Novodex, Novodex, Novodex

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Novodex, Novodex, Novodex

TommyBear(Posted 2004) [#1]
Hi everyone,

Just wondering how many people want to see rigid body physics in BMX. I've been looking at making a module for BMX that uses novodex http://www.novodex.com . Go to the site and download novodex rocket to see some demos of it in action... pretty amazing.

For those who don't understand what rigid body physics is, think half life 2.

Novodex is a professional physics library and is used by in unreal tech.

Now the only wrinkle here is that novodex is only free for non-commercial use, it costs money to use it in commercial products. But since some people do only non-commercial stuff here I though it would be a neat addition. And if you are going to publish... well the publisher can pay the licensing for you :)

So do poeple want to see novodex in BlitzMax?

Drago(Posted 2004) [#2]
ODE is also open source and free, maybe you could look at then.

www.ode.org

Beaker(Posted 2004) [#3]
I think it would be much more sensible to use a free library like ODE or Tokamak.

TommyBear(Posted 2004) [#4]
ODE is slow (mostly contact stuff and unstable), tokamak is okay but again slow. Both are missing heaps of features that novodex has, for example auto ragdoll generation is a big one and I'm pretty sure neither implement breakable joints. Download novodex rocket and see for yourself.

Novodex is also more game friendly and exhibits much less exploding. I think it is justified as long as you understand that it's free for non-commercial use only.

TommyBear(Posted 2004) [#5]
Okay maybe I gave ODE a bit of a bad wrap... it looks as if it has improved... I might make a module for it instead.

AntonyWells(Posted 2004) [#6]
I'd prefer novodex personally. I use tokamak in vivid and it's pretty unstable unless you're very careful(Tokamak, not vivid(Damage control)) and ode looks extremly over the top(Set up wise)

The way you explain nova sounds like it won't have those problems..and besides, if we ever get to the point where out game is going commercial, a license wouldn't be too much of a worry. Most people will do freeware stuff with it(Guess) anyway.

TommyBear(Posted 2004) [#7]
hmmmmmmmmm still thinking...

flying willy(Posted 2004) [#8]
I do not prefer novodex as a developer of shareware. ODE represents a much more sensible solution.

ODE is used in softimage, xbox games and more... and you have the gall dismiss it out of hand? :)

it has also been used by many blitz3d users and it being open-sourced we could possibly build a very decent cross platform module for it.

How do you feel about making a module from the source if it's at all possible?

Gabriel(Posted 2004) [#9]
I agree with you that Tokamak is missing a lot of important stuff, but ODE seems to be quite a leap ahead of Tokamak, and if the free aspect wasn't good enough, it's actually open source as well. There have been quite a number of retail releases from the Blitz community, and - with all due respect - I can't think of one that would have been likely to persuade a publisher to part with the kind of money that Novodex probably costs.

If you really, really want to do Novodex, at least get in touch with them and see if they'd be interest in some kind of indie license for shareware/indie developers that is a reasonable price ( perhaps $100 for shareware, same as FMod/Bass. ) Someone from the IndieGamer forums was going to do this, I recall, but I don't recall seeing any reply. If they're not prepared to consider an indie license, it's a heck of a lot of work to go through for something a lot of people will dismiss because it cannot be used in any of their shareware/commercial projects.

flying willy(Posted 2004) [#10]
Yep you can't beat the big three:

Open source, Cross platform, and Free!

:)

TommyBear(Posted 2004) [#11]

ODE is used in softimage, xbox games and more... and you have the gall dismiss it out of hand? :)

Well I'm not dismissing it... but it is slow. In fact the biggest problem ODE has is stack overflows from recursive contacts (though this can be capped) and common explodes and speed when handling too many.

I'm still considering ODE and I think it would be most suitable at the moment.

Note in my line of work we don't actually use ODE or other toolkits for our PS2 and XBox titles. We mostly use the cheap and nasty spring forces approach. I know ODE is being used in BloodRayne but they won't using too much of ODE guaranteed, current gen machine just can't do rigid body physics on too many entities with enough precision and then also have time to render pretty graphics. Next Gen machine like the XBOX3 and PS3 are a different matter.

So yes I'm considering ODE at the moment anyway. Simply because I have access to the source and I've used it before. But novodex would be nice because IT IS industry grade and game friendly.

Tommy.

TommyBear(Posted 2004) [#12]
Okay I just compiled the libs, I'll get to work

TommyBear(Posted 2004) [#13]

I'm pretty sure neither implement breakable joint

I lied... somebody has contributed a breakable joints implementation to ODE :)

TommyBear(Posted 2004) [#14]
OK OK, I'm officially working on the ODE module for BlitzMax... so please stop email me!!! sheesh :p

Dreamora(Posted 2004) [#15]
cool to read that someone is working on ODE :)

Caff(Posted 2004) [#16]
Yeah nice, I look forward to seeing something working :)

Robert(Posted 2004) [#17]
Would it be cross-platform ?

matt!(Posted 2004) [#18]
Tommy you're a BMX module mad-man! :)

Keep up the good work

Hotcakes(Posted 2004) [#19]
TommyBear do you visit Adelindie? Would be good to have a fellow Maxer showing em how things should be done ;] I'm just a load of hot air at the moment...

TommyBear(Posted 2004) [#20]

Would it be cross-platform ?

Yup.

Jeroen(Posted 2004) [#21]
Tommybear,

I'm wondering: how are you testing your BlitzMax ODE module, if there is nothing to test visually (no 3d module)

taxlerendiosk(Posted 2004) [#22]
I'm wondering: how are you testing your BlitzMax ODE module, if there is nothing to test visually (no 3d module)

It's already perfectly possible to render 3D, you just need to know OpenGL. The 3D module will only make it more "Blitzy" and include LinePicks and Collisions etc.

flying willy(Posted 2004) [#23]
You have 3D right now - take a look in the samples - many 3D demos there, Jeroen.

AaronK(Posted 2004) [#24]
Tommy I take it you're making a real bmx module, that can simply be imported, or just used as it as opposed to many includes?

Aaron

Jeroen(Posted 2004) [#25]
denzilquixode & skunk:
Woops :-P
I think I'll wait for the Blitzy-module, I'm lazy :)

TommyBear(Posted 2004) [#26]

I'm using the OpenGL module that ships with BlitzMax

TommyBear(Posted 2004) [#27]

Tommy I take it you're making a real bmx module, that can simply be imported, or just used as it as opposed to many includes?

Yes, just like my Zip and LUA scripting modules.