Question about GLEW 1.3.0 and OpenGL

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Question about GLEW 1.3.0 and OpenGL

bradford6(Posted 2005) [#1]
Blitz's OpenGL module currently supports OpenGL 1.2. What are the plans for further OpenGL support? does it even make sense to go above 1.2 at this point?

GLEW 1.3.0 was recently released with support for OpenGL 2.0. It appears the even Nvidia's most current drivers support up to 1.5.

Here is what I found about current driver support from ATI/Nvidia:
Nvidia ForceWare
-Version: 66.93
-OpenGLŪ 1.5 support

ATI Catalyst
-cant find??? maybe OpenGL 1.5? if someone knows, I'll update this

Here are some of the major editions from each OpenGL version.

Compressed textures
cube map textures
multisample
multitexture
tex add environment
combine enviro
dot3
border clamp
transpose matrix

auto Mipmap
blend squaring
image subset changes
depth textures and shadows
fog coordinate
multiple draw arrays
point parameters
secondary color
seperate blend functions
stencil wrap
texture crossbar environment mode
texture LOD bias
texture mirrored repeat
window raster position

Buffer Objects
Occlusion Queries
Shadow Functions
Changed tokens

Programmable Shading
Multiple Render Targets
Non power of 2 textures
point sprites
seperate stencil
Other differences

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2005) [#2]
Some of these features would be cool. I guess they chose 1.2 so that more systems are supported.

flying willy(Posted 2005) [#3]
above 1.2 didn't make sense for 2D and is a manageable bug base I guess.

I suppose when the 3D module hits we'll be looking at 2x or it'll be lame...

AdrianT(Posted 2005) [#4]
yeah GL is a bit of a pain for 3D if you want high end features. Shame DX isn't out for other platforms as that had far broader support and gets all the cool stuff first. Still beggars can't be choosers when it comes to multplatform indie game dev.

bradford6(Posted 2005) [#5]
It looks like the OpenGL 2.0 Specification has a pretty hefty featureset. I am just curious about what BRL thinks about this.

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2005) [#6]
I heard that OpenGL was generally more capable than DirectX except perhaps for pixel shaders? Anyway, I know absolutely zero about directx and that's probably how it will stay.

It WOULD be nice to have support for being able to draw to image buffers, and do the multiple frames in one texture thing, and also applying more than one texture to a quad. For 2D anyway. But I figure less systems are likely to have drivers for OpenGL 2 support.

dmoc(Posted 2005) [#7]
IIRC the spec for ogl v2.0 only came out officially a couple of months ago so maybe its still a bit early yet?

teamonkey(Posted 2005) [#8]
If you're running Linux you have the full feature set up to 1.5 (unless you've somehow managed to get some early 2.0 drivers). I'm pretty sure that OS X gives you 1.5 too, although I wouldn't be surprised if Apple were still a generation behind.

If you're running Windows you've got 1.2. This is because Microsoft decided that DirectX was the way forward and life for the OpenGL programmer should be made difficult. Fortunately the graphics card manufacturers made the extra functions available through the OpenGL extensions mechanism. In other words, you can use OpenGL 1.5 in Max right now, but you have to load the functions as extensions (for example, there's a thread somewhere around here about lights in Max, which contains some code that uses OpenGL 1.3 multitexturing). GLEE and GLEW are tools to hide all the nasty extensions code.

FWIW, I think that the functions up to 1.5 should be added to BlitzGL so that you can access them on every platform as though they were native functions, not extensions.

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2005) [#9]
1.5 might be nice, or at least 1.4?

smilertoo(Posted 2005) [#10]
Doesnt the use of opengl extensions allow the later features?
They just wernt officially part of it at that time.

Hotcakes(Posted 2005) [#11]
@Angel:1.4 is probably the most commonly used implementation, it's what Doom3 used I believe.

1.2 is very outdated and I'm frankly surprised BRL didn't go for 1.3. But them's the brakes.

Dreamora(Posted 2005) [#12]
on most lowend system you have to be happy if the have opengl 1.2.

Don't see any use of higher opengl for basic 2D. what is the use of opengl 1.3 in software mode?

sure for a more featurerich 2D some higher end features would be nice like S3TC compressed textures, more hardware blendmodes and if possible usage of VBO and other optimised static mesh stuff to speed up the 2D stuff even furher.

Gabriel(Posted 2005) [#13]
Don't see any use of higher opengl for basic 2D.

You don't see any use for compressed textures?

Dreamora(Posted 2005) [#14]
That is what I see as more advanced 2D :) *mentioned this as more featurerich 2D*

I think most of the modules were created in quite some bad hurry and some don't seem to be finished atm.
Perhaps the Max2D module is going to be extended to use extensions were the hardware supports in the process as the 3D module is being written which will "need" ( or greatly profit of it ) hardware dependent extension activation, at least if it is still planned to be a next gen module as mentioned some months ago.

Gabriel(Posted 2005) [#15]
That is what I see as more advanced 2D :) *mentioned this as more featurerich 2D*

LOL, I guess you did. Must be going blind.

xlsior(Posted 2005) [#16]
Quite a few mid-range graphics cards only support OpenGL 1.2 in hardware, so requiring higher than that could give you a performance impact on those machines...

AntonyWells(Posted 2005) [#17]
Check out the glew module you have for 1.3/1.4/1.5 stuff. s3tc textures, vbos, shaders, glsl etc. ( I doubt glew 1.30 = GL1.3, it's just a coincidence.)

flying willy(Posted 2005) [#18]
Even OpenES opengl for mobile platforms has 1.5