Fmod, in Max.

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Fmod, in Max.

Drago(Posted 2004) [#1]
Ok, I have a working Fmod Module for blitzmax not all commands are done yet. The question I have is about its Liscence, ie if anyone uses this module I think that they will need there own liscence for it if they use it for commercial, shareware or what ever other liscences it has.
What I want to know am I actually allow to release this, I know there is a Purebasic wrapper available on the FMOD website, so I think it would be fine, but if anyone knows for sure I would like to know.

flying willy(Posted 2004) [#2]
This sounds very cool drago. What advantages are there over current bmax sound, and is it cross platform?

Drago(Posted 2004) [#3]
Fmod, works on Window, linux, and Mac, but Since I only have access to windows, and Linux someone else will have to make sure that the mac one will work. :)

For what it supports, well 3d sound, sample editing. loads of music and Sample formats.

to find out the most info about it, go visit the website www.fmod.org

taxlerendiosk(Posted 2004) [#4]
I'm looking forward to this, I miss being able to use MOD music already :) From what I understand of the licensing, you'd need to pay $3500 for a single fully-commercial game (if you release it on all 3 BlitzMax platforms), but it's still free as long as what you use it for is free.

Hotcakes(Posted 2004) [#5]
The shareware license fee is not unreasonable however... altho more than 1 platform... I don't know how that would work... but it's definately worth looking into. I might spearhead a freemusic module in the future to work alongside freesound... but it all depends if I have time/somebody beats me to it =]

Bremer(Posted 2005) [#6]
@Drago, are you still working on this?

JaviCervera(Posted 2005) [#7]
do you guys know that FMOD has expensive licenses, even for shareware products, right? For an indie developer, it's basically $100 for each title and each platform you want to release for.

I prefer OpenAL, as it is totally free.

The Caffeine Kid(Posted 2005) [#8]
It's fine if you are doing freeware though. :D

Sledge(Posted 2005) [#9]

I prefer OpenAL, as it is totally free.

I don't know why module playback is not an out-of-the-box feature. Blitz BASIC 2 could play mods so it's not like Mark doesn't know to do this stuff.

I've been looking at the DUMB docs this evening and I guess its output could be directed into a TAudioSample for playback - but it would be a stretch for me to wrap the library (ultra-lite C coder, you see) and it's not like I can do a trial run with the demo. Until the 3D module comes along and blows our socks off I can't help but see (the entirely free) AllegroGL as the more holistic environment. Man, I'm a tightwad.

Bremer(Posted 2005) [#10]
I was going to use it for some demo-like stuff, which would be freeware ofcause since its just graphical demonstrations of effects. And I was looking for something that would be easy to get the .mod .it .xm etc. tunes going with me having to dig too deep into something as I would like to focus on the effect coding part of things.

I will take a look at both openAL and DUMB, but I am already thinking that those require a good deal of work to be useful.