HighGUI V0.0.1 (Blitz Max)

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/HighGUI V0.0.1 (Blitz Max)

Diablo(Posted 2005) [#1]

The free GUI created by Diablo!

Current List of Features:
- Windows
- Menubars
-- Dashes
-- Checkables
- Checkboxes
- Textboxes
- Pctureboxes
- Labels
- Buttons
- Skinable enviroment
- Progress bars
- Options
- Tab pages
- list boxes
- Spinner
- Combobox

There is a test.bmx file include which gives an example of how to program with it.

NOTE: All user function beign with Hi<FunctionName> e.g. HiClicked

Download it from here:
Download Here!

Check out the worklog:
HigGUI Worklog

Feel free to play with the source code!

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2005) [#2]
It looks functional, though reminds me of the state things were back in 1990 with Amiga OS 1.3

Perturbatio(Posted 2005) [#3]
It looks functional, though reminds me of the state things were back in 1990 with Amiga OS 1.3

Workbench was not that colourful.

Diablo(Posted 2005) [#4]
Updated the code last night. Supports better skining with a GUI.ini that contains file sizes and control colours.

To skins are provided:
- WindowsXP
- Defualt (Ice cool)

Added grouped option boxes as well as fixing some pointless problems.

Download Here!

ziggy(Posted 2005) [#5]
It looks much better now. :D
Just some bugs I've found:
-Text high is not well calculated if you're not using the default BlitzMax font (menus and buttons not well draw).
-Tab navigation (is it possible?)
-Progress bar drawing over the 3D edge
-The background is shown before displaying the dialog box

Anyway, good job :)

*Edit: The Default skin is not working (I think there may be missing files)

Diablo(Posted 2005) [#6]
I'll be working on tabs as soon as possible. and i'll create a reame on programming with and on creating custom skins, its easy just edit the graphics and the GUI.ini file. defualt is missing its GUI.ini file i'll correct it later.
btw the progress bar doesn't draw over the 3d edge you just got to move the bottm one down 3 pixels.
I'll try and fix the font problem later too.
The background is drawn because of how the msgbox is done. it grabs a screenshot and then draw it.

thx for the feedback i'll take it outa beta when it's more stable!

Diablo(Posted 2005) [#7]
ok, to get defualt theme to work create a GUI.ini in the same dir as the defualt graphics and past this code in it:

DaY(Posted 2005) [#8]
i keep getting a server timmed out error every time i try b ut good work looks quite cool :)

Diablo(Posted 2005) [#9]
try it from the savefile site:
Which Is Here!

My offical web host has disappered leaving only a link where i can get a hit counter :( - never mind, never had to pay of it any way :)

Booticus(Posted 2005) [#10]
DIABLO this is pretty cool! Thanks!

Diablo(Posted 2005) [#11]
Its been a long time, i know, but i have done a lot:
- Added tabs
- Added List boxes
- Improved theme support, yet again! (textheight!?)
- Improved text box support
- General bug fixes
- Uses a no defualt font for the example.
- Vastly improve frame rate (50 - 60, 220 - 250) thanks to finding out drawimagerect() ;)

Todo
- Combo boxes
- Documentation
- Some more defualt windows, i.e. save file, open file, etc.

Download it from here:
Download Here!

N(Posted 2005) [#12]
You know that the thumbnail doesn't point to a screenshot resembling it, right?

Diablo(Posted 2005) [#13]
yes. Its not a thumbnail anymore tho, thats the actual size! till i make a bigger one.

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2005) [#14]
that's cus he changed the image since i commented

N(Posted 2005) [#15]
I blame you for all the bad things in the world then, Daniel.

GW(Posted 2005) [#16]
The zip file is corrupted. ;(

N(Posted 2005) [#17]
Worked here.

GW(Posted 2005) [#18]
Can someone provide an alternate link. Doesnt work in IE or firefox

N(Posted 2005) [#19]
I just tried downloading now (I use Firefox), and it worked fine. So I can't imagine what that problem is on your end.

Perturbatio(Posted 2005) [#20]
works fine for me in firefox too.

GW(Posted 2005) [#21]
I click on the link, and I can see from my router that its downloading, but nothing happens. then after a few seconds, I get the dialog to download or open, either one i choose in both browsers results in a 0 byte zip file.

N(Posted 2005) [#22]
Wouldn't it be a good idea to check your router?

Diablo(Posted 2005) [#23]
New update includes
- Added Text functions e.g. multiline
- Added Spinner
- Added Combobox
- Improved scroll bars
- General bug fixes
- Uses a non-defualt font for the example.

Todo
- Documentation
- Some more defualt windows, i.e. save file, open file, etc.

Download it from here:
Download Here!

Stuart Morgan(Posted 2005) [#24]
This is a good I like it, but a couple of *minor* things I have noticed.

1) Multiline textbox doesnt automatically go to the next line when you are typing and reach the end of a line. (You have to press return at the end)

2) The moving rectangle (scroller) in the scrollbar could be a bit bigger so its easier to scroll. Maybe adjust the size to how many items there are in the list/combobox?

