ODE module well under way

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/ODE module well under way

TommyBear(Posted 2004) [#1]
Hi everyone,

I've got a working version of ODE running under BlitzMax as a module. It's very crude (just wanted to see it work).

As done previously, I will release a directODE module and a wrapped ODEEngine module. Where the directODE let's you play with ODE directly if need be, and the ODEEngine presents a nice easy interface against which most BlitzMax users will want to code most common physics based tasks.

Cya!

Tommy.

taxlerendiosk(Posted 2004) [#2]
Optional Blitzified interface? Excellent. I can't wait for the first big wave of new BMax modules to hit, there must be loads of people working on one already...

Nennig(Posted 2004) [#3]
Very Impressive TommyBear!
Keep up the excellent Work!

flying willy(Posted 2004) [#4]
Should be very impressive.

skn3(Posted 2004) [#5]
Nice, would be interesting to get ODE working with max's 2d engine.

VIP3R(Posted 2004) [#6]
Great news TommyBear, I was interested in building an ODE module myself. Looking forward to testing it out :)

flaith(Posted 2004) [#7]
i can't wait to use it ;)

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2004) [#8]
ODE?

Todd(Posted 2004) [#9]
Sounds great, TommyBear. Is this going to be for Max2D or for OpenGL (or both)?

ODE?

It's a physics engine. See their website.

Hotcakes(Posted 2004) [#10]
Yes. I would be very interested to know if it works with Max2D objects...

flying willy(Posted 2004) [#11]
eh? wot do you mean? ODE does everything seperately - it doesn't care if it's 2D, 3D or anything... :)

The only thing you need to worry about I would imagine, is the coords...

Hotcakes(Posted 2004) [#12]
OK, yes, but I was referring to TommyBear's Optional Blitzified Interface version of the module... is it as easy as giving it a timage handle or whatever and doing stuff with it ;]

TommyBear(Posted 2004) [#13]
Yep. Well ODE can be used to simulate physics on any axis. You can disable the axis you do not wish to simulate e.g. the z axis which is your third dimension.

The "Blitzified" module will do callbacks into your code via a callback function. This will tell you everything about collisions etc. You can also extract information about where an object is at any time.

Cya!

Tommy.

Hotcakes(Posted 2004) [#14]
This is sounding fantastic =] Physics was my biggest problem with my 2d side scroller when I was working in B+... I got things working OK, but they weren't -perfect-, you know =] This sounds like it will be of much help.

teamonkey(Posted 2005) [#15]
Bumpity bumpity bump

Are the bindings working yet?

bradford6(Posted 2005) [#16]
This is very exciting. I am looking forward to trying it out Tommybear.

What Kinds of challenges are you facing with the module?

Takuan(Posted 2005) [#17]
amazing how fast poeple here are.
Will a Win32 Beta Max version came out first please?;-)

AdrianT(Posted 2005) [#18]
wow, sounds brilliant. I thought ODE was just for 3D even though I assumed you could do 2D. Look forward to seeing the results of your efforts :)

TartanTangerine (was Indiepath)(Posted 2005) [#19]
How's the development coming along?

VIP3R(Posted 2005) [#20]

Will a Win32 Beta Max version came out first please?;-)

I would hazard a guess that it would be compatible with all versions of BlitzMax being as it's a module.

Any more news on your progress yet Tommy?