S-UI

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/S-UI

Stuart Morgan(Posted 2005) [#1]

This is a skinnable GUI that I am working on. Sorry no source.

Download - http://www.stuartmorgan.5gigs.com/Tmp/SUI_AlphaDemo.zip

Let me know what you think.

Stuart Morgan(Posted 2005) [#2]

Just made a Classic Windows skin for it as well.

Regular K(Posted 2005) [#3]
Looks really good, keep going :D

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2005) [#4]
Oh no, it's classic windows!

How about a nicer looking setup?

Xip(Posted 2005) [#5]
yeas, Very nice! if i dont have time and lust, to write my own, i might use your fore some of my projekts! :)
nice work m8 :)

Xip(Posted 2005) [#6]
By the way, i realy like your windows classic skin!*tanx!* i prefer windows classic before most(if not all) other skins!:)

[Edit] Downloaded and noticed that you dident share any source:P hehe, dooh!, :P, when can we expekt any source?

also, I found what looks like an graphical bug, the font in the "button test" window is Pink on my laptop(and not like the other windows, or on you "button test" image abouve), one can berly read it here.
[/Edit]

Stuart Morgan(Posted 2005) [#7]
How about a nicer looking setup?

Thats all I have finished so far! Windows, buttons and labels. (You dont want to see a whole screen full of buttons do you?) :-)

[Edit] Downloaded and noticed that you dident share any source:P hehe, dooh!, :P, when can we expekt any source?

Its a bit messy and experimental at the moment, maybe when it is more complete.

also, I found what looks like an graphical bug, the font in the "button test" window is Pink on my laptop(and not like the other windows, or on you "button test" image abouve), one can berly read it here.

Thats very strange. Does it only happen in that one window?

Bremer(Posted 2005) [#8]
Looks pretty good for what you have so far and the speed is nice too. Is this based on max2d or openGL and quads?

Stuart Morgan(Posted 2005) [#9]
Looks pretty good for what you have so far and the speed is nice too. Is this based on max2d or openGL and quads?
Max2D

The speed is good because all gadgets are 'pre-rendered' for example, a gadget is created at startup and drawn into an image array for each of the gadget states ie. minimised, clicked, disabled.

The advantage of doing this means you only have to draw one image per gadget per frame.

The disadvantage of doing this means every time you resize a window for example you have to recreate the image, which may be a bit slow realtime.

Bremer(Posted 2005) [#10]
I use a similar technique for my blitzPlus/blitz3D gui, and it works really good and gets good overall speed. I like the simple style you got going on the first image. Looking forward to see it more complete as you are off to a good start here.

Xip(Posted 2005) [#11]
Well, im not shure i whod use this teknike for some extra fps, but it seems to work OK anyway :)

and oh, the bug, hmm... here is an dump :)

looks very strange to me, there seems to be some type of Font problems to.

Stuart Morgan(Posted 2005) [#12]
and oh, the bug, hmm... here is an dump :)

I cant seem to reproduce the bug that you are getting. I dont have a clue where the pink is coming from around that text?
It also looks like the vertical alignment is out by 1 pixel.

This is a bit tricky to fix if you cant make it happen yourself! Sorry. :-(
It seems it only happens on your laptop but I will see if I can narrow it down a bit.

Kernle 32DLL_2(Posted 2005) [#13]
looks nice. I have 1000fps...,not bad but the refreshing rate is not really good. eye cancer !!

FrEeMaN

Stuart Morgan(Posted 2005) [#14]
looks nice. I have 1000fps...,not bad but the refreshing rate is not really good. eye cancer !!

1000 Fps!!! thats crazy. I really do have a *slow* system. :-(

I set the Graphics command at...
Graphics 1024,768,16,-1
to test how fast it will be. Not good for refreshing I know.

Xip(Posted 2005) [#15]
Well, I dont know were the problem is, i have never had any problems with any GL or DX program running on my laptop.

it is cinde of hard to pin-point the source of error :/
sorry i codent be to more help over here m8.

