Readline - UTF-8 or Unicode or both?

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Readline - UTF-8 or Unicode or both?

RexRhino(Posted 2005) [#1]
I am just wondering in what format does ReadLine read the characters in? Can it read Unicode text files?

marksibly(Posted 2005) [#2]
Hi,

Not as yet - it just reads a byte-per-char so it's pretty much 'ascii' (or 'Latin1' by 'Max convention').

I have started work on a TextStream type though, and the next release of the compiler will be able to parse Latin1/UTF8/UTF16 source files. In addition, the Mac IDE will be able to save in Latin1/UTF8/UTF16 format. This was very easy to do on the Mac - I'm not sure when the Win32 IDE will catch up.

Jay Kyburz(Posted 2005) [#3]
Hi,

I've been playing around with this tonight and having trouble. Have the above changed been implemented.

In my code I'm trying to compare a sting in my source with a string read from a file.

When the files is saved as standard 8 bit text I have no problem, however when the file is saved as Unicode 16 my seach string is not found.

Whats more, when I write to this unicode 16 file, latin characters from the source file are saved as some kind of asian glif?

Anybody know what I'm doing wrong?

Jay Kyburz(Posted 2005) [#4]
So to clarify my question, does Readline read UTF 16 yet? It it still reading ascii? Will it ever?

Robert Cummings(Posted 2005) [#5]
I have started work on a TextStream type though, and the next release of the compiler will be able to parse Latin1/UTF8/UTF16 source files. In addition, the Mac IDE will be able to save in Latin1/UTF8/UTF16 format. This was very easy to do on the Mac - I'm not sure when the Win32 IDE will catch up.

Hi Mark,

Great thinking! So long as win can read them that will be fine as I am required to have local languages, ie Japanese in my game. It will be awesomely cool to see it.

Jay Kyburz(Posted 2005) [#6]
OK new question, anybody know how to read raw bytes from a file and convert it to a Unicode 16 string :)