Automatic Frameworks?

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Automatic Frameworks?

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2005) [#1]
I am just wondering, wouldn't it be better/easier to have Blitz automatically handle the selection of which Framework/modules to include in an exe, rather than the programming having to figure it out? How about just a single command to say `create a fat exe` (with everything) or `create a minimal exe` with only the modules needed? I'm not understanding why it's the programmer's responsibility or how the programmer can make use of it? Surely the programmer HAS to include the modules that are needed to execute, as defined by what's in their code, there is no choice so it's more like having to do Blitz's housekeeping?

Your thoughts please.

tonyg(Posted 2005) [#2]
Quite a bit of discussion in
THIS

Robert(Posted 2005) [#3]
For reasons discussed in the thread tonyg mentioned, it is not always possible for the compiler to determine every module which is required.

Having said that I think it would be possible for some sort of automatic framework command to be implemented which includes the bare minimum necessary based on the functions used in your code.

Many other people have suggested that "Framework" is rather non-intuitive, since it does two things at once.

I think a "Framework Minimal" command might be a good idea - a command which includes the bare minimum necessary to get an application running.

How about then:

'Automatically decides which modules to include.
'The programmer will manually have to import other modules
'whoose need cannot be determined at compile time
Framework Auto

'Imports the bare-bones minimum (BRL.Blitz I think)
Framework Minimal

'Imports the bare-bones minimum plus the specified module
Framework <Module Name>

xlsior(Posted 2005) [#4]

Framework Auto
Framework Minimal
Framework <Module Name>

Sounds like a great approach to me!

Bot Builder(Posted 2005) [#5]
What I don't understand is why framework even has a parameter for importing. Makes most since to me that framework should be as suggested, or simply "framework" with no parameters, and then imports added. I'm still making slow progress with my parser/interpreter which will be used as a codebase for a preprocessor, which will hopwefully be able to do this.

Picklesworth(Posted 2005) [#6]
Couldn't a non-default IDE of which there will be many have this feature?

Someone should write an IDE in Max so it's nice and open-source...

Bot Builder(Posted 2005) [#7]
maybe once the Gui lib comes along, pickles