[solved]Slow compiling in Windows 8/10

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/[solved]Slow compiling in Windows 8/10

col(Posted 2016) [#1]
I'm using Windows 10 and Blitzmax_NG.

Last night after updating ng to the latest commit(s) I found compiling any modules took about 2-3 seconds per .c file to be compiled. Obviously something wasn't right lol.
Initially I thought it was the update that was causing the issue so I rolled back a couple of commits. Still no joy.

Now I start thinking it was my system going bonkers. I decided to look into the Task Manager for any clues, sure enough the 'anti-malware service' was knocking the cpu gauge up to 25% - at least that's something I had to go on and a potential direction to go in. The 'anti-malware service' is a part of the Windows Defender suite so I went into its settings and added an exclusion to not scan in my BlitzMax_NG folder. Sure enough everything is now back to full speed.

So if you start experiencing similar issues and find that the 'anti-malware service' is going nuts in the task manager, press the Windows key, type 'Windows Defender' and press Enter to load it up. Click on 'settings', Under the 'Exclusions' title click 'Add an exclusion', then click the '+' next to 'Exclude a folder'. This opens a folder requestor for you to then browse to your 'Max installation folder. Click the 'Exclude this folder' to remove that folder from the security scans.

Hope it helps!!

therevills(Posted 2016) [#2]
Thanks Dave - this fixed my debug compiling in vanilla BlitzMax on Windows 8.1 too :)

I couldnt see anything happening in the task manager though, but by excluding my BlitzMax folder compiling/linking has gone from 10 seconds down to 1 second!!

col(Posted 2016) [#3]
Hey therevills!

I'm glad you got it fixed up too!
I changed the title to suit ;-)