Mark's New Worklog

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Mark's New Worklog

bradford6(Posted 2005) [#1]
Mark,
Thanks for the update. It sounds like you are doing some pretty cool stuff. I think many folks are pleased to see the amount of 3D work you are doing with OpenGL.

Nice Worklog, too. Complex information like that will keep the hordes off you for weeks while we decifer what's in there!

Thanks again for an excellent product.

semar(Posted 2005) [#2]
Same here.

I've just red the worklog too, and even if it's way too far from my knowledge in some department, it was an interesting reading. Stencil shadows look very promising indeed. And BlitzPlus news are interesting too.

I'm really excited for the future of BlitzMax, expecially for the 3D command set; and I also hope that the good old Blitz3D will receive some attention at some point, and Maplet as well.

Maplet is still a quite good 'swiss knife' for modelling a 3D level IMO, but I think it needs some improvement; a good 3D World Editor is a tool that shouldn't be missing from every coder arsenal.

The BlitzMax self, even if in the Beta version, (win 32), is very stable and errors free. This denotes how good has been the work on it.

A genuine thanks goes to Mark and to all the BlitzBasic crew.

:)

Sergio.

Warren(Posted 2005) [#3]
Nice Worklog, too. Complex information like that will keep the hordes off you for weeks...

Thanks, I needed a good laugh this morning.

AdrianT(Posted 2005) [#4]
yeah, I'm looking forward to the next pipeline combined with Bmax 3D module :) hope the new 3d file format is pretty flexible with good brush/texture support.

Steve Elliott(Posted 2005) [#5]
Good to see Mark working on 3d stuff - I should have the 2d and OOP stuff sorted by the time the 3d module's out. ;-)

N(Posted 2005) [#6]
Thanks, I needed a good laugh this morning.

Yep.

that will keep the hordes off you for weeks

Ha! If I gave Mark some peace then I wouldn't be doing my job right.

Murilo(Posted 2005) [#7]
I'd've thought BLR would get Max finished (out of beta for Linux and Windows) before spending time on this kinda stuff. An interesting read none the less...

tonyg(Posted 2005) [#8]
Probably doing it on his 'comfort' break.

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2005) [#9]
Priorities I guess. I think it's cool they are focussing on 3D, and cool that the Mac Max is out already :-) But of course that's cus I'm on a Mac. I would probably be anxious to get an official release on Windows and Linux first if I was on those platforms. I'm sure he's working on it at the same time even if he is getting into the 3D stuff too.

maximo(Posted 2005) [#10]
Good thing Mark droped out from astronaut thing, if he didn't we wouldn't have Blitz :)

But wait if he continued who knows where we would be now in space?

news headlines:
"Mark Sibly the first human to set foot on Mars"
"Mark Sibly, the first human to visit other start systems"
and more like that...

:)

Jeremy Alessi(Posted 2005) [#11]
Sweet!

dynaman(Posted 2005) [#12]
Didn't Mark hire a couple other guys to handle the windows and linux releases anyway? That leaves Mark free to work on the core modules of the system.

AntonyWells(Posted 2005) [#13]
Ide's one thing, but we don't even have a debugger yet.(In other words, priorities mark!)

EOF(Posted 2005) [#14]
good thing Mark droped out from astronaut thing
Is that why Blitz2/3D has a Rocket icon?

dangerdave(Posted 2005) [#15]

good thing Mark droped out from astronaut thing

Is that why Blitz2/3D has a Rocket icon?

I was just thinking that.

Wiebo(Posted 2005) [#16]
Nice read, and cool stuff for later releases. I think getting BMAX out of beta is more important than adding features though... This is just too much geeking out and not enough focus on the situation at hand. A bit dissapointing, really.

Warren(Posted 2005) [#17]
I agree. We can't even do basic keyboard input at the moment or recreate the graphics screen in real time. I don't think shaders should be at the top of the "to do" list right now...

Kanati(Posted 2005) [#18]
shhhhhhh... or we'll get an information blackout again. I'd rather know he's doing "this this and this" and have it be soemthing I don't care about... Than to not know what he's doing at all. :)

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2005) [#19]
And besides we don't have all the information or the bigger picture so we can't really say that he is or isn't doing certain things.

RiK(Posted 2005) [#20]
Ref Mark working on cool stuff instead of getting the Windows/Linuz up to release...

Mark's worklog said:
Simon has beek working hard on a (gasp) BlitzPlus based IDE for Win32 and Linux,

So I guess Mark is getting on with other stuff while Simon works on getting the Betas up to speed.

Zenith(Posted 2005) [#21]
Hey I want to complain too(But mainly about your complaints! :P), but I'd rather be lazy, and wait for a 3d module.

N(Posted 2005) [#22]
DEBUGGER. NEEDED.

