gg.Irrlicht / gg.IrrBMAX - can you feel the love?

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/gg.Irrlicht / gg.IrrBMAX - can you feel the love?

gman(Posted 2005) [#1]
okay folks... i just finished converting the first Irrlicht sample (hello world). things went pretty well after a rather disgruntling copy/paste bug :) below is the converted sample without the comments (the final will have all relavant comments still in it). you can see the original with comments here or if you have the Irrlicht distribution, the samples are included.

Framework BRL.Blitz
Import gg.IrrBMAX

Strict

Local device:T_irrIrrlichtDevice=T_irrIrrlichtDevice.create(EDT_SOFTWARE,T_irrDimension2d_s32.create(640,480),16,False,False,False,0)

device.setWindowCaption("Hello World! - Irrlicht Engine Demo")

Local driver:T_irrIVideoDriver=device.getVideoDriver()
Local smgr:T_irrISceneManager=device.getSceneManager()
Local guienv:T_irrIGUIEnvironment=device.getGUIEnvironment()

guienv.addStaticText("Hello World! This is the Irrlicht Software renderer!",T_irrRect_s32.createFromVals(10,10,200,22),True)

Local mesh:T_irrIAnimatedMesh=smgr.getMesh("../media/sydney.md2")
Local node:T_irrIAnimatedMeshSceneNode=smgr.addAnimatedMeshSceneNode(mesh)

If node.handle<>0
	node.setMaterialFlag(EMF_LIGHTING,False)
	node.setFrameLoop(0,310)
	node.setMaterialTexture(0,driver.getTexture("../media/sydney.bmp"))
EndIf

smgr.addCameraSceneNode(0,T_irrVector3df.createFromVals(0,30,-40),T_irrVector3df.createFromVals(0,5,0))

While (device.run())

driver.beginScene(True,True,T_irrSColor.createFromVals(0,200,200,200))
	smgr.drawAll()
	guienv.drawAll()
	driver.endScene()

FlushMem
Wend

device.drop()

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2005) [#2]
So what is irrlicht?

N(Posted 2005) [#3]
A game engine.

http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/

pls(Posted 2005) [#4]
Sounds wonderfull... what is the status of the bmax module?

PLS

gman(Posted 2005) [#5]
just FYI, there is a worklog where you can check the status at any time. im currently converting the samples, which also allow me to get some rudimentary testing done and to also finish up most of the classes that i havent converted yet. i had a few wrinkles thrown in my schedule that has reduced the amount of time i can work on it to about 1-2 hours a day :( once i get the samples converted the mods will be released to the public. i would estimate about a week out if all goes well.

Robert(Posted 2005) [#6]
Hi gman,

Can I make a suggestion about the type names?

Since I presume you are making a module out of this, it isn't necessary to have "_irr" in them, that just makes it longer.

Other wise the fullname for a type will become gg.IrrBMAX.T_irrVector3df for example!

gman(Posted 2005) [#7]
@Robert. thank you for the suggestion Robert :) i was actually thinking about that on my way to work this morning. the obvious reason i named them T_irr is to be sure that they would be unique. its probably not necessary and a mass replace would not be much of an issue. i will consider it (and will probably do it since i was thinking it anyway). as for the full reference path... can you reference types like that? is that the way to specify if you dont import the module? i tried it and it didnt seem to work for me. i guess i havent seen a full syntax like that before. the above example is fully functioning showing the naming convention.

on a side note, example 2 is now converted. if anyone wants the first 2 windows built example EXEs mailed to them just drop me an email. please note you will need v.09 of the irrlicht DLL.

Sarge(Posted 2005) [#8]
LamasuCreations@...

Thank you

gman(Posted 2005) [#9]
update: the ZIP is too big to email... i forgot about the needed media files :|

you can download the samples here.

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2005) [#10]
Looks nice from the screenshots

slenkar(Posted 2005) [#11]
does Irrlicht have batch-rendering?
thats the only reason I can think of using it rather than Blitz3D

RGR(Posted 2005) [#12]
Both exes do not run. They start, but after some lines in the console window, both, console and main window shut (after about 1/2 second).
Tried the original media and original exe - that works okay.
Compiling with BMax shows error at Import gg.IrrBMax (no wonder - because I do not have that yet)...

