Performance issues

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Performance issues

rogue(Posted 2005) [#1]
When I run some of the samples they are really slow. The FirePaint demo and the RockOut demo are both examples of Samples that run slow. I built the non-debug versions of the apps on the PC (Windows). My machine is a 2.6 GHz, 1Gig RAM, with a Radeon AIW 9000 video card. All of my BlitzPlus apps run great, but so far I haven't been able to get good performance out of BlitzMax on the PC.

Anyone have any ideas? Is there something I am doing wrong? Is this still a beta product? I bought BlitzMax based on the features and how well BlitzPlus performed. I figured that BlitzMax would be as fast, but more feature rich. Now I am not so sure.

I do have to say that the documentation for BlitzMax is 100x better than the docs for BlitzPlus. Definitely becoming a more mature product.

- Ken

Perturbatio(Posted 2005) [#2]
most of the performance issues people have experienced are driver related. Make sure you have up to date (and stable) drivers.

rogue(Posted 2005) [#3]
Video drivers? OpenGL drivers?

Dreamora(Posted 2005) [#4]
Video Drivers: If your card is a real radeon 9000 then Catalyst 5.2 or equivalent drivers of your cards manufacturer or at least Catalyst 4.2+ if its OpenGL performance should be somewhere next to acceptable.

BlitzMax is not using DirectX but OpenGL which means totally different drivers.

rogue(Posted 2005) [#5]
Wow! All I can say is... sweet!

I am surprised the new drivers made such a difference, but there is obviously no performance problem with BlitzMax.

Mark Sibly, you have a great product here (but you already knew that).

Now I just need to figure out how to handle the migration of my BlitzPlus gadgets to BlitzMax.

Thanks guys.