Who the what are the Blitz Collective?

Derron(Posted 2016) [#4]
@ Skidracer
I think this Thread might have answers.
(it even contains replies of _you_).

bye
Ron

JoshK(Posted 2016) [#5]
I contacted Mark and I'll wait to see if he is interested in this.

therevills(Posted 2016) [#6]
Any response from Mark?

RustyKristi(Posted 2016) [#7]
I think the better question is, why not Monkey or Monkey2 where Mark is now busy with and now puts his efforts instead.

I like all Blitz products and this idea Josh (great feature btw) but assuming BRL's interests, something does not add up here.

BTW, who's account is Blitz Collective?

degac(Posted 2016) [#8]
Maybe (personal interpretation) because MX2 is still a 'wip' (=too young, no official mobile support yet etc)
Bmax has a great history of games/applications written (and still running): has more flexibility than MX1, and you can write native-GUI applications with no problems.
And of course BMAX has a 10 years of tutorials/code base/discussion.

Chapman7(Posted 2016) [#9]
He would have to take up officially supporting it and I doubt it's something he's too interested in doing.

Matty(Posted 2016) [#10]
The first comment is revealing on that steam page - no documentation - no quality user reference material in the software....this is still the thing that puts me off monkey and blitzmax compared to blitz3d - the complete lack of quality documentation and having to learn from forum posts why things do or don't work or how to use certain commands. Blitz3d/blitzplus/blitzbasic all had amazingly high quality documentation.

Zethrax(Posted 2016) [#11]
Yes the docs for BlitzMax were a joke and the IDE was a buggy mess.

I don't know why Mark went for a mostly linear approach to the BlitzMax docs. It makes them a massive nuisance to navigate. They should also have had additional passes through them to flesh them out over time, rather than just a one and done.

This is one reason I prefer Purebasic for most of the stuff I'm working on at the moment. A solid IDE and properly fleshed out documentation in an easily navigable CHM file.

But, y'now - this is a lesson Mark has never learned and probably never will learn. Hence his apparent woes with generating sales for Monkey-X.

JoshK(Posted 2016) [#12]
What's wrong with the BMX docs? You hit F1 and it navigates to the currently selected command. It's easy.

Zethrax(Posted 2016) [#13]
What's wrong with the BMX docs? You hit F1 and it navigates to the currently selected command. It's easy.

In that extremely specific situation where you've already got the command you need typed in then sure it's easy. In the wide variety of other situations where you need to browse for the command you need then it's a nightmare. A nightmare that would have been easily solved with a less linear documentation layout.

Bear in mind though that I've got the memory retention of a brain damaged goldfish, so I'm constantly referring back to the docs to remember the specifics of commands. Someone with a better memory is going to have a different experience.

Kryzon(Posted 2016) [#14]
You all make fair points, but it's been like this for years.
Just let things flow gracefully to where they're headed.

Matty(Posted 2016) [#15]
From the last time I used BMX docs (over 10 years ago - it may have changed) - some commands simply had a one sentence description, or even nothing and simply a parameter list with no links or explanations of what any of them did. There was no real reference. And the commands documentation themselves provided next to zero description of them.

Henri(Posted 2016) [#16]
There is the online documentation which is probably better structured for beginner (or B3D user). You can find the same stuff from IDE too, but in slightly more convulated way.

As for IDE itself I'd recommend the Munch's upgraded version found here with basic intellisense and scintilla editor (I use it and it's quite solid).

-Henri

TomToad(Posted 2016) [#17]
That version of the IDE gives me an EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION error.

Derron(Posted 2016) [#18]
@ TomToad

Maybe you should build and execute that MaxIDE via your vanilla MaxIDE to see where it crashes.

bye
Ron

Henri(Posted 2016) [#19]
You need the SciLexer.dll in some folder as maxide.exe.

-Henri

degac(Posted 2016) [#20]
About documentation:
there's an online manual, everyone can add examples & informations on it.
I've hacked MaxIDE to have a 'local search engine' in the IDE (so I don't need to remember the full command, just type pixmap to see every possible results).
Of course a CHM file allows a deeper search (not only in the 'command' itself but also in the description): but I think it's a possibility to implements.

ps: after 10 years (+forum) 'not finding informations' is no more a valid response.

JoshK(Posted 2016) [#21]
Type TPixmap, press F1, and all the fields, methods, and functions are listed. How is that difficult?

Derron(Posted 2016) [#22]
@ JoshK

I think the issue is, if you do not know "TPixmap", you are stuck.

It like using a monolingual dictionary: if you do not know even one of the translations of a word, you wont find what you are looking for.

bye
Ron

kiami(Posted 2016) [#23]
BlitzMax is gone because its inventor wanted it to be gone. The inventor wants Monkey 2 to be supported. Right?

Grisu(Posted 2016) [#24]
Great to see that BMX still rocks. ;)

skidracer(Posted 2016) [#25]
kiami, what is this word "gone" you keep using? Maybe you mean "finished"?

The fan club was discontinued several years ago but the core community is here for the long run.

kiami(Posted 2016) [#26]
Gone like Winforms + GDI+ is gone or gone from the point of view of the inventor. It is gone like you still use Winforms, but its direction is somewhere else. Philosophically, it is negated in a sublime form, some elements still exists, like society evolves from feudal form to capitalist form where some elements still exists - religion or hierarchy. Monkey retains some elements of BlitzMax, while is not BlitzMax.

skidracer(Posted 2016) [#27]
For me your references don't add up. Gone as in Unity plugins, Java applets and state sponsored teaching of creationism?

JoshK(Posted 2016) [#28]
For the record, I am planning to go ahead and release this as a free product. I may add my own DLCs and charge money for them, like a 3D engine or a new MaxGUI driver.

Hardcoal(Posted 2016) [#29]
im not a steam expert
so i would like to know what are the advantages of blitzmax
being green lighted by steam?

Xerra(Posted 2016) [#30]
I'd say visibility is the most obvious answer, for starters.

xlsior(Posted 2016) [#31]
im not a steam expert
so i would like to know what are the advantages of blitzmax
being green lighted by steam?

Steam has 125 million active users -- being listed in their store is a huge plus for any software program.

(Heck, even if one in a million people gets a copy that's still 125 new users)

JoshK(Posted 2016) [#32]
If Bruce wants to use this to release BMXNG he can have it.

JoshK(Posted 2016) [#33]
I can release this at any time, but it's not going to gain that many users as a free app on Steam. It would actually pick up more users as a paid app.

Foolish(Posted 2016) [#34]
JoshK - thanks for helping to keep the Blitzmax torch alive. I started playing with Monkey, but in the end it led me back to Blitzmax!

Pakz(Posted 2016) [#35]
Looking forward to getting Blitzmax from Steam ! This rocks!