Sweenie(Posted 2005) [#13]
@RaGR
Which Irrlicht dll did you use?

In the irrlicht sdk, look under bin/devcpp and copy that irrlicht.dll to system32 or the app path.

GW(Posted 2005) [#14]
I had that problem too, using the devcpp dll fixed it.

gman(Posted 2005) [#15]
@Slenkar - im not sure. you can check out the Irrlicht website for a list of features. my goal is to essentially provide a complete wrap of a free 3D engine for the BMAX developement community. kinda wish i wouldve went with CrystalSpace3D since it already has Mac support. i am considering altering the mods after they are complete to use IrrlichtNX which does currently have a Mac port. not sure how different the two are at this point.

@RaGR - my apologies :( i forgot there were multiple versions of the DLL in the distribution. as previously stated by Sweenie, you need to use the DLL from the devcpp folder. it should go in your windows system32 folder.

on an extra note, i did not know this until yesterday but the devcpp DLL distribution does _not_ have DX support built in. this means that the demos only run in software or opengl rendering modes at the moment. to fix this i must create one by rebuilding the DLL in DevCPP. the problem is, this requires the DirectX.DevPak for DevCPP and it is no longer being distributed. is there someone that may have that distribution available? if so i would much appreciate obtaining it from you.

Dreamora(Posted 2005) [#16]
If you fully port it, it should run on mac without a problem as BM is Win-Linux-Mac and BM cares about the Mac relate stuff.

And a little question: Why do you use the DLL ... thought it is a port of it and not a wrap?!

gman(Posted 2005) [#17]
@Dreamora - its definately a wrap of the Irrlicht engine. sorry if i was somehow misleading :( i tried to be real careful in stating that it is a wrap. worklogs and all nearly all posts should have stated that. the only time i would refer to a port is if i were referring directly to Irrlicht and not my mods.

also a little confusion may have come in how im doing the wrap. the wrap is an OO wrap of all the classes in Irrlicht. so essentially for every Irrlicht class, there is a BMAX type wrapping it. working with the BMAX version should be very similar to working with the C++ class versions.

Dreamora(Posted 2005) [#18]
Hmm and a usage of the GCC .a file instead of the DLL was not possible? Using Import "irrlicht.a" ...

Would still be some kind of wrap ... but a kind of wrap that should be more "platform independent" ... Theoretically it should work as BM uses GCC as well to compile modules.
Haven't tested it so far (my header wrap isn't finished which prevents me from testing anything)

Bot Builder(Posted 2005) [#19]
I'm pretty sure even in c++ you use irrlicht as a dll.... That's how I'm doing it now. Although, yes, you do have the source, so it should be possible. Your supposed to use the dll though...

gman(Posted 2005) [#20]
@Dreamora - the windows version of the libIrrlicht.a file is not a static lib but the linux version is. based on this... as BB mentioned, windows users are supposed to use the DLL.

RGR(Posted 2005) [#21]
Thanks all - the exes run after changing to the dll from devcpp folder :-)
Now I look where to find the Importfile gg.IrrBMAX

gman(Posted 2005) [#22]
@RaGR - it hasnt been released yet. i am in the middle of converting the samples and in the process finishing up some of the classes i waited till the end for. converting the samples is also allowing me to do some rudimentary testing (which i have already found a couple bugs). in addition, a concept came up today that may cause me to delay release a bit longer, but in the end it will be for the better. id love to release it now, but i want it where im happy with it... and it aint quite there yet :)

on a side note. there will be more converted examples released tomorrow :)

RGR(Posted 2005) [#23]
Thanks gman for the info - I just googled myself to your worklog while you wrote this.
What do you think .. how long until we can load an anim mesh .b3d file and rotate the bones ;-) ?

gman(Posted 2005) [#24]
@RaGR - lol. i have no clue... if someone can provide me some C++ code that loads the B3D format to another app i could possibly get that done by converting it. any B3D manipulation routines would be good as well. anyone have an example of how to load and manipulate a B3D file?

samples 6 and 7 are converted and can be downloaded here. 7 exposed quite a few interesting bugs/issues :) FYI, i compressed the EXEs this time with UPX.

ckob(Posted 2005) [#25]
where can we download the module for this so we can start playing with your examples and stuff?