As I said these are minor things, but overall good work! Looking forward to seeing how this progresses.

Diablo(Posted 2005) [#25]
1) Multiline textbox doesnt automatically go to the next line when you are typing and reach the end of a line. (You have to press return at the end)

fixed that.

2) The moving rectangle (scroller) in the scrollbar could be a bit bigger so its easier to scroll. Maybe adjust the size to how many items there are in the list/combobox?

and that. :)

thx for the bug reports.

NEW RELEASE
I've decided to take it out of beta now, the latest version includes

- two new themes
- improved scroll bars
- improved the message boxes (They don't flash the background)
- Improved tabs
- Improved Textboxes
- And much more that i can't remember ;)

Download it from here:
Download Here!

klepto2(Posted 2005) [#26]
The Test sample doesn't work here, I always get this error :

Compile Error: Identifier type does not match declared type

I could locate the error in that line :

If ListItem(kMyListbox.HiGetSelectedItem()) <> Null Then stext:String = ListItem(kMyListbox.HiGetSelectedItem()).m_stext

When I comment out these if states the test runs fine but then the selection of items doesn't work correctly.

BTW: Very nice GUI. And then for free. I'm simply impressed.

[Edit:]

Hah, I've found the error :

change the above line to :

If ListItem(kMyListbox.HiGetSelectedItem()) <> Null Then local stext:String = ListItem(kMyListbox.HiGetSelectedItem()).m_stext

Xip(Posted 2005) [#27]
Looks nice m8 :)
but after a short peek in the source, i think that you shod take a look on polymorfism in bmax, you can make your source ALOT smaler and less messy, and still do what you do here, for example, you have Tons of TList objekts for each type of winGadjet(progressbar, buttons, images and so on), but you only need one if you use some nice strukturd polymorfism, and that goes for each of the different function in the main window render method, that renders all sub objects. you only need One function to handle all of them :)
and it might save you TONS of lines, and alot of work to :)
only a friendly advice ofcorse, but other than that, i Think you have done a realy nice work here :)
keep up the nice work m8 :D

oh by the way, cant use this sinse it requers Irlitsh(however that is spelled), and i dont want to install more stuff on my laptop.

happy coding :D

klepto2(Posted 2005) [#28]
It doesn't need Irrlicht, it seems only be needed by the compiled test.exe. if you compile the source it will run.

Diablo(Posted 2005) [#29]
sorry about it needin that i put the module in my mods, didn't know it would have that effect. :(

but after a short peek in the source, i think that you shod take a look on polymorfism in bmax, you can make your source ALOT smaler and less messy, and still do what you do here, for example, you have Tons of TList objekts for each type of winGadjet(progressbar, buttons, images and so on), but you only need one if you use some nice strukturd polymorfism, and that goes for each of the different function in the main window render method, that renders all sub objects. you only need One function to handle all of them :)

i'll try and make the code less messy, the only thing was written without planning but know its almost all there i can have a good sort through.

Xip(Posted 2005) [#30]
Polymorhpism is hard to implement when evrything alredy is in there, i think you whod have to rewrite it all from the begining(i know i whod) if you dont want to get lost in the messy:nes ;)

well, poymorfism is ofcorse not somting people must use, but in your case, it might make the total amont of lines down to 1/8 or less... i think its worth it :)

sorry for my spelling, and any missanderstanding that might add :)

Diablo(Posted 2005) [#31]
i have basicly re-written it now. no d/l at the mo but i can tell you that its kinda of crazy now, everything can be a parent which means that you could put a window inside a picture box.

Still got to re-write menubars, spinner & combo boxes but once its done i'll also make a GUI editor, Custom window editor & Custom control editor.

bty you wont have to input the sizes of each frame for a custom skin anymore & I have introduced effects, so you can have simple shadows & fancy shadows, fade out effects & such like.

WendellM(Posted 2005) [#32]
Sounds interesting, Diablo; I look forward to seeing the new version in action. The fade-in/out stuff could be cool (like a button "morphing" into a slider when it's pressed or some such :) ).

Perturbatio(Posted 2005) [#33]
have you added function pointers yet? it would be good to go:
myButton.OnClicked = MyClickHandlingFunction

instead of wrapping HiClicked() in an if statement.

*EDIT*
also it doesn't work in strict mode because you are using goto.

Xip(Posted 2005) [#34]
looking forward to take a deep dive in you source m8 ;)

Don999(Posted 2005) [#35]
stupid question: how can i change the color of a window?

Num3(Posted 2005) [#36]
None of the locations has the file!

Where can i get it ?

Diablo(Posted 2005) [#37]
this is an old topic go here:
http://blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=49260#553183

bty i've been busy doing other stuff for a while, however i'll be releasing a ew full version when i can. work on the editor is coming a long too and i hope to release it will the full version d\l.

Don999
you cant change the colours of the windows by changing a varible, who have to edit the themes.