Retro Dungeon Crawler example

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Retro Dungeon Crawler example

Hezkore(Posted 2016) [#1]
I made this little first person retro dungeon crawler "engine".
I won't be working on it any more so I figured I'd share it here.

It works by feeding a "tile maker" (included) a 3D mesh, like a wall, floor or a tree etc.

You'll have to excuse my 3D, I'm terrible at it heh.

The tile maker then takes pictures of the mesh from different angles and makes a 2D tile sheet.
Like this:

The idea was that I'd then draw onto these tile sheets in Photoshop, giving them a more pixel retro look.

But anyways, then the game can use these tile sheets to render a 3D world which is actually only 2D.

(Some assets are from Open Game Art)

You'll find the source-code for both the test game and tile maker over at Bitbucket: https://bitbucket.org/Hezkore/retro-dungeon-crawler
It comes with EXE files for Windows, so you can just give the demo a quick go without compiling anything.
In the demo you can walk around a tiny map and knock down some walls by walking into them.

dw817(Posted 2016) [#2]
Looks pretty good. Now I'd be interested in someone that does 3D dungeons in BlitzMAX minus external .MODs - so they run right out-of-the-box.

Hezkore(Posted 2016) [#3]
OpenB3D is used in the tile maker for loading the 3D models, so that's kinda needed.
But for the actual game the FBO module is only used for stretching the graphics.
You could very easily remove the FBO module and use SetScale instead.
It's a 10 minute job heh. :)

However, I do recommend getting OpenB3D and my FBO module as they're very useful.

dw817(Posted 2016) [#4]
I just wish 3D programming was simpler. You know, even with a MOD, allow you to easily create a 3-dimensional cube with minimal of code.

Specify image or colors or fades for all 6-sides, specify alpha for each facet, then inject it directly into an X Y Z location matrix along w the ability to specify camera X Y Z and R1, R2, and R3 for camera rotation for virtual eye.

RustyKristi(Posted 2016) [#5]
Looks great!

AdamStrange(Posted 2016) [#6]
interesting, sort of like wolfenstein with heretic graphics.

Hezkore(Posted 2016) [#7]
Thanks everyone!
It's inspired by other dungeon crawlers, such as Eye of the Beholder

(Jump to about 4 minutes in)