Using the mouse pointer to collide with images...

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Using the mouse pointer to collide with images...

JoJo(Posted 2005) [#1]
Is this possible?

I want to show the standard windows mouse pointer in fullscreen mode to collide with the images instead of creating a mouse pointer image, and using that image to test for collisions.

Basically, I want to pick up images and move them with the mouse a place them down on another part of the screen.

rdodson41(Posted 2005) [#2]
Do you mean you want to see if the mouse pointer is on top of an image? If so, you can use the command ImageRectCollide(). It was in B+, and its probably in BMX, but I'm not sure, and it could be another name.

You check a 1x1 rectangle at the coordinates of the mouse pointer and see if they collide. Its something like this:

ImageRectCollide(myimage,imgx,imgy,MouseX(),MouseY(),1,1)

tonyg(Posted 2005) [#3]
Can't find the imagerectcollide command or anything similar.
Possibly an oversight unless there is another way that I can't see.
Surely, we don't have to draw a dummy 1 pixel image at mousex()/mousey() and use that... do we?
<edit> Obviously you can't use a substitute mouse image or else you'll get collisions with the tail end.

rdodson41(Posted 2005) [#4]
Oh well, it was in B+, and I thought it would have been put into BMX. I guess not. In that case, you could just take the position of the image and find out manually if the mouse is over it. If MouseX()>=x If MouseX()<=x+w etc.

JazzieB(Posted 2005) [#5]
There is a CollideRect() function, but I have no idea how to use it nor whether it's similar to the old ImageRectCollide() function of B+/B3D. Talks about collision layers, which I've not experimented with yet, but might be what you're looking for.

tonyg(Posted 2005) [#6]
Thanks JazzieB.
There's an example HERE

JoJo(Posted 2005) [#7]
Thanks! It'll check it out.