Hi Toro's Sieve test

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Hi Toro's Sieve test

flying willy(Posted 2004) [#1]
Hi,

' Ported from another Basic for benchmarking purposes...

strict
local x,Iter,Count,i,prime,k
'Global x,Iter,Count,i,prime,k

Const ITERATIONS = 10000

Local Flags [8191]
Print "SIEVE OF ERATOSTHENES - " + ITERATIONS + " iterations"

X = MilliSecs ()

For Iter = 1 To ITERATIONS

Count = 0

For I = 0 To 8190
    Flags[I] = 1
  Next

For I = 0 To 8190
    If Flags[I]=1 Then
       Prime = I + I
       Prime = Prime + 3
       K = I + Prime
       While K <= 8190
         Flags[K] = 0
         K = K + Prime
       Wend
       Count = Count + 1
    EndIf
  Next

Next

X = MilliSecs () - X

Print "1000 iterations took "+(X/1000.0)+" seconds."
Print "Primes: "+Count
End

Changing local x,Iter,Count,i,prime,k to GLOBAL literally CRIPPLES the speed, can you explain why?

it's important for us to understand what is fast and why.

Warren(Posted 2004) [#2]
Does this even compile? You have strict turned on, you define "prime" and then use "Prime" in the main loop. Same with "i", "k", etc.

Is this piece of code the one you meant to post?

BlitzSupport(Posted 2004) [#3]
Variables aren't case-sensitive in BlitzMax, so i = I regardless of Strict or non-Strict.

As to what causes the slowdown, I guess only Mark could say...

flying willy(Posted 2004) [#4]
Yes it is a direct copy of the code, with strict added to see how globals affect performance.

flying willy(Posted 2004) [#5]
Hi James :)

I'd love to get to the bottom of this as I am doing the test across several machines and compilers.

So far, Blitzmax is indeed comparable - but it's very touchy about what you do! small changes result in drastic peformance differences.

The above code approaches the MSVC++ version in speed until you use globals. With most of us coming from Blitz3D, you can understand why we are concerned.

Here are the speed test results:

Blitz3D 2.58 seconds
Blitzmax 0.95 seconds
MSVC++ 0.71 seconds

0.7 vs 0.9 isn't bad!... but making it GLOBAL results in *worse than Blitz3D performance* - 2.6 !

Warren(Posted 2004) [#6]
Variables aren't case-sensitive in BlitzMax, so i = I regardless of Strict or non-Strict.

*sigh*

KindOfStrict

flying willy(Posted 2004) [#7]
S&M with feather whips.

FlameDuck(Posted 2004) [#8]
*sigh*

KindOfStrict
My sentiments exactly. :o>

teamonkey(Posted 2004) [#9]
You're right. The difference is slight on debug builds, but it doubles the execution time on release builds.

Looking at the .s code generated, you can see that when locals are used all the variables are kept in the processor registers. When globals are used, the variables have to be pulled in and pushed out of main memory each time.

Chances are that an intelligent C compiler would realise that you can fit all of the variables in processor registers and optimise accordingly. If you create a few more local and global variables in the C test, it might have to start storing them in RAM too.

flying willy(Posted 2004) [#10]
Perhaps global enforces storage in ram?

Where are we regarding cache friendly code in Blitzmax?

podperson(Posted 2004) [#11]
(rant)

If you want "strict" to complain if you change capitalizations -- but not treat i and I as distinct variables -- you have my blessing.

Case sensitivity in programming languages is nutty. It adds *nothing* to programming style or clarity to be able to differentiate variables based on capitalization. It's like arguing that if(a=b){..} is a great construct in C because it occasionally saves you a line of code, and frequently causes hard to find bugs.

Warren(Posted 2004) [#12]
Case sensitivity in programming languages is nutty. It adds *nothing* to programming style or clarity to be able to differentiate variables based on capitalization.

That is, without a doubt, the silliest thing I've read in weeks.

Thank you!

podperson(Posted 2004) [#13]
That is, without a doubt, the silliest thing I've read in weeks.

I could return the compliment, but I think you are misunderstanding me.

So you think it's good to have a language where thisVariable and ThisVariable and thisvariable are treated as separate variables and encourage coders to write code like this?

(I am not saying you shouldn't be allowed to mix case in your code, quite the contrary. I am saying that you shouldn't be penalised for doing so by occasionally creating bugs caused by miscapitalization, e.g. declaring i and I and then not realising you have two different variables.)

