openvr module

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/openvr module

LT(Posted 2016) [#1]
Topic started HERE, but needed to be moved.

I'm looking into wrapping the openvr module, but my knowledge of C++ is not yet strong enough. Openvr is not open source, unfortunately, but there is a basic c api, which I am hoping to extend. There is a .dll and .lib and I used LIB2A to turn them into a .a archive.

There are only a few functions with global entry points and I can access those just fine, but I need to learn whatever is necessary to make the wrappers for other functions. If I can get this to work, I am happy to share the library. :)

I am looking for any helpful tips.

RifRaf(Posted 2016) [#2]
I'm very interested in this project, thanks for at least attempting this.

RifRaf(Posted 2016) [#3]
If anyone can get this to work, I would donate to the cause. Very interested in a wrapper for steamvr

LT(Posted 2016) [#4]
Seemed there was no interest in this beyond the two of us.

Wrapping the functions hasn't been bad, so far, but it turns out that most of the implementation involves tying it to your engine. I do have the HMD part working with mine, but I haven't gotten around to wrapping controller functions or doing a proper release. Also, what I have is pretty reliant on OpenGL and I'm not sure how a DX version would work.

I will try to release something soon, but it's likely I won't have time to make examples using one of the existing engines (like MiniB3D). Perhaps someone else will follow up on that...

RifRaf(Posted 2016) [#5]
What 3D Engine do you use ?

LT(Posted 2016) [#6]
I'm using my own proprietary engine. The openvr functions should be easy enough to use with others, though. Just get the left and right eye camera matrices, render stereo views to textures, then submit those textures to the hmd hardware.

RifRaf(Posted 2016) [#7]
Cant wait to take a peek at the OpenVr stuff. Thank you.

LT(Posted 2016) [#8]
This is just a quick update. I figured if I was going to post the openvr wrapper, it needed an example of how to use it, so...

I've decided to go ahead and open source my low-level engine. This requires extra work because it isn't quite ready for the public.

I'll post more info about this when it's ready, but it means the openvr wrapper will come with at least one working example. Use the engine or not - up to you.

RifRaf(Posted 2016) [#9]
Wow. That's very nice of you. Thanks!

LT(Posted 2016) [#10]
Finally posted the OpenVR module and a small engine with examples.

This is NOT the full engine that I use, but it's good enough for testing purposes. OpenVR registers two controllers and can get data from the trigger and touch pad, but the handle squeeze and other buttons are not reported, for some reason.

The library can be found >>here<<.

The VR example is example3 in meld.mod/tinyengine.mod/examples...

RifRaf(Posted 2016) [#11]
Thanks! ill check this out asap