BMax is very slow on my machine - help plz

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/BMax is very slow on my machine - help plz

3DBuzzFan(Posted 2005) [#1]
Hello.
I have just downloaded BMax Demo and tryied to run several samples programs that come with it.
They all work, but they are extremely slow.
I am forgetting to do something, perhaps?

Thanks
P.S.: I am a BP user, as well as a B3D user; They are both fast on my machine, but BMax is very slow. Is it because it is a demo version?

Yan(Posted 2005) [#2]
Make sure you have the latest drivers for you graphics card.

N(Posted 2005) [#3]
This is when you want to post your system specs.

Dreamora(Posted 2005) [#4]
This is because you graphics card or its drivers have quite bad problems with OpenGL

Robert(Posted 2005) [#5]
Hi 3DBuzzFan,

To find out what graphics card you have go to Start > Run, type in "dxdiag" and click OK. When DXDiag loads up, go to the Display tab.

If B3D works well on your machine then it is probably a simple case of old drivers.

3DBuzzFan(Posted 2005) [#6]
NVidia GForce2 Go (Toshiba) - it is a notebook.
16Mbytes, 1024x768.

I have checked NVidia's website and they do not have open gl drivers for my video board.

So, I guess I am going to have to try a desktop wirth some newer board right.

Thanks,

3DBuzzFan

skidracer(Posted 2005) [#7]
For laptops you need to check the manufacturer's site, I would try this one:

http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/su/su_sc_modSel.jsp

marksibly(Posted 2005) [#8]
Hi,

Video drivers include both DX and GL drivers, so just install the latest.

Dreamora(Posted 2005) [#9]
latest video drivers from manufacturers for GF2 go are older than usefull OpenGL support. you can install desktop drivers to mobile.

But check out http://www.geocities.com/madtoast/ for NVIDIA mobile drivers.

3DBuzzFan(Posted 2005) [#10]
Yes, Dreamora.
I have installed the latest version of the driver but speed still sucks.
I have checked other opengl games and their speed suck as well.
My DirectX games are fast, thou (UT2K3, Enter The Matrix).

So, it must be on my end (opengl-wise).

Thanks for the help.

MrCredo(Posted 2005) [#11]
i hope mark sibly create in some days a DirectX-2d/3d-Module for this... so that we can use opengl + directx (on windows only)

this can solve this problems...

Dreamora(Posted 2005) [#12]
Speed sucks: perhaps you just loaded more textures than your VRAM can handle? 16MB is 1 texture of the size 1024x1024 or 4 times 512x512 and not more

3DBuzzFan(Posted 2005) [#13]
Dreamora: nope; every single opengl program/game/demo that I have tried sucks - real bad, while all dx stuff runs well.
It definitely is my Geforce2 Go.

Thanks for the help

FlameDuck(Posted 2005) [#14]
I have a GeForce2Go in the TabletPC, and while performance isn't super great, it's usually good enough (especially for the samples included).

An out-of-date driver is the culprit - I'm sure Toshiba will supply you with a newer one off their website.

3DBuzzFan(Posted 2005) [#15]
Flameduck: I have downloaded a new driver, butit still is slow - better, but still slow.
Digesteroids, for instance, runs fine untill I hit a few cookies then speed falls dramaticaly.

Here are my specs:
Toshiba Satellite Notebook, PIII 850MHz, 128M RAM, GeForce2Go/16M VRAM
WinXP Professional

Dreamora(Posted 2005) [#16]
You need more RAM. 128MB are 128MB less than XP needs to run on a usefull level (XP itselfs needs around 200MB RAM when loaded)

This means that all samples write to conventional RAM on HD and operate from there instead of RAM -> worlds slower.

And if you are asking why DX doesn't have this problem: DX supports an exclusive mode. This forces its data into real RAM as long there are parts of XP which aren't needed at this moment, which will be transfered into conventional RAM.

3DBuzzFan(Posted 2005) [#17]
Dreamora: Thanks.
It is good to know what is happening.

Rui