyone whose engines I'm interested in; I still am interested in your engines, but as I learn things (or solve things) I tend to get off task and explore others until I am completely sure. These alternatives usually send me screaming back to the first choice, so nothing to worry about.

AdrianT(Posted 2006) [#53]
well trinity was what ant was going to build raptor from, using MiniB3D to load meshes. The old trinity was badly flawed in that the transforms only worked for the parent and didn't parse through the children, so you got a ton of bad rotations with anything but the most simple scenes.

It didn't support bones or heirarchy anim either, unless it was all done by hand in code. Specular worked through some kind of blendmode trick, and you had to have a map same name as the regular texture with an name_S for specular map on UV1, and name_S2 for specular map on UV2.

You could do some cool things with it, but it was written within the first 5 weeks of the Bmax beta being released. So pretty rushed and incomplete.