I agree. We can't even do basic keyboard input at the moment or recreate the graphics screen in real time. I don't think shaders should be at the top of the "to do" list right now...

My other thoughts exactly.

AdrianT(Posted 2005) [#23]
heh, I had keyboard input problems, the minute I started using that programming for teens book I borrowed from the library, and wanted my text to draw in a graphics window.

I can see both points, I think it's cool that he's doing some fun stuff. Working on a ny big project can be a Huge chore in later stages and sometimes you need a breather, and some fun stuff, just so that you can come back with a fresh look at what you did allreday and get some focus.

It's when you don't come back the problems start. Can't wait for 3D, but the debugger and input thing has been bugging me from day one. Still on hindsight was probably silly of me to start learning programming with a beta language and no debugger in the first place lol ;P

teamonkey(Posted 2005) [#24]
What's the input problem? Input seems to work fine for me.

tonyg(Posted 2005) [#25]
getkey()?

Warren(Posted 2005) [#26]
What's the input problem? Input seems to work fine for me.

Really? Can you post your routine where a player can type in their name? That would be really useful for everyone using BlitzMax.

AdrianT(Posted 2005) [#27]
input works in the console only, but you cant print input to screen with any of the default commands. There is no such thing as getkey. That got left behind with previous blitz and left a big dirty hole of nothingness in its place.

teamonkey(Posted 2005) [#28]
Really? Can you post your routine where a player can type in their name? That would be really useful for everyone using BlitzMax.

Will this do?

[EDIT] Made it work for debug builds

Robert(Posted 2005) [#29]

Mark didn't say that was his priority. I get the impression that is is switching between this and probably spending most of his time on the Compiler / Debugger / Bug Fixes. However a worklog about the 3D stuff is obviously a lot more interesting.

Rimmsy(Posted 2005) [#30]

Will this do?

Now that's comedy.

flying willy(Posted 2005) [#31]
Don't work, sorry Tea.

Beaker(Posted 2005) [#32]
teamonkey - that routine just crashes for me. No input or display or anything.

teamonkey(Posted 2005) [#33]
Hmm. It works under non-debug build, but seems to lock up under debug build. Also Chr() is a bit flaky.

[EDIT] Ahh, got it. It's not locking up under debug build, it's just waiting for an input that never arrives. It seems that the input focus is sent elsewhere for debug builds. Try it under release mode though - it works under Windows. No shift key or punctuation, mind.

[EDIT2] Fixed it under debug mode. I changed the line
For Local i:Byte=1 To 255
to
For Local i:Int=1 To 255
and it works for debug and release modes. Bug?

Kanati(Posted 2005) [#34]
Will this do?

No. You shouldn't have to poll 255 times per call to getkey... It needs to be a single call that is included with every C/C++ io header...

Kanati

teamonkey(Posted 2005) [#35]
No. You shouldn't have to poll 255 times per call to getkey...

KeyHit doesn't poll the keyboard buffer, if that's what you're worried about. And yes, you will need to loop around the key table whether you write the routine in Max, C or ASM.

It needs to be a single call that is included with every C/C++ io header...

What do you mean? All C/C++ stdio is buffered and you've already got full access to C stdin/stdout anyway.

The biggest problem with that routine is that it just returns standard ASCII characters and ignores keyboard mappings. You could easily modify it so that it can detect Shift, Ctrl and Alt, but you'd need to write your own keymaps and it would be better if you could somehow get access to the system keymap.

On the other hand, if you need something to use as a stop-gap until a proper getKey is implemented by BR, then the above will do fine.

Robert(Posted 2005) [#36]
No. You shouldn't have to poll 255 times per call to getkey... It needs to be a single call that is included with every C/C++ io header...

All KeyHit does is return a value stored in an array, so calls will be very quick.

bradford6(Posted 2005) [#37]
moved to OpenGL forum...

Warren(Posted 2005) [#38]
teamonkey

Maybe I wasn't clear - I wanted a routine that works. No punctuation and all uppercase input does not a replacement for GetKey() make.

bradford6(Posted 2005) [#39]
flame retracted :)

Hotcakes(Posted 2005) [#40]
For Local i:Byte=1 To 255
to
For Local i:Int=1 To 255
and it works for debug and release modes. Bug?

Already discovered. The Byte loop was wrapping to 0 before it was supposed to (255+1=0 in byte form) and I guess internally the loop is just designed something like:
While i<=255
  i:+1
Wend
So it didn't detect that the 0 was out of bound either. Having said all that, I had no idea it was a debug-mode only problem...

Akira(Posted 2005) [#41]
Good to see things are progressing with the development of BMax... can't wait for the debugger and the 3D module. I would like to OpenGL although I wonder if it's worth the hassle learning when there's a 3D module coming out.