Mods, XM's, IT's etc

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Mods, XM's, IT's etc

Clyde(Posted 2005) [#1]
Is there going to be the ability to play FastTracker music module formats with BMAX at some point? As I really miss the option to play them. Once upon atime I was an Amiga fan, and the file size is smaller then MP3, WAVES and OGG VOrbis.

If it is, then when can we see it incorparated?

xlsior(Posted 2005) [#2]
Possible, but unlikely to happen soon.

The .MOD/S3M/etc. support in BB, B3D and B+ was done through FMOD, and supposedly this has not been licensed by Blitz for the Max version... Not yet, anyway.

There was a 3rd party demo using fmod on the forums some time ago, but it required the fmod.dll file to be distributed with your program, and the fmod people would charge you a license fee for this unless your program is public domain.

Clyde(Posted 2005) [#3]
Would be great to see it back in BMAX.
Does BlitzBass / Bass work with BMAX?

Russell(Posted 2005) [#4]
Maybe some professional programmer here (not me!) can go through the open-source Audiere source code (well, d.u.m.b. actually) and strip it to its bare essentials and compile it into a Bmax module for us to use?

This would also allow cross platform ability to remain.

http://dumb.sourceforge.net/
http://audiere.sourceforge.net/home.php

Russell

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2005) [#5]
Audiere looks cool.

Clyde(Posted 2005) [#6]
Looks very interesting.

And it would also be mega to be able to play C64 SID Tunes.

Have BR spoken yet, to wether FMOD or equivalent is on the cards BMAX?

Sledge(Posted 2005) [#7]
I've had DUMB tooting away through Allegro and it sounds fine - I'd definitely recommend it. Audiere gave me problems but I only fiddle about with C/C++ so that's no great surprise; the irrlicht bods seem to think quite highly of it.

Russell(Posted 2005) [#8]
The docs for D.U.M.B., btw, are quite good: Much better than most free software. I highly recommend downloading D.U.M.B. (see link above) and\or Allegro, both of which are free, and have a look.

D.U.M.B. is written C, rather than C++, so it's not impossible to follow ;)

The only real 'down side' is that the footprint for the pair is pretty large in comparison to FMOD. But, as I suggest above, perhaps a professional programmer could strip the code to its bare essentials, etc.

D.U.M.B. can also be used without Allegro. What happens is that the output is put in a buffer and you write your own code to have that code played. Not as complicated as it may sound. The advantage to this is that you don't get all the stuff you may not need in Allegro - Allegro is not just a sound controller, it also has many game related libraries, etc. It would be very difficult to reach FMOD-Lite's size, but we can try...and it's free, too!

Anyone?

At least have a look at the source and see what can be done.

Russell

shqwerty(Posted 2005) [#9]
I found a library on the net called mikwin (gpl licensed). MikWin is a decendant from Mikmod (multiplatform, mikmod.raphnet.net/). I compiled MikWin to a dll and wrote a wrapper for it. Though not yet fully tested/debugged.

MikMod should be able to run under all operating systems, though I wasn't succesful in compiling it with MingW, so feel free..... Would be cool to have a multiplatform music library.

Following music formats are supported:
669 (Composer 669, Unis 669), AMF (DSMI Advanced Module Format), AMF (ASYLUM Music Format V1.0), APUN (APlayer), DSM (DSIK internal format), FAR (Farandole Composer), GDM (General DigiMusic), IT (Impulse Tracker), IMF (Imago Orpheus), MOD (15 and 31 instruments), MED (OctaMED), MTM (MultiTracker Module editor), OKT (Amiga Oktalyzer), S3M (Scream Tracker 3), STM (Scream Tracker), STX (Scream Tracker Music Interface Kit), ULT (UltraTracker), UNI (MikMod), XM (FastTracker 2)

files:
62.131.157.223/blitzmax/mikwin.bmx
62.131.157.223/blitzmax/mikwin.dll
62.131.157.223/blitzmax/SA_WOLF.XM
62.131.157.223/blitzmax/mikwin_3.1.5.3.zip (requires vc6 to compile)

Have fun,
Niels

xlsior(Posted 2005) [#10]
So... does any game that uses this sound library to produce music also have to be GPL licensed, or does that just apply to the DLL wrapper itself?

shqwerty(Posted 2005) [#11]
The wrapper I wrote is free in every sence. The dll is under the gpl license according to what I read. Meaning the game doesn't have to be under the gpl license.