I'll Have The Seizure Salad (Source Included)

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/I'll Have The Seizure Salad (Source Included)

dw817(Posted 2016) [#1]
There are a few things I really don't understand in the world. Hypnosis, Epilepsy, and the Higgs Boson theory.

Epilepsy is certainly an unusual condition. Through a series of flashing lights and sometimes just pictures, people can and have gone into seizures.

I know I was 7-years old. I remember this well. I was with my Mom, the B&W portable TV was on the ground, we were getting ready to put it up on a table to see it better when I looked at it and there a scene of a man getting ready to dive into the water from a diving board.

The camera was facing away from the diver. The diver dove away from the camera and the camera followed him into the water with an inaudible splash (as the sound was turned down).

For some reason my brain just didn't like what it saw, and I had, as my Mom explained to me, a seizure because of it. For a full minute she said I was moaning - like I was angry. finally I returned back to awareness and realized I had drool down my face and my bottom lip was bleeding from biting it.

Nothing else has seemed to trigger this. So - to this day it is a mystery to me.

Back in 1997 there was a bright and colorful TV show called Pokemon that released one very unique episode full of flashing lights and colors. This particular episode caused a seizure in many children in Japan.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denn%C5%8D_Senshi_Porygon

Now, having found and looked at the video clip, it does not do anything or affect me in any way. I since downloaded and looked carefully at it frame per frame to extract out the color information.

What you have here is a program, if I am correct, that will induce a seizure in someone if they have epilepsy, which apparently I have to a small degree. While this color arrangement and flash effect does not create a reaction in me, perhaps it will in you.

If you think you might have a problem, be prepared to hit the ESCAPE key to end it early.