inline asm?

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/inline asm?

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2005) [#1]
I remember that in BlitzBasic on the Amiga, a redeeming feature of Blitz was the ability to include assembler instructions directly intermixed with Blitz commands. This allowed you to do things with registers and so on at a low level. I just wondered if there was any plan to add this functionality back to BlitzMax at some point, perhaps using a `generic` assembler instruction set which fairly closely maps to all the target CPU's?

skidracer(Posted 2005) [#2]
The Beginner's Area forum is for supporting BlitzMax programmers new to the language. Please stop posting feature requests and the like.

jhague(Posted 2005) [#3]
Generic instruction sets have been tried many times before. It's better to use C than go down that road. Processors are just too different, which is a big deal if you're going for the utmost in speed. I could elaborate here with lots of examples if you really want them!

It appears to be easy enough to include assembly language functions. There's a sample in the docs.

flying willy(Posted 2005) [#4]
feature suggestions (not request) forum should be made.

Feature Requests will cause people to feel as though their request is denied if it isn't implimented.

Feature Suggestions will not make people feel denied if it isn't implimented because it is just a suggestion.

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2005) [#5]
Sorry about that.