I also think there was a file mark released that showed how the B3d file was built

gman(Posted 2005) [#26]
@ckob - the modules (its actually 2 mods, gg.IrrBMAX uses gg.Irrlicht) is not yet available. im using the conversion of the examples to catch issues and to finish up some of the classes i waited till the end for. all depends on my free time and my decision on some concepts that recently came to light, but i would say hopefully by next weekend i will have something to give everyone.

RGR(Posted 2005) [#27]
@gman - I have written some routines that convert files from other stuff (.wrl) to .b3d and then loads it into B3D. But this may help nobody because I didn't use the Blitz3D Animation System. I have separate gestures-files where bone-rotations and movements are scripted. A more flexible system than the original B3D one. It uses the bonenames as index - said for fun: if you have a horse animmesh and the bones have the same names as the human your horse would walk like a human or the human runs like a horse provided with the corresponding gesture. :-)

As a user for 3 days only I have to find my way into BMax first.

What I could do after looking into OGL and the NeHeTutorials; I could write a routine to load textured animmeshes and use existing mathroutines to calculate normals and the rotations of the vertices around the bonepivots ... this is less than 100 lines of code ... but does it make sense to do that?
Could it be used in the real (virtual) (BMaxIrrLicht) world?
Especially when others that are playing longer with BMax and all the new Methods than I did, can do it much better...

gman(Posted 2005) [#28]
EDIT - i have pulled these for now since i incorrectly did a debug build. i will hopefully have a new build up soon,
good news! i have successfully rebuilt the windows Irrlicht DLL with directx 8.1 and 9.0c support. the following are available for download:

Rebuilt Irrlicht DLL, .a, .def, and DX DLLs.

Previously released example EXEs rebuilt with DX support.

NOTE: if you already have the D3Dx8.dll and D3Dx9.dll files in your system 32 folder, i would recommend that you do _not_ overwrite them with these unless you feel comfortable doing so.

TartanTangerine (was Indiepath)(Posted 2005) [#29]
Hmmn, your links don't work.

gman(Posted 2005) [#30]
@Indiepath.T - correct. please see the EDIT. im having trouble finding and/or converting the needed .LIB files into .a files. MingW has issues trying to directly link d3dx8.lib and d3dx9.lib. all i have available in .a format is the debug versions which work, but run a bit slower than the runtime ones. if i cant get the runtime .a libs then i will just go back to the debug ones and make those available.

i am getting extremely frustrated with the availability of DX integration into Irrlicht. its there and it works great, but the makers of Irrlicht dont provide the needed files for MingW with the DX support built in and building a DLL with .a files that are MingW compatible wont work unless you have the .a files for the d3dx* LIBS... which arent available (that i can find). i am having issues trying to convert them to .a using the tools provided by MingW as well. bah! grrrrr....

if anyone has d3dx8.a and d3dx9.a or has some knowledge of converting M$ .LIB files to .A files and would like to give it a whirl for me it would be much appreciated. if i had d3dx8.a and d3dx9.a i could easily build an Irrlicht DLL with runtime DX support (ive already done it with the debug versions).

Sarge(Posted 2005) [#31]
nope links still dont work.

gman(Posted 2005) [#32]
lol. let me rephrase the edit... the custom build of the DLL i made was built using the debug version of the directx direct3d libraries. i did not know that at the time i released the above ZIP files. unfortunately the debug versions are all i have available to me currently. due to this, i have removed the files that the links go to until i can get a build that uses the runtime versions of the direct3d libraries. my problem is that i cant find .a versions of the libraries i need anywhere and trying to make them on my own has failed miserably. if i can somehow get ahold of the .a libs for the runtime versions i can then remake the DLL and im good to go. if i cant get this resolved in the next couple of days, i will put the debug versions back out there so you can at least see what they look like. IMO they look better than the OGL version at the same frame rates.

ckob(Posted 2005) [#33]
its been awhile but I believe if you go to dxdiag you can switch from debug to release.

Red Ocktober(Posted 2005) [#34]
aren't both versions in the sdk?

--Mike

Dreamora(Posted 2005) [#35]
Both are in but only one can be installed at a time.

Red Ocktober(Posted 2005) [#36]
wait a minute... you mean that you can only have just the debug libs or just the release libs installed at one time, but not both...