This is definitely not an uncontroversial view... it pretty much defines the difference between C-based languages and Pascal-based and BASIC-based languages (and shows where I stand). Certainly, C-style languages are ascendent, but so are a lot of dumb things.

flying willy(Posted 2004) [#14]
So you think it's good to have a language where thisVariable and ThisVariable and thisvariable are treated as separate variables and encourage coders to write code like this?
It would be caught by the compiler and throw an error. You would be forced to write it as it was declared.

Case sensitivity is also a unix thing isn't it? Personally I haven't the energy to always remember if it the I was upper or lowercase, so it's beneficial for me the way things are.

Perhaps a Strict and "Stricter" mode could be included for people like Warren.

But, please end your arguments now so the original intent of the thread is preserved :)

Warren(Posted 2004) [#15]

My position is that a language should enforce case sensitivity and programmers should be intelligent enough not to do that.

If you declared a variable as "ThisVariable" and then tried to use it as "thisvariable", you made a mistake. Fix it and compile again...

Robert(Posted 2004) [#16]
I think it is very sad that people spend their evenings discussing things like variable case sensitivity. BASIC is not case-sensitive. The 'Max language is a variant of BASIC (see the press release). Therefore it is not going to be case sensitive. EoF.

@skunk

The only person who can reliably explain what is going on here is Mark himself - I suggest you email him.

Warren(Posted 2004) [#17]
Then don't include a "strict" option that isn't strict. I wanted a steak, not hamburger molded into a steak-like shape.

EOF(Posted 2004) [#18]
Tested the sieve code on PureBasic.
Check the results (in milliseconds):
Interations     PureBasic     BMaxBeta
      10000     2243 m/sec     953 m/sec
      15000     3354 m/sec    1899 m/sec
      20000     4547 m/sec    3767 m/sec

Go MAX!

NB: Using globals in max makes the results slower than pb.

PB Source:

podperson(Posted 2004) [#19]
WarrenM:

So either you're saying:

1) STRICT should enforce syntactic rules that do not exist (i.e. prevent people from writing legal, unambiguous code). This is not so much STRICT as BIZARRE.

2) Or that BMax should be case-sensitive, and STRICT should correctly enforce this, but that programmers should be "intelligent" enough to name their variables as if it were case-insensitive. This is STRICT and BIZARRE.

There are many good programming practices that STRICT does not enforce, e.g. tidy coding, meaningful variable names, and consistent indentation. It may be good programming practice to consistently capitalize variable names, but it's also good practice to do a lot of other things.

Perhaps STRICT should also require users to submit to a urine test before compiling?

Warren(Posted 2004) [#20]
3) Blitz should be case sensitive and "strict" should enforce that.

Enforced casing leads to more readable code. WouLDn'T yOu AGreE?

Floyd(Posted 2004) [#21]
I do agree that casing leads to more readable code, but I still don't think it should be 'forced'.

However, it would certainly be nice to have an IDE that auto-capitalized previously defined variables and functions, as is already done with keywords.

flying willy(Posted 2004) [#22]
Could you please take the case sensitivity to another thread as it is rather off topic.

I would like to see the original point of globals being slower than locals looked at, as it's an intriguing thing.

Warren(Posted 2004) [#23]
Erm, I thought someone already covered that? Registers vs memory fetches ...

flying willy(Posted 2004) [#24]
Mark was nice enough to reply to my email and cleared this issue up nicely. He says there's room for optimisation in the compiler and confirms the memory fetch.

He urges that we should use locals just about everywhere. Warren, would you know about this if I didn't bring it up? I think you should be more open minded about my insistence to learn.

I am only trying to get the best we can from this new language.

Warren(Posted 2004) [#25]
So, memory fetches then? Great.

flying willy(Posted 2004) [#26]
Pull your socks up and act like a man.

BlitzSupport(Posted 2004) [#27]
Warren, in fairness you are trolling a little here, and it's not helpful or useful.

marksibly(Posted 2004) [#28]
Hi,

Locals will ALWAYS be faster no matter how much I tweak the backend - a read/write to a CPU register will always be faster than a read/write to memory. I think this is mentioned in the language reference in the 'variables' section.

marksibly(Posted 2004) [#29]
Ok,

Quick tinker and I've got the global version from 2.25 down to 1.62!

Hotcakes(Posted 2004) [#30]
Cool. Imagine what he could do if he tried for more than just a quick tinker? =]

Why was Blitz3D differant? I was under the impression in B3D globals were always just as fast as locals. I made everything I possibly could a global...

