max shouldnt depend on xcode

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/max shouldnt depend on xcode

Najdorf(Posted 2005) [#1]
If max for windows just needs mingw gcc whatever, that are small and open source, why should max for mac need xcode, that is 300 megs and not really "free"... (This complaint is mostly because I have access to "public" macs, I cant download 300 megs, but I'd like to compile max for mac)

JaviCervera(Posted 2005) [#2]
In fact, you do not need xCode, but the GCC compiler which comes with xCode.

bradford6(Posted 2005) [#3]
MAX design decisions should not be based on an individuals lack of a PC.

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2005) [#4]
ALso you do not need to install the entirity of xCode files, there is actually only one or two of the archives/packages that you need which takes up much less space.

Dreamora(Posted 2005) [#5]
this is no lack of a pc.

Users of your app don't need it and you dont need XCode / Mingw / GCC as well if you do not build your own modules.

But to compile crossplattform modules this is just needed and proofed as gcc is one of the most widely used c/c++ compilers on all 3 plattforms and far higher optimized than BM compiler can become within the "nearer" future.

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2005) [#6]
I thought XCode was needed in order to compile anything?

marksibly(Posted 2005) [#7]
Hi,

Ideally, yes, it'd be nice if Max didn't rely on XCode.

But to write an assembler/linker for the Mac would be a huge project in itself - esp. given that this side of the Mac is not well documented, and that the binary formats keep changing subtly every major MacOS release!

Indeed, to get as far as we have on the Mac has required an enormous amount of 'trial and error'.

But XCode does come free with MacOS (an excellent move on Apple's part there) so for most casual users it's just a case of installing from CD.