... sorta defeats the purpose of selecting an active configuration, or trying to make a release version of your game after debugging out all that code.

--Mike

Dreamora(Posted 2005) [#37]
Why does this defeat anything?
For the user there is no difference, it is only your DX installation that differs (either DX Debug or DX Retail installation).

gman(Posted 2005) [#38]
you can have both installed at the same time... there is a switch between the two in the directx configuration when you have the SDK installed. the problem is when rebuilding the Irrlicht.dll to add DX support i only have the debug version libs available in .a format. this causes Irrlicht to specifically look for the debug versions of the DLLs when it loads. trying to use the .LIB version causes DevCPP to crash without error during link. trying to get a .a file using the tools reimp or pexports plus dlltool gives me .a files, but when linking i get undefined reference errors to a couple of functions. i have also tried create a .a file for Irrlicht.dll that is MSVC compatible (which has DX support) but when using that with BMAX the programs crash badly with unhandled memory errors on the createDevice call.

i spent all weekend trying but unfortunately have not found a resolution yet :( i have reposted the files for the links above that use the debug versions. from this point on you will need the DX download from above in order to run the compiled examples. the ZIP now contains the debug versions of the DLLs. they should go in your SYSTEM32 folder. i would reccommend not overwriting if they are already there.

i have samples 08 and 11 done. they can be downloaded here.

Red Ocktober(Posted 2005) [#39]
thx g for clearing that up... i wish i had a solution to offer.... i haven't any experience with devc at all, only msvc (ver 6 sp5)...

if i can be of any help let me know...

dreamora... how are ya gonna compile a release version of a dll with the debugging libs... would ya really want to...

--Mike

gman(Posted 2005) [#40]
whoohooo! im finally satisfied with a methodology for binding BMX classes to C classes after battling a few shortcomings that i had to work around... this opens up the remaining examples of which i have 04 and 05 done. they can be downloaded here. you will need the DX download from above.

also, please note that i have reposted the ZIPs that were originally built without DX support (so now all available ZIPs will require the DX zip) and i have removed the special ZIP containing only EXEs.

Worklog has been updated as well.

gman(Posted 2005) [#41]
after i learned of the Release command i reworked my binding routines. everything went much smoother than i expected and i was able to get another sample done.

09.MeshViewer

ckob(Posted 2005) [#42]
can you post directions on how to actually install this module to use with bmax?

gman(Posted 2005) [#43]
i will when its released :) which will be probably next week by the look of it. i have 3 more samples to go before release. most samples add a bit more functionality allowing me to test a little more before it goes out the door. there will still need to be a lot of testing by the public though. i provide the BMX sample conversion for comparison purposes to the C++ original available in the irrlicht distribution.

RGR(Posted 2005) [#44]
gman - you're doing a really great job!

I have some questions:
Why did you chose irrLicht and not Ogre for instance?
Does irrLicht has LOD meshes like Blitz3D Terrain?
http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/features.html#SceneMangagment not really informative

gman(Posted 2005) [#45]
@RaGR - thx :) im trying anyways... i definately know the general areas of the tool (which was one of my main goals), now i just need to know how to apply it :) someday i might actually get to doing some actual game stuff :) for your Qs:

>Why did you chose irrLicht and not Ogre for instance?
when i started out i was looking for something free, understandable, cross platform, and compatible with DX. something that i could learn from and at the same time provide a benefit to the BMAX community. i downloaded and examined lots of 3d engines. for my understanding level i felt that Irrlicht had a nice design and it met my criteria. unfortunately i didnt see CrystalSpace3D until i almost was done with the wrap of Irrlicht. it has a similar OO design, uses DX, and has an existing Mac port. if i had i found it at the same time i probably would have gone with it but my time has been fully invested in Irrlicht and it will be released.

>Does irrLicht has LOD meshes like Blitz3D Terrain?
though im not very knowledgable on the intricacies of LOD meshes, i believe it does support them.
ITerrainSceneNode

speaking of goals, another of my goals was to make the BMAX types as similar to the Irrlicht classes as possible. given this, the sample conversions are amazingly easy. aside from the minor differences in design (ie. no method overloading in BMAX, no parameterized constructors) the conversion from C++ to BMAX is pretty much line for line. this makes me pretty dang happy.

sample 03.CustomSceneNode will be neat to convert as well since it will show off the BMX to C++ class binding. the meat of the code is a subclassed version of ISceneNode which in the irrlicht sample is C++ but will be BMAX in the converted version. sample 12 will be first, then i will do 03. last will be the shaders example.

