No 3d???

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/No 3d???

SkyCube(Posted 2005) [#1]
Hi all,

I just bought BlitzMax (still trying to get it up and running), but from the examples it seems there is no support for 3D at all. Is this true?

Thanks for the info.

CoderLaureate(Posted 2005) [#2]
I think you might have to update the Open GL drivers for your video card.

Jeroen(Posted 2005) [#3]
SkyCube: If you are referring to commands that build/render/mutate a 3d world, then the answer is 'no'. The 3D module is under development, by BRL.

But, bMax is already using OpenGL so somehow you already are using 3D.

Perturbatio(Posted 2005) [#4]
And if you want to do 3D right now, you can learn to use the OpenGL commands (look for the nehe tutorial conversion on this forum).

LeisureSuitLurie(Posted 2005) [#5]
Also, some of the resident maniacs are rolling 3D engines for Max...

Amon_old(Posted 2005) [#6]
gman has converted the irrlicht engine which can be used with BlitzMax. Check the worklogs for it.

SkyCube(Posted 2005) [#7]
Right, I am reffering to the commands to create 3d worlds. Can you tell me where can I find the OpenGL tutorials?

Jeroen, you mean that in future versions, there wil be commands like those on Blitz3D? I hope so. I will try to use OpenGL in the meantime (if only I can get it to compile in Linux).

N(Posted 2005) [#8]
Jeroen, you mean that in future versions, there wil be commands like those on Blitz3D?

We don't actually know that it will be of the same structure as Blitz3D or resemble it in any way, but there will be a 3D module.

And don't get the idea that you'll get it for free, it's gonna cost you. Unless you use my 3D module.

Robert(Posted 2005) [#9]
@SkyCube

I'm sorry for sounding arrogant, but you should really read the product page before buying something.

The summary text for BlitzMAX says:

Create 2D Games for MacOS, Windows and Linux

The 3D module is Work-In-Progress, and will be released as another product which will have to be brought separately.

SkyCube(Posted 2005) [#10]
Right you are, Robert. I did not see that when I read about BlitzMax. I guess the whole idea of making games for Linux went to my head to quickly (serves me right). Still, I think Max is a good acquisition, and I will most certainly wait for the 3d Module.