Bah.rtMidi openPort issue...

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Bah.rtMidi openPort issue...

Taron(Posted 2016) [#1]
I'm afraid hardly anybody will have dealt with that, but still...

midiIn.openPort(0) brings the following error:

MidiInWinMM::openPort: error creating Windows MM MIDI input port.

I have no clue what to do about it and can't find any info thus far. Does anybody have any experiences with midi input for Blitzmax on Windows?

RustyKristi(Posted 2016) [#2]
I'm not using it atm but maybe you can check out this old topic:

http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=97812

Hope that helps..

Taron(Posted 2016) [#3]
Thanks, Rusty, but <ugh> that almost takes away the last bit of hope there, haha. >...<

Yeh, I don't know, it's so freaking foreign to me, that midi stuff. I'm using a Roland UM-1 usb midi interface, which apparently doesn't make the midi mapper appear in the control panel, thus an attempt to open a port via Windows MM is bound to fail. Seems like there has to be a different way of going about opening such a midi port?! <shrugs>

Taron(Posted 2016) [#4]
OH NO, OH NO, I think, I know what it is! <facepalm>
I run 64bit windows and can only have 64bit drivers for the USB Midi interface, making it unavailable to 32bit apps...
...and I doubt BlitzMax will ever go 64bit, which is really its guaranteed doom, of course, but it will always remain a fond memory.

Or are there any plans for survival of Bmax?

xlsior(Posted 2016) [#5]
...and I doubt BlitzMax will ever go 64bit, which is really its guaranteed doom, of course, but it will always remain a fond memory.

Or are there any plans for survival of Bmax?

Brucey's Blitzmax NG can compile 64 bit executables, and interface with 64 bit DLLs.

Midimaster(Posted 2016) [#6]
I use Bah.RtMidi in all my education software. Brucey is still maintaing this module. If there is a problem he will solve it.

But... you cannot open an MINI-IN port if there is no one. By default windows has no MIDI-IN but only MIDI-OUT. Only if you connect a hardware device like a Roland UM-1, the system adds an entry to the midi in list. But the hardware needs to be installed correctly. You need an up-to-date driver for each operation system. If it is installed correctly (and connected) you can see the device in windows system control!

Also here is a tool to check the hardware:
http://www.midiox.com/zip/midioxse.exe

In 99% of all problems of my users the device was not installed correctly. If it is really a RtMidi problem, contact Brucey... he will update this module.

Did you test with Bruceys MIDI-IN-code?

Taron(Posted 2016) [#7]
Thanks, Midi, but I already found out the issue (32bit bmax vs. 64bit midi driver). My UM-1 is working fine for 64bit apps (DAW: MuLab).

xlsior: REALLY? As in: WHAAAAAAT? O_O
I have to urgently find out more about that! Holy heck, that would be A W E S O M E !!!
...this is to say: THANK YOU for the information!

I'll post a little openAL physical modelling synthesis right now! 8}

Taron(Posted 2016) [#8]
So, I tried hooking rtmidi up for BlitzMax NG, immediately giving an expected pointer error, yet, only for closeport method, which I then "fixed", but it still has compiling errors... not sure, if I have the power to fix them all?!

Has somebody taken care of that already somewhere?

Midimaster(Posted 2016) [#9]
do you know, that RtMidi has an own homepage? Bruceys module is only the wrapper...

There is a new update from feb 2016 and a lot of additional informations:

http://www.music.mcgill.ca/~gary/rtmidi/index.html

Taron(Posted 2016) [#10]
Ugh, that's cool. Guess I should have a look into linking that up with bmax. I've never written a wrapper myself, but I'm certainly curious about it!

Thanks! 8)

Brucey(Posted 2016) [#11]
All the rtMidi examples clean build and run in 64-bit native against the latest BlitzMax NG across all supported platforms, as far as I am aware.

Your issues may be with your own code. Feel free to post an actual error, which could help resolve your problems.

Taron(Posted 2016) [#12]
Oh, no I just tried compiling the mini in example!
I'm not sure, if I have all the latest stuff? It's not as easy to tell, I find.

Thanks, though, Brucey, I'm super happy to hear from you here!!! 8D

I hope, in time, I'll get a good chance to make you happy, too! 8}