Standard GUI stuff

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Standard GUI stuff

zeedoktor(Posted 2004) [#1]
From what I understand so far, it's not possible to create standard GUI apps with bmx. How do you get input from the user? Do we need to manually program our own windows stuff, i.e. create window manager functionality in OpenGL for instance?

Is there anything planned to allow for windowing and standard controls such as textboxes and buttons? Heck, unlike some people here I wouldn't even mind paying extra for that...

Cheers

- Balt

soja(Posted 2004) [#2]
Yes, you would create your own UI for the user in your game. There are many ways to do this.

Yes, a GUI is planned.

Loonie(Posted 2004) [#3]
well, if you have full opengl, then perhaps you can use glut? mark? if so, then it provides everything you need :)

Perturbatio(Posted 2004) [#4]
I'd suggest if a GLUT type lib were used, that it be an Open Source one.

http://www.opengl.org/resources/libraries/windowtoolkits.html

zeedoktor(Posted 2004) [#5]
glut is at present not supported it seems. correct? any plans for the future?

RexRhino(Posted 2004) [#6]
I think that BlitzMax is primarily a game/multimedia program... so I think they are more focused on graphics/audio/etc. I haven't seen many BlitzPlus GUI applications at all. It is handy to have a GUI sometimes, but most users want to create games.

Perturbatio(Posted 2004) [#7]
GUI's are important, most games use them, even if the game players don't realise it.

A main menu for instance is a list of buttons.
GUI functions are exceptionally handy for creating editors, it saves a lot of work.

zeedoktor(Posted 2004) [#8]
Well, to be honest, it never quite appears professional to me if the settings for a game are modified in some hard to read, non-standard GUI. I really hope there's something coming up...

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2004) [#9]
I'm sure they'll be adding full GUI support soon and it should be cross-platform compatible so you get basically the same thing on all 3 platforms. It's personal preference whether you think a native gui is best for setting preferences, that's part of your design philosophy. But yeah, I definitely think BlitzMax is a great language to do ANYTHING in and it'd be really nice to be able to create and manipulate fully capable GUI's in the native style, to create apps, editors and the like. They could even include embedded quicktime or opengl areas as part of the app. That'd be nice.

zeedoktor(Posted 2004) [#10]
We definitely need to evolve true cross platform windowing capability. That includes of course using those windows as hosts for OpenGL buffers...

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2004) [#11]
and also getting video and animation working with opengl

Ed(Posted 2004) [#12]
Isn't the Win32 IDE built in BlitzMax using an as-yet unreleased GUI module? Or am I making things up again?

Dreamora(Posted 2004) [#13]
theoretically it could just use Windows API hooks to create the buttons. This does not need a full GUI module.

flying willy(Posted 2004) [#14]
RexRhino (Posted 2004-12-17 22:05:20)
I think that BlitzMax is primarily a game/multimedia program... so I think they are more focused on graphics/audio/etc. I haven't seen many BlitzPlus GUI applications at all. It is handy to have a GUI sometimes, but most users want to create games.

Most users will not be able to create the game without tools. And tools need GUI's.

Dreamora(Posted 2004) [#15]
BlitzPlus isn't a really good example as most that needed GUI at the time it came out already owned PureBasic or use VB etc for it so BB+ ran into a spot that was already overcrowded with a direct competitor ( PB ) that is multiplatform and cheaper.

Hotcakes(Posted 2004) [#16]
And probably did a more complete job.

Isn't the Win32 IDE built in BlitzMax using an as-yet unreleased GUI module? Or am I making things up again?

That's how I understand it. Altho in the same sentence skid referred to it as the BlitzPlus module, so either they're using the BlitzPlus runtime within BMax or the working title is 'BlitzPlus Max module' or something to that effect ;]

dmoc(Posted 2004) [#17]
xplatform = wxWindows