Kanati(Posted 2004) [#31]
I'd always been taught that you should never use globals unless you absolutely had to... and you should never HAVE to. :)

Hotcakes(Posted 2004) [#32]
<whines> But they're so cool. =]

marksibly(Posted 2004) [#33]

Why was Blitz3D differant? I was under the impression in B3D globals were always just as fast as locals. I made everything I possibly could a global...

Before Max, Blitz stored its locals on the stack - ie: also in memory.

BlitzMax sometimes has to resort to using the stack if there aren't enough free cpu registers, but appears to do a reasonably good job of avoiding this.

Hotcakes(Posted 2004) [#34]
I see. Jolly good to know.

{cYan|de}(Posted 2004) [#35]
case sensitive sucks, whats the damn point? if its only gonna tell you to make a letter lowercase or whatever, there is no reason to have it.

LarsG(Posted 2004) [#36]
yeah... what he said!

Warren(Posted 2004) [#37]
I AgREe. WHat'S tHe DifFERenCe?

AntonyWells(Posted 2004) [#38]
And tonight on Fox, xTreme Examples III.

My problem with it is although I can be fairly certain of maintaing a set casing..umm standard, I can't make everyone else use the same.
So when using other people's libs(Which we all do, if we're more interested in getting a game done than coding every little bit ourselfs) I have to memorize their style.
And then the next guy's...and then the next...

taxlerendiosk(Posted 2004) [#39]
My position is that a language should enforce case sensitivity and programmers should be intelligent enough not to do that.

Enforced casing leads to more readable code. WouLDn'T yOu AGreE?

So you think that you can trust programmers not to have two variables with the same name but different capitalisation, but you can't trust programmers not to occasionally suffer a stroke while writing out variable names and stab randomly at the caps lock key?

Warren(Posted 2004) [#40]
The purpose of a "strict" compiler is to enforce rules. Every major language in existence today enforces case sensitivity.

That BlitzMax doesn't, is a real shame.

AntonyWells(Posted 2004) [#41]
JustAnotherPureBasicEditor(?) handles it the right way imo, as it uses the function/variable/constants definition as the casing, and whenever you use the reference in code it's automatically converted to the same case, word for word as the original def..So whatever casing you use, it reverts to the original's.

dan_upright(Posted 2004) [#42]
The purpose of a "strict" compiler is to enforce rules. Every major language in existence today enforces case sensitivity.

That BlitzMax doesn't, is a real shame.
i really can't understand why you're so bothered about this at all - ok, so the compiler doesn't throw an error if you try to use "blah" instead of "Blah" but it also doesn't matter if you use "blah" instead of "Blah", so what you lose on the swings, you make up on the roundabouts
JustAnotherPureBasicEditor(?) handles it the right way imo, as it uses the function/variable/constants definition as the casing, and whenever you use the reference in code it's automatically converted to the same case, word for word as the original def..So whatever casing you use, it reverts to the original's.
that would be an ideal solution really

Warren(Posted 2004) [#43]
It just bugs me that we finally got a "strict" keyword, and it's neutered. I wanted something other than what I got. Allow me my pouting...

taxlerendiosk(Posted 2004) [#44]
Sounds like programming language peer pressure to me. "Come on, man - you'll never be a major language if you don't take a toke off this here case sensitivity like the big boys. You wanna spend the rest of your life sucking your thumb and alternating caps with all the other Basics...?"

Heh. Sorry. I'll stop.

Warren(Posted 2004) [#45]
Close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades. And Blitz, apparently...

Kanati(Posted 2004) [#46]

That's the way VB has handled it forever... That's definitely the ideal solution. The compiler doesn't enforce it, but the editor you use DOES.

Warren(Posted 2004) [#47]
That'd be fine. Anyone know of a good source code editor for Mac? :)

flying willy(Posted 2004) [#48]

I think I'll be getting the first IDE that does this.

Nelvin(Posted 2004) [#49]
I do not understand why JimBs results do not increase linearly with the number of iterations - one would for sure expect the results (of course scaled by the speed of the language/compiler/machnie) be like the ones using PureBasic.
Extrapolating the results I'd guess at 25000 iterations PureBasic would be as fast as BMax and at 30000 outperforms it.

@JimB maybe you can validate that without much effort?

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2004) [#50]
Well spotted, Nelvin. That's a bit worrying, whatever case you type it in.

marksibly(Posted 2004) [#51]
That is weird...but it's not happening here.

My times are roughly:

5000=.4
10000=.9
15000=1.2
20000=1.6
25000=2.1

ie: roughly linear.