RGR(Posted 2005) [#46]
The way Terrain is supported looks fine at first sight.
Maybe not so clever as in B3D but better to wrap and extend (meant 3DWorld technical not code related)...

ckob(Posted 2005) [#47]
good god RaGR change that damn picture to something smaller

Dreamora(Posted 2005) [#48]
Can't wait for the mod :)

ckob: good that firefox has an option in the rightclick menu called "block images from ... " ;)

RGR(Posted 2005) [#49]
ckob - what's wrong with the picture ?
Its 37 KB; yours is 25 KB - once loaded its in cache - yours stays for ages; this for 1 or 2 days
So what is your Problem?
Btw: if I find a smaller one I'll change it anyway - *shaking his head*

Dreamora(Posted 2005) [#50]
Its size is the problem. It takes about 1 screenheight for nothing than ****

Isn't there a signature rule in this board ... something like 100px / 5 lines??

ckob(Posted 2005) [#51]
i dont mean file size.

RGR(Posted 2005) [#52]
You guys have problems... unbelievable...

@Dreamora its 80 pixels or 5 lines Text

This means ckob, your Signature is 47 pixels too high !!! :-P
Sorry - had to make a reproof in the class-book

We have a saying here: Someone sitting in a glasshouse shall not throw stones... ;-)

Edited Still off topic ... gman, please excuse
Hey, I only wanted to promote the website of these people for a short while - 'cos they did a phantastic job. Have you seen all those 3D Worlds, camera rides and the scene where the spaceship is hunted...?
I read the story behind it, saw it and immediatly had the feeling I must do something as well. And donated 1000 GB of my webtraffic so that friends can download the DVDs directly from my webspace instead of waiting days using torrent clients...

gman(Posted 2005) [#53]
sample 12 is done.

12.TerrainRendering

RGR(Posted 2005) [#54]
Terrain; LOD; This answered my question from some articles above.
This - mixed with a detailmap - should look almost perfect. :-)

gman(Posted 2005) [#55]
sample 03 is done. enjoy :)

03.CustomSceneNode

ckob(Posted 2005) [#56]
theres no way for us to compile or play around with this stuff is there?

gman(Posted 2005) [#57]
not at the moment... but very soon there will be :) i would say maybe wednesday, probably thursday. i think ive worked out enough of the kinks to let it go and the advanced stuff thats left can be finished after release. im going to see what i can clean up and also come up with an info document on how i did the wrap.

gman(Posted 2005) [#58]
in preperation for release, i have added a design informational document on gg.Irrlicht to the worklog to give you an idea of whats coming. as soon as i have one for gg.IrrBMAX i will post that as well.

Nennig(Posted 2005) [#59]
Exciting !
Thank you for your hard work.

Falelorn(Posted 2005) [#60]
Cool, I havnt been keeping up on the BMax side of things because I was waiting for the official 3D, but was told about this earlier by CKob on another forum.

Very interesting, ill be checking it out.

Hummelpups(Posted 2005) [#61]
OMG, gman you're my personal Jesus Christ (guess who said this ;))!
I got irrlicht to work with #develop and C#, but now I tried your wrap and hey: it's amazing (maybe I exaggerate a little bit because today it was the first time seeing shaders - in fact seeing any 3D graphic - with BMX).

Keep up the good work!

gman(Posted 2005) [#62]
lol.. i guess you are feeling the love. seems to be the trend :) just checked my file download stats... my mod ZIP released yesterday had 41 downloads in 13 hours. definately some love going around :) im hoping to see some projects based on these. that would really make my day! i only have 3 classes of Irrlicht left to wrap and they all deal with very tailored stuff (custom file loading and custom material rendering). my main goals now are to test as much of the Irrlicht wrappers as i can and to do anything that will help me learn more plus benefit the BMAX community.

i have a couple ideas in mind for what im going to do next... could be an Irrlicht version of my Mappy mod (will test ITexture and IImage), Irrlicht to B3D translation (will help me learn more about base 3D engine functionality), or gg.ODE (everyone needs physics). havent quite decided yet. i have already started gg.IrrMappy and gg.IrrB3D. i have also researched free physics engines and decided to go with ODE (if i get to it). until i pick a direction, i will continue to try to find samples/tutorials that test as of yet untested portions of the mods.

