Protean IDE for BlitzMax

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Protean IDE for BlitzMax

SillyPutty(Posted 2005) [#1]
Hi all

Has anyone tried this with blitzmax ? Before I shelve out the dosh, just want to know if it is worth it or not.

Thanks

Wiebo(Posted 2005) [#2]
It works very well. No intellisense yet, and i'm beginning to like the debugger. Added bonus is that you get Protean for the classic versions of Blitz as well...

SillyPutty(Posted 2005) [#3]
how did you get the debugger to work ?

I love the IDE btw :)

Dreamora(Posted 2005) [#4]
The newest beta has it in. Just put a debug stop in and you will get a similar debug view as in the actual orig IDE.

SillyPutty(Posted 2005) [#5]
I see the guy who made protean is going to intern at microsoft, I really hope he carries on with the protean max ide.

SillyPutty(Posted 2005) [#6]
I simply cannot get debuggin to work, Also my contexts are not showing up, like my functions and types in an organised box.

Anybody else get this ?

SillyPutty(Posted 2005) [#7]
oh btw

I have the 1879 version

SillyPutty(Posted 2005) [#8]
any ideas guys ?

Grisu(Posted 2005) [#9]
Demo available? How many bucks?

Steve Elliott(Posted 2005) [#10]
A demo is available - but doesn't work with BlitzMax. This needs updating as I'm not going to pay for anything I haven't tried. ;-)

SillyPutty(Posted 2005) [#11]
There is no demo, but what I can tell you is that it is worth every penny spent, $47 IIRC.

I got the debugging working and it helps a lot. It really helps in organizing files, completing common code, function folding, regions etc...

Steve Elliott(Posted 2005) [#12]

There is no demo

What's this then?
http://www.proteanide.co.uk/index.php?pid=downloads

Dreamora(Posted 2005) [#13]
There is no BM demo as the Blitz Max Version is still in closed beta for registred users.

RiK(Posted 2005) [#14]
I've been using Protean since Rob first released it way back. Without a doubt the best decision I ever made since buying Blitz itself.

Booticus(Posted 2005) [#15]
@Steve
http://www.proteanide.co.uk/index.php?pid=downloads I think is for the regular Protean. There's a specific Protean-BlitzMax beta that only registered users can get.

Tiggertooth(Posted 2005) [#16]
I am having the trouble that I cannot seem to get the Protean IDE debugger to work (BlitzMax build 1879). I'm running with Graphics 640,480,0, which under Blitz IDE launches my game in a window, but under Protean nothing happens when I hit f5 (it launches the process and just hangs). I'm also having the problem where my data types aren't showing up.

But in general, I give a big thumbs up to Protean.

Steve Elliott(Posted 2005) [#17]
I'll certainly consider it when it's out of beta - perhaps BlitzMax will be out of beta as well by then. ;-)

SillyPutty(Posted 2005) [#18]
@Tigger

To break into debug mode ( which kicks serious ass btw )

at the line you want to break, type DebugStop
you will then have debugging capabilities.

What do you mean about data types not showing up ? You mean contexts ?

Booticus(Posted 2005) [#19]
Yeah Protean rules I gotta say. Lame thing is, for now Im sticking with the multi-platform IDES just cause I own a Mac and a PC, so Im actually almost always using the Blitz IDE. Hell I can wait, I mean Blitz is only what, 4 months old? Im digging every bit of it. In the beginning, I was hunting around for IDEs like crazy, but then I realized I spent more time diddling with IDEs than actually coding! :)

SillyPutty(Posted 2005) [#20]
Agreed, bmax kicks ass.

Protean however has made me like it even more :)