Kanati(Posted 2004) [#52]
gotta wonder if maybe his machine doesn't have other things going on...................

EOF(Posted 2004) [#53]
@JimB maybe you can validate that without much effort?
Sure thing. I entered a value of 1899 above which I just realised is the number of primes.

Anyhow, here's another run with more test results:
Interations     PureBasic     BMax Beta
       5000     1131 m/sec     477 m/sec
      10000     2344 m/sec     942 m/sec
      15000     3385 m/sec    2869 m/sec
      20000     4476 m/sec    3793 m/sec
      25000     5678 m/sec    4833 m/sec
      30000     6799 m/sec    5690 m/sec

The modified BMAX code I used (to show m/secs)

Nelvin(Posted 2004) [#54]
Did the test on my machine and the results are as expected (e.g. linear) so everything's ok. I just noticed the distribution and thought I mention it cause sometimes strange things/bugs happen ;-)

Hotcakes(Posted 2004) [#55]

That's how Protean does it too.

Floyd(Posted 2004) [#56]
Here's a quick analysis of the JimB timing data:
 iter  ms   ms/iter
===================
   5   477    95
  10   942    94
  15  2869    191
  20  3793    190
  25  4833    193
  30  5690    190
So the first two tests run at full speed and the rest at half speed.

This suggests a small primary cache, sufficient only for the first two. Celeron?

podperson(Posted 2004) [#57]
@WarrenM

1) Good source code editors on the Mac:

Well, there's BBEdit (and BBEdit Lite, which you may find around although it's no longer being supported). http://barebones.com/

There's also CodeWarrior of course. And Project Builder.

SubEthaEdit (formerly Hydra). http://www.codingmonkeys.de/subethaedit/

And tons and tons of others.

Pretty much all your standard UNIX editors work just fine in the terminal (vi, emacs, et al are there).

If you want to knock up your own Blitz IDE there's RealBasic ($99) with which you could put together an IDE in very short order (something I keep planning to do in a spare week...)

2) Enforced Case

There's nothing to stop you using insane casing in C, you just are forced to be consistent. And how does treating thisvariable, Thisvariable, thisVariable, and ThisVariable to coexist in the same scope as distinct variables make code more readable?

As I said, if you want STRICT to complain about inconsistencies in case or even to make every instance of an identifier consistent automatically (so if you declare thisVariable and then refer to thisvariable, the second will become like the first), I agree. But case sensitivity is dumb, and you haven't managed a single coherent argument in its favor.

Nelvin(Posted 2004) [#58]
@Floyd the algorithm does only need some small fixed code as well as a small fixed amount of memory, so cachesize should not affect the results at all. Even less at thousands of iterations even for the first test.
I guess it might be just some other tasks running on the machine but only about every second - maybe repeating the test a hundert times for each number of iterations and taking the average would give the expected results.

Floyd(Posted 2004) [#59]
Yeah, I didn't study the code very closely. I was thinking the test got 'bigger' when it really is just repeated more times.
That slowdown of almost exactly 2X sure is suspicious. It's what made me think the explanation must be a matter of primary cache versus secondary ( half speed ) cache.

John Pickford(Posted 2004) [#60]
Could it be a memory issue? Flushmem?

Warren(Posted 2004) [#61]
As I said, if you want STRICT to complain about inconsistencies in case or even to make every instance of an identifier consistent automatically (so if you declare thisVariable and then refer to thisvariable, the second will become like the first), I agree. But case sensitivity is dumb, and you haven't managed a single coherent argument in its favor.

Look, we're past this now, alright? If I have to explain why case sensivity in a language is a good thing, I'm obviously talking to someone who won't understand. There's a reason why all the heavy hitter languages enforce case (Java, C++, C#, etc).

John Pickford(Posted 2004) [#62]
I think it's a terrible idea. Two variables differentiated only by case is a recipe for bugs. And taking the 'you're obviously not clever enough to understand' line is obnoxious and self-defeating.

Warren(Posted 2004) [#63]
No programmer in his right mind would have two variables that differed only by case. Why are people claiming that this is what I'm advocating? I simply want to be told when I type in a variable/function name wrong. And yes, getting the case wrong is a syntax error. In every other language I've ever used, that is...

And I'm not saying "you're not clever enough", I'm saying "you're not experienced enough". IMO, of course.

dan_upright(Posted 2004) [#64]
And I'm not saying "you're not clever enough", I'm saying "you're not experienced enough". IMO, of course.
then teach us oh wise one - explain why it matters even the tiniest amount if you get the case of a variable wrong? unless you're entering some kind of "prettiest code" competition, i can't see any reason at all why i should care about the non-difference between "myvar" and "myVar"

taxlerendiosk(Posted 2004) [#65]
You must not use our easy game-making BASIC language until you have mastered ten much harder languages!