Stuart Morgan(Posted 2005) [#16]
Just updated the demo, see first post at top.

Perturbatio(Posted 2005) [#17]
nice, runs smoothly (constant 60fps, presumably you've locked it now).
1-2ms update time

Stuart Morgan(Posted 2005) [#18]
nice, runs smoothly (constant 60fps, presumably you've locked it now).
1-2ms update time

Thanks. Yes its locked now using default refresh rate.

Dont think framerate is going to be an issue with this GUI once you take into account the system I'm developing it on. (kinda forces you to optimize everything!) :-D

Perturbatio(Posted 2005) [#19]
are you planning this as a commercial GUI or freeware/PD?

Stuart Morgan(Posted 2005) [#20]
are you planning this as a commercial GUI or freeware/PD?

Havn't decided yet depends how good it is when its finished, hehe!

Perturbatio(Posted 2005) [#21]
I see, in that case, it looks really crap. ;)

Stuart Morgan(Posted 2005) [#22]

I see, in that case, it looks really crap. ;)

I was waiting for that. :-D

It really depends if people want a half-assed freeware version or a well supported version?
Like I say it depends, but I doubt I will charge anything for it.

Perturbatio(Posted 2005) [#23]
I'd suggest you do a light version and a full commercial one. (if you get it to a commercial standard).
The light version could be compiled object files or alternatively for non-commercial use only.

GW(Posted 2005) [#24]
Id suggest you make it free so the so that your not obligated to fix crazy bugs like the one above if you dont want to. ;)

Stuart Morgan(Posted 2005) [#25]

Heres another skin I have just finished, much nicer than the default. I call it the phantom skin (completely no idea why?) :-D

Xip(Posted 2005) [#26]
Wooow! holy shit! that is a nice skin ;)
Me want! :P

Stuart Morgan(Posted 2005) [#27]
@Xip - Did you try the new demo, has it still got those crazy errors when you run it on your laptop?

Xip(Posted 2005) [#28]
Well, i gues this wasent what you wanted to see... sorry m8:(

hope you solve it :)

hmm, since this is somting that might happen more on other systems(and i NEVER had any problems on other non Blitz applications), maby we shod inform Mark about this issue?
but this is also the first blitz app that made this strange effekt on my laptop :/

N(Posted 2005) [#29]
That's a really quite nice skin, Stuart.

Stuart Morgan(Posted 2005) [#30]
I decided that this GUI will be available for free as its not particulary special apart from the single image gadgets, amazing framerate performance and brilliant skins. :-D

I havn't had much time to work on it lately though as I have been enjoying the rare English hot weather too much.

hope you solve it :)

I'm sure once I release the source code it will be much easier to sort that problem out. (could be a Blitz bug?)

That's a really quite nice skin, Stuart.

Thanks, got a few more I want to make yet! :-)

Eric Draven(Posted 2005) [#31]
Hi, I would like to use S-UI, I tried to download several times but I can't access your site. I aways get a "Server not found" error.

Could you upload it to another server, or sent to me by email? (Email in my profile)

Thanks.

Stuart Morgan(Posted 2005) [#32]
Hi, I would like to use S-UI, I tried to download several times but I can't access your site. I aways get a "Server not found" error.

Could you upload it to another server, or sent to me by email? (Email in my profile)

Thanks.

Here try this - http://www.geocities.com/stuart_morgan2003/SUI_AlphaDemo.zip

BTW there is no source code yet, just a demo.

Xip(Posted 2005) [#33]
@Stuart: pleas inform us when ther is source aviable, im working on an cartoon(soutpark style)/animation tool, that needs a gui, but i dont have the energy to write my own... grrrr....

do you have any time estimates?:D

whenever your redy for releas, il be here jumping, up and down ;)

also, im guesing "my" problem is an combination of strange laptop gfx card, and bmax.
not shure it is an error that can be solved by 3rd hand programmers... i think Mark is the one (follow the white rabbit Mark!) to go to.