seeking experienced 3d programmer volunteer

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/seeking experienced 3d programmer volunteer

gman(Posted 2005) [#1]
im seeking someone to do some light analysis work on the Irrlicht engine. all you need is the manual for this. ideally this would be someone that has already been reviewing the structure of Irrlicht and thought about how they would use it. probably looking at an hour max. if interested, please email me:

garritt@...

Bot Builder(Posted 2005) [#2]
What do you mean? Currently I'm workjing with irrlicht and c++, making a simple tic-tac-toe game, although I can't find letter models for the 3d menu...

I understand the node structure, although personnally the animators are pretty dumb and I'm using node->setPosition(node->getPosition()+translationv);

One thing thats dumb is that they dont seem too enthusiastic about my idea of adding b3d-like movement commands that make life much easier:

http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=6453

gman(Posted 2005) [#3]
hopefully i phrase this so it makes sense :)

the current flaw i see in my wrap of Irrlicht is just that... its a wrap. while working fantastic out of the box, its in the extending via BMAX area that has an issue. currently if you subclassed a type and overrode a method, you could call that method from BMAX and it would work just fine... but the C engine would not run the overridden code if it were to call that method (with the exception of the callback classes). now, while hashing out callback classes i have worked out a way to do this using function pointers. this will give the BMAX developer the ability to subclass a BMAX type, use BMAX code in overridden methods, and have it run by the C engine when the engine calls it. ideally the BMAX developer should be able to customize Irrlicht and not need to write any C code (unless they wanted to of course). another cool thing is that it doesnt take customization of the base Irrlicht engine.

since it would be a huge delay, im not going to perform what needs to be done on every class in Irrlicht so i want to try to determine what classes a 3d developer would most likely want to extend. the issue i have is im not knowledgable enough to have the foresight to know which classes those are. what i would like, is someone to review the available classes in Irrlicht and come up with a list of classes that would most likely need to be subclassable (preferably ordered from most to least likely). like ISceneNode for example... in order to create a custom node, this is a definate one that needs to be able to be subclassed. the namespaces of concentration would be scene, video, and gui.