Supported file formats

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Supported file formats

Warren(Posted 2004) [#1]
Is there a list somewhere of the supported file formats for BlitzMax? Specifically, for the LoadImage command? I just found out the hard way that TGA files won't load... A comprehensive list would be handy. :)

skidracer(Posted 2004) [#2]
Uncompressed TGA loaders should load, Run Length Encoded TGA support is on my list of things to do this week (apologies for the inconvenience).

BMP is supported (although I just fixed a problem with bmp files failing if they have less than 256 colors) and PNG and JPG should be solid.

Warren(Posted 2004) [#3]
OK, fair enough. Thanks for the info! I'll check out the TGA file and see if it's RLE'd or not...

Just so I'm clear about what I've done : I uploaded these TGA files to an internet server and then downloaded them into my Mac (I can't get them to talk across the local network at the moment). Using a file that was created on a Windows machine wouldn't cause problems, would it?

MRaven(Posted 2004) [#4]
No, shouldn't be a problem.

Warren(Posted 2004) [#5]
OK, cool.

Last night I installed the demo of Photoshop CS and it showed the graphics with the same problems as loading them into BlitzMax does, so obviously the other paint programs I was using were lying, or fixing the images as they were loaded, or something else sneaky like that. :)

I'm going to try and use Photoshop from now on...

podperson(Posted 2004) [#6]
I recommend GraphicConverter to anyone using a Mac. If you have a reasonably recent pro model (3y old or less), you've got it for free somewhere.

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2004) [#7]
I like Graphic Converter too, but for me it just doesn't have enough functionality to CREATE graphics or change how they look.

LeisureSuitLurie(Posted 2004) [#8]
If you have Apple's X11 installed, try the Gimp.

podperson(Posted 2004) [#9]
GraphicConverter is pretty much useless for creating images -- but it's awesome for conversion and batch-processing. Point is, doesn't matter what format your images are in now, GraphicConverter can push them into any format you're likely to need in a few seconds (without messing them up).

And yes, Gimp is probably your best free option for creating new images.

Warren(Posted 2004) [#10]
For low cost editing, Photoshop Elements comes in at around $100 and it's basically the same as the full version of Photoshop. Working with alpha channels is a tad more painful, but other than that it's got all the power of the real Photoshop for 1/6th of the price.

matt!(Posted 2004) [#11]
I swear by GraphicConverter

(and Photoshop)