UDP & TCP

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/UDP & TCP

Jeroen(Posted 2004) [#1]
Hmmm, where are the TCP and UDP commands? Do I need to include something?

Thanks

BlitzSupport(Posted 2004) [#2]
There's only low-level sockets access for now -- hopefully there'll be more high-level stuff soon!

{cYan|de}(Posted 2004) [#3]
it will be free aye?:P

Jeroen(Posted 2004) [#4]
I assume it will be; as a Blitz3d owner I expect at least the same commandset, or something comparable, except the 3d engine which probably will be much more advanced.

Warren(Posted 2004) [#5]
Well, you can expect it all you want but unless BRL has actually said publically that the feature sets will be the same, you may be in for a rude surprise. :)

Jeroen(Posted 2004) [#6]
Well, I think they should be more clear on those upgrades and so on.

BlitzSupport(Posted 2004) [#7]
Why is it that some people assume they're going to be charged for every little addition to BlitzMax? How much did you get charged for all of the updates to Blitz3D, for example?

None of this stuff is decided as far as I know, but you should hopefully be able to rest assured, based on past experience, that we're not here to rob you blind at every possible opportunity.

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2004) [#8]
James do you have a website for your own stuff?

Dreamora(Posted 2004) [#9]
BlatzSupport: Thanks for that post ... I'm happy this is BRL here, not TGC ( which would sell every little thing for a fee of 30$ )

Jeroen(Posted 2004) [#10]
Hehehe

NEW! MOUSE POINTER MODULE FOR BLITZMAX.
NOW $99 IF YOU ORDER IT WITH THE KEYSTROKE MODULE!
THAT IS $30 CHEAPER IF YOU BUY THOSE MODULES SEPERATELY!

Perturbatio(Posted 2004) [#11]
Includes such commands as MOVE POINTER TO LEFT x, MOVE POINTER TO RIGHT x, MOVE POINTER TO TOP x, MOVE POINTER TO BOTTOM x.
Don't hesitate to get our diagonal movement lib alongside this with only an extra $19.99 surcharge.

FlameDuck(Posted 2004) [#12]
Why is it that some people assume they're going to be charged for every little addition to BlitzMax?
Experience. Not with Blitz Research ofcourse, but I'm sure that point is moot.

To be fair, it's not unreasonable to expect to not get anything for free, Blitz Research really is more the exception than the rule in this case (which is proven by the shots at TGC, which I must admit was my first thought too).

Heck, Blitz Research is more the exception than the rule when it comes to shipping software that actually works, never mind getting stuff for free!

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2004) [#13]
Mikkel, do you have a mac or are you waiting for the pc version of BlitzMax?

Hotcakes(Posted 2004) [#14]
He has a singing Santa.

skn3(Posted 2004) [#15]
Why is it that some people assume they're going to be charged for every little addition to BlitzMax? How much did you get charged for all of the updates to Blitz3D, for example?

Blitzmax was such a cheap price, there has to be some way for you to make up for that. Obviously if you were to start charging for features that basically just versions of commands already in b3d/b+ then people have something to complain about.

Im guessing that gui/3d/physics are the 3 most likely charge for modules to come. Id be happy to purchase all but the gui module (going on the implimentation that b+ has). The b+ gui lib is nice but seriously lacking. I guess that is all change due to the new language, so erm.. lol.. I should probably wait and see.

Hotcakes(Posted 2004) [#16]
Id be happy to purchase all but the gui module (going on the implimentation that b+ has).

Just imagine where B+ would be right now if it were open sourced tho...

FlameDuck(Posted 2004) [#17]
Mikkel, do you have a mac or are you waiting for the pc version of BlitzMax?
Well I have a Mac (well 2 actually) but neither can run BlitzMAX (and are thus mostly useful for playing the odd game of Escape Velocity).

Just imagine where B+ would be right now if it were open sourced tho...
That's odd. Of all the people in the world, I would never have imagined you being a champion of OpenSource... :o>

Anyway, the BlitzPlus GUI module is platform specific, including, but not limited to using embedded Internet Explorer controls.

I'd wager that any GUI that BlitzMAX gets will rest comfortably ontop of an exsisting cross-platform GUI livrary, like GTK+, QT3 or wxWidgets. Still...

A bit early to start talking about GUI's when the Win32 and x86 Linux versions (never mind the 3D engine) aren't even out yet.

skn3(Posted 2004) [#18]
Im gonna be tinkering imediatly with some win gui stuff. Probably have some kind of mini lib out very soon after release. It would be free and opensource, so perhaps people could add bits to it :) (that depends if I get it done.. lol)

I have many unfinished windows userlibs for b+, most unfinished due to limitation with the language.

GDI, tooltips, MDI, yadda. I can see bmax is going to be bags of fun! :D

matt!(Posted 2004) [#19]
If we do get UI, I'd like a generic set of functions that are mapped to the OS UI widgets.

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2004) [#20]
I think they are probably aiming for cross platform compatability all the way, so that the promise holds up - you just transfer the source and media to the new platform and recompile it, no changes needed. So I'm sure it would have to be abstracted from the native system and made into a generic portable interface. Which is great.

Hotcakes(Posted 2004) [#21]
That's odd. Of all the people in the world, I would never have imagined you being a champion of OpenSource... :o>

Um, I seriously have no idea why you said that. Or why there's some sort of demented smiley after it ;] Way over my head I'm afraid...

Blitz's only problem up to this point is that it has been held in the tight grasp of one man. Simon is only a half man so he doesn't count ;]