Drawing a non solid rect

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Drawing a non solid rect

RetroRusty(Posted 2005) [#1]
Is there a function that can draw a non solid rect like DrawRect used to do?

If you use DrawRect now, there is no option to have it as either solid or non solid.

Thanks

N(Posted 2005) [#2]
No, but it's fairly easy to do it on your own. Or you can modify the DrawRect function.

Like this one:
Function DrawRectHollow(X!,Y!,W!,H!)
     glBegin(GL_LINE_LOOP)
     glVertex2d(X,Y)
     glVertex2d(X+W,Y)
     glVertex2d(X+W,Y+H)
     glVertex2d(X,Y+H)
     glEnd()
End Function

That will work with your standard GLMax2D stuff. Now let the people who say that using GL functions with Max2D is a bad idea harp on me.

Steve Elliott(Posted 2005) [#3]
Yep - a flag for drawrect is required.

FlameDuck(Posted 2005) [#4]
Is this really a problem tho'? Don't take this the wrong way, but in 20+ years of programming, drawing a rectangle (solid or otherwise) has never really come up as a problem that one might have.

Thus I respectfully inquire as to what kind of program you're writing where the ability to draw rectangles is such a significant matter.

Curtastic(Posted 2005) [#5]
debugging collision rectangles in 2d, is what I did yesterday.
ya see I have this chopper that rotates and has a collision rect so the fireworks can hit it and explode somewhat accurately...

glpolygonmode(gl_back,gl_line)
DrawRect x,y,sizex,sizey
glpolygonmode(gl_back,gl_fill)

I guess the point of drawrect is to be simple. having to put the glCommands defeats the purpose.

Steve Elliott(Posted 2005) [#6]

what kind of program you're writing where the ability to draw rectangles is such a significant matter.

My GUI uses 4 lines instead of 1 drawrect - it just needs a flag Mark, like the line flag that was added.

Yes it's not a big deal and it can be worked around. But it's not a big deal for BR to incorporate it neatly into the 2d module officially either.