Warren(Posted 2004) [#66]
You know what? You guys are right. I concede. It doesn't matter in the least and, obviously, every other language I've ever used is doing the wrong thing.

John Pickford(Posted 2004) [#67]
I'm saying "you're not experienced enough".
You'd be wrong there.

Michael Reitzenstein(Posted 2004) [#68]
It's amazing the amount of people who used to argue against Option Explicit being implemented (including one memorable guy who had the nerve to tell us that we needed to learn how to type, complete with a typo in his post).

Having an option to throw up an error if you use a different case for a variable is an excellent idea. I think that Strict needs to be expanded, eg Strict Declarations, Strict Case etc - it will vary from programmer to programmer just how strict he wants to be. I don't think this is nearly as urgently needed as Option Explicit was back in the Blitz3D days of course, but it would be a nice option.

Warren(Posted 2004) [#69]
You'd be wrong there.

I love the internet.

John Pickford(Posted 2004) [#70]
I can understand the desire to maintain some sort of naming style but I think it would be very odd for a non case specific language to report an error where there isn't one. The proposed super-strict mode wouldn't help prevent a single bug. Perhaps this is a feature for an IDE?

Kanati(Posted 2004) [#71]
A) I see where you are coming from Warren... It should be a compiler switch I think. Complain or don't complain. But I still think the editor should enforce the case in the way that VB handles it as well. In that way, you won't need to worry about whether you typed it right. The editor "fixes" it for you.

B) Just for sheets and grins I ran the sieve on my laptop and got a linear progression as well... Also did a little converting over to IBasic Pro and tested there as well. Was a little surprised (maybe I'm doing something wrong)...

Just checked Powerbasic 7 too btw...

The results were:

Interations     IBasic Pro    BMax Beta    PowerBasic7
       5000     3074 m/sec     585 m/sec    1735 m/sec
      10000     6159 m/sec    1103 m/sec    3265 m/sec
      15000     9204 m/sec    1899 m/sec    4914 m/sec
      20000    12408 m/sec    2207 m/sec    6557 m/sec
      25000    15342 m/sec    2744 m/sec    8164 m/sec

Warren(Posted 2004) [#72]
Kanati

The IDE doing it is fine, but I'd rather have the compiler doing it. I wanted a "strict" option but I got something else and I'm pissy about it.

That's all.

John Pickford(Posted 2004) [#73]
Warrenm is a plonker.

Panno(Posted 2004) [#74]
@KANATI in PB7 demo please use dim as register

Warren(Posted 2004) [#75]
John

If only.

John Pickford(Posted 2004) [#76]
I wasn't talking about you. Obviously.

Perturbatio(Posted 2004) [#77]
I can think of nothing worse that someone being able to write:
ReallyStrict

Local human = 1
Local hUman = 2
Local huMan = 3
Local humAn = 4
Local Human = 5
Local HUman = 6
Local HUMan = 7
Local HUMAn = 8
Local HUMAN = 9

Local hUMan = Human-hUman+(Human*huMan)/HUMAn

If hUMan < (HUMAN *((HUMAn*((HUMan/HUman)+Human)/humAn)*(huMan*hUman))*human ) Then Print hUMan Else Print HUMAn

and it compiling.

*EDIT*

(except of course trying to understand it at a later date).

AntonyWells(Posted 2004) [#78]
In that case a word test can be run on each keyword as it's entered, only flagging an error if it's over 30% different case wise. Meaning single case differences would be ignored, but messy stuff like the above wouldn't get past the compile stage.

StrictOrElse

John Pickford(Posted 2004) [#79]
29% I can understand, but 30% is crazy talk.

AntonyWells(Posted 2004) [#80]
Then obviously, we settle at 29.5%. A good comprimise is when both parties walk away unhappy.

Warren(Posted 2004) [#81]
I wasn't talking about you. Obviously.

If only.

Kanati(Posted 2004) [#82]
@KANATI in PB7 demo please use dim as register

You are right. Thanks for that catch. Unfortunately it didn't make any difference in the speed. If you can optimize that routine, by all means be my guest. I definitely don't want to hamstring a language because I didn't optimize it correctly.

Hotcakes(Posted 2004) [#83]
I think it's funny that Max at 25000 was still faster than IBasic at 5000 ;]