Takuan(Posted 2005) [#63]
@gman
Do you know if using HLSL identifiers like "technique" in irrlicht are possible now?
The creator of irrlicht said something that its not
possible without a change in irrlichts material system (found a thread posted 2003).
Asked in the forum if something has changed since 2003 but havent got an answer yet.
Its only my third day messing around with shaders and it looks like complex shader stuff isnt possible without technique`s (i.e used to do more then one pass).

If anyone gets some examples from tools like Nvidia Composer in Irrlicht to work please say "Here".

amonite(Posted 2005) [#64]
i feel the love !! :)

many thanks for your great work !

one question:

d3dx9d.dll is it a debug version of directX9, i thouhgt the d would stand for debug ?

gman(Posted 2005) [#65]
@Takuan - i dont know :( hopefully someone in the Irrlicht forum will help you out.

@Benyboy - you are correct. i have yet to find out the correct .a to link into the DLL for D3D support. i think now that i can link D3D9.a and D3D8.a but i havent tried yet. the ever elusive D3Dx9.a and D3Dx8.a do not exist which explains why noone can help me find them.

slenkar(Posted 2005) [#66]
When can we use the 'NEW' command for types.
Never? or only for types like s:ship for use in the game.

gman(Posted 2005) [#67]
@Slenkar - for the Irrlicht mods you should always use the appropriate create function for the type instead of New. there is some stuff that goes on behind the scenes that only gets done if you use the create() functions. if there are no parameters it will be just create(), otherwise it will be named something that corrosponds to there parameters being taken such as createFromVals() or createFromVect(). if BMAX allowed for parameters to New along with method overloading i could have gone with the New command.

Filax(Posted 2005) [#68]
Hi gman

I have look you work on this wrapper :) great ... it's a very good job !

But it's a little bit hard to understand for me :) maybe if you make some function like blitz3D ? i'll use it :)

But continue !!

"Très bon travail" in french :)

gman(Posted 2005) [#69]
@filax - i am making a good effort to have a B3D function set for the Irrlicht mods. progress is being made but it is a ways from being finished and i think there will be some things i wont be able to do.

@everyone - worklog has been updated.

Filax(Posted 2005) [#70]
good news gman ! :)

Gabriel(Posted 2005) [#71]
The new irrlicht update sounds good. I haven't played with this yet, but I just might for some of the new features.

Filax(Posted 2005) [#72]
Cool :) good news :)

slenkar(Posted 2005) [#73]
gman-B3D commands sound very good!

So when I create a type for a spaceship I have to use create()

amonite(Posted 2005) [#74]
can't wait for the update :)
monday is too far away.

Takuan(Posted 2005) [#75]
That man rocks...

DStastny(Posted 2005) [#76]
Its Monday :)...

mouss38(Posted 2005) [#77]
gman updates his new release (irr 0.10.0) in his worklog
great work man !

Gabriel(Posted 2005) [#78]
gman updates his new release (irr 0.10.0) in his worklog

Oooh, so he has. Thanks for the tip.

gman(Posted 2005) [#79]
sorry guys :( was late last night and i was beat... forgot to post the update. duh! anyways, there are still 2 of the original samples i need to update and then there are 2 new samples to convert. there is only a few minor features of the v0.10 build i have yet to implement. not sure if i will have time today, but will get to them sometime this week. by friday everything should be out in regards to v0.10, samples and all.

amonite(Posted 2005) [#80]
thank you for the update :)

Gabriel(Posted 2005) [#81]
When I extract the new .zip it tries to overwrite a couple of files ( I'm not extracting to an existing folder, it seems to have two versions of each file IN the zip. ) Both are slightly newer and slightly smaller. Should I go with the newer smaller versions?

DStastny(Posted 2005) [#82]
I would just remove the old mod directory and install this version clean. GMan had to change quite a few files. Unless you modified his code just replace the entire mod.

