Seeking Neverland

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Seeking Neverland

dw817(Posted 2016) [#1]
BlitzMAX is a powerful language, no doubt about it, which is why I chose it over the others.

I did have a question though. Is it possible to create a "neverland" directory ?

That is, a directory that ONLY my current program in BitzMAX can create and access ?

I can store binary files in there and read or write to them in my leisure ?

RustyKristi(Posted 2016) [#2]
Maybe something feasible would be hidden and not exclusive to your program. Just create an obscure folder name (maybe using subfolders) somewhere in AppData and there you go.

I don't think it's also recommended (if it is possible) as the user should have full control of his files/directory and not the program, unless you're making some form of spyware or virus. :-)

dw817(Posted 2016) [#3]
No, RK.

I just want to be able to create a useful program in BLITZ that can further access a different EXE, in this case, the runtime to a separate video game written in a different programming language.

I don't want to release the raw EXE of the 2nd language as with command lines, the source could be extracted. I'd really rather it not appear in any folder at all.

The problem I'm seeing is while I may be able to get it to work in Windows 8 (the OS I have). It is possible that it won't run at all in earlier versions of Windows, and by that I mean the BlitzMAX code I write that creates the Neverland directory.

RustyKristi(Posted 2016) [#4]
Ah ok. understood.

checkout enigma virtual box, its free and you dont need to extract files, it just functions like a virtual folder so your files are completely hidden. you dont need to change your code as long as you use relative paths.

it also supports single exe mode or multiple file packages.

dw817(Posted 2016) [#5]
Enigma Virtual Box ? Ok, I'll take a look, thanks.

Also, could you please address my Fireball inquiry ?

RustyKristi(Posted 2016) [#6]
if you like a some help on how it works just post a placeholder exes and I could build a demo for you plus the project file so you can try it for yourself on your actual program.

RustyKristi(Posted 2016) [#7]
yea count me out on deep 2d blitz stuff sorry. I'm a noob in terms of blitz graphic manipulation :-)

dw817(Posted 2016) [#8]
Please ! I'd be very interesting in that, Rusty.

RustyKristi(Posted 2016) [#9]
ok for the enigma stuff, just post the placeholder executable files and folder structure. It should run and simulate to what you are trying to do.

dw817(Posted 2016) [#10]
I'm running into another problem. I have ENIGMA up, I would like to REMAP the ESCAPE key during runtime to letter "X."

I don't know if the Freeware version of Enigma, or even the commercial one will do that.

RustyKristi(Posted 2016) [#11]
that's not a problem, as I have said it's the same way you go about with your normal code.

Your only concern with Enigma are paths and write access (it will not hide file writes)

Silver_Knee(Posted 2016) [#12]
Maybe you get something with Incbin working? You can extract the exe into a tmp folder, start it and delete it.

RustyKristi(Posted 2016) [#13]
@Silver_Knee

I think he is more into hiding it completely and no trace on hard drives which enigma exactly does.

dw817(Posted 2016) [#14]
Actually, SK, RK, I have very good tools to recognize where 'hidden' files go. Watching carefuly I saw that Enigma creates a temporary directory and then stuffs it with random named and random extension files.

It saves me the trouble from writing it (as I have the code for this), but - no, not really 100% hidden. Beginning to believe it's not possible to do.

And another question that works directly with the first. Can I disable a single keystroke, such as the ESC key, and only re-enable it also in Blitz when I'm ready ?

RustyKristi(Posted 2016) [#15]
Not sure about that dw817 maybe that's some sort of windows swap file you're looking into OR they are making false claims..

The application supports almost every file type, ranging from DLL, OCX, COM, media files including; AVI, MP3, etc., to DOC, TXT. The whole file emulation is carried out without extracting any temporary files, as all the processes are done in memory. The application working is based on injecting all the files which are to be inserted into main executable file. According to developer, when an application (which you’ve inserted in it) tries to access a set of embedded files, its loader recognizes this and returns all the necessary data to make the application run without any problems.

http://www.addictivetips.com/windows-tips/create-compressed-virtualized-applications-with-enigma-virtual-box/

Anyway, I'm glad you sorted this out! :)

dw817(Posted 2016) [#16]
Yeah, not in memory. Maybe for the registry - but not when you call a new EXE. Using Process Manager (from Microsoft) I can immediately see where a new "hidden" EXE is running, and its location.

What's curious is in Enigma, you have the option of creating a temporary registry. I have the codes for changing the keyboard, in this case, ESC to "X," but - it only works when you reboot the computer.

At a virtual level, it does nothing. I just need a temporary ESC to key "X" and not when the program is deemed done.

I may let ZEP fight this though as it is his brainchild.

I'm excited enough for BlitzMAX to now have the ability of working with internal files that don't need to be saved outright near the EXE such as TXT and OGG or WMA exceeding 4-minutes.