Make sure you get the new DLLs as the entry point into Irrlicht.dll as changed and it requires the extra DLLs to support DirectX 8 and DirectX9

Doug

Gabriel(Posted 2005) [#83]
I would just remove the old mod directory and install this version clean.

I've never used a previous version. Both files are coming from just this new zip.

DStastny(Posted 2005) [#84]
When you unzip are you making sure you have the extract file path option checked.

Not sure what you are using to unzip. But make sure you maintain the file structure. That would be reason files might have same name and overwrite.

Doug

Gabriel(Posted 2005) [#85]
I'm unzipping with winrar and winzip, both give the same results. I always have extract file path turned on, and I can categorically say this is the first zip I've ever had which tried to overwrite itself.

In gg.mod\irrbmax.mod\.bmx\

I have two copies of the following files :

irrbmax.bmx.release.win32.s
irrbmax.bmx.release.win32.o
irrbmax.bmx.debug.win32.s
irrbmax.bmx.debug.win32.o

One of each has a modification date of 29/05/2005 22:40 ( varies from 22:39 to 22:43)
and the other one has 29/05/2005 23:54 ( varies from 22:53 to 22:54)

As far as I can tell, no other files are affected.

DStastny(Posted 2005) [#86]
Very Odd, I didnt notice this when i first unzipped it.

Not sure how GMan did that but you want the later versions of the files.

I think I just hit overwrite all is what I did without thinking. Used WinZip

I think he did last minute update as I sent him a bug report at around 11pm last night and he sent email back that he got the fix in before uploading.

I have been working with it all day and had no problems

Funky zip!
Doug

Gabriel(Posted 2005) [#87]
Thanks, I'll delete the older versions for now then. I can always redownload later if it proves necessary.

gman(Posted 2005) [#88]
i took care of the distribution. thx for the heads up.

ckob(Posted 2005) [#89]
Gman, Anyway we can get a command list for this? I tried to use the irrlicht help documents but its not very well orginized.

gman(Posted 2005) [#90]
i tried to get something put together... the problem is i havent found something yet that will parse included files, only the main program. most of my code lies in the included files. i have a modified version of documenta that will parse the includes but it doesnt format it the way i want. there really are few differences between the two, mainly in methods that take arrays, overloaded methods, and overloaded constructors. each version of these required a seperate method in BMAX. if i could only document my code and run something it would be much better. i will take another look at my version of documenta and see if there is something i can get together. it will be a bit though.

Chris C(Posted 2005) [#91]
top job gman!
the bsp sample works *very* well
>100 fps quite often >200 and thats with my craptastic fx5200!

I hope everyone appreciates just how much hard work
has obviously gone into this...
(with luck your house move has gone well too so you
can spend more time on it! >:) )

gman(Posted 2005) [#92]
samples 8 and 11 are back up. you will not be able to rebuild them until i release the next version of the mods, but you can run the EXE and review the source. be sure to check out 11 since it has one of the most significant new features in v0.10... parallax mapping.

Takuan(Posted 2005) [#93]
uh...how could i live without parallax mapping?
Here he rocks again..and irrlicht developer too...

gman(Posted 2005) [#94]
worklog has been updated. there is a new mod release (hopefully the final one for Irrlicht v0.10) that includes all the new v0.10 functionality and also available is sample 13, which shows rendering to a texture.

jamesmintram(Posted 2005) [#95]
Not sure if im doing something wrong, but I have the module installed but not the irrilcht dll (system wide that is) - when ever i try and compile anything even stuff which doesnt require irrlicht i get a missing dll error!

Not sure what the problem could be, but when I remove the gg.irrlicht folder from my mod dir the problem dissappears.

Hotcakes(Posted 2005) [#96]
If you are not using the Framework command, I think Max defaults to compiling -all- modules, so if the irrlicht module has some initialisation code that requires this dll, it could potentially bomb everything out? Just a guess...

gman(Posted 2005) [#97]
hotcakes is correct and unfortunately there is not much i can do about it :( all i can suggest is either use the framework command in your projects or move the gg.mod folder somewhere else and move it in only when you are working on something with Irrlicht.

use of the Framework is a must in my own developement. i understand why leaving it out does what it does, but i think its confusing. IMO it should have been the opposite... something like an "All Modules" command to include everything and the default is to force including everything you need, ie the Framework command.