Microcode Maze Maker (Source Included)

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Microcode Maze Maker (Source Included)

dw817(Posted 2016) [#1]
Updated 03-12-16 12:34pm
This is in wrong area, please place in programming, thanks !

Mazes really are fascinating things. And there are so many different kinds that are out there.

What I had put on the back burner and was curious about was how to make a perfect maze maker in as tiny space of coding as possible.

Basically a mental challenge for myself.

Now there are many ways of writing a maze generating program, some can be quite huge, but none I think as small as this for BlitzMAX:

What I am doing is choosing a random location and just chiseling outward until I cannot, and only then choose a new random position. And by doing so it really does create a workable, playable, and perfectly diabolical maze.

Enjoi !

AdamStrange(Posted 2016) [#2]
excellent code :)
didn't like the formatting :0

here's a slightly modified version that plays nicely with superstrict
and appexit
I've also tinkered slightly with the code to give a better (shorter) run of corridor lengths

dw817(Posted 2016) [#3]
Hi Adam.

Sorry to take so long to get back to this. I still posted this in the wrong area so I wasn't looking in this Forum.

I'm glad you have an interest in this. Reading your code ... I see you are creating some variables for Map Width and Map Height, but they cannot be displayed properly because Function Update is still drawing them at a size of 32x32 pixels.

Additionally you have variables X and Y being set to random variables that do not match Map Width or Height.

As for a simple maze, if you don't like the intelligent worm design, you can change my code HERE:

If n>99 Then x=Rand(15)*2-1 ; y=Rand(10)*2-1 ' pick a random position

to THIS:

x=Rand(15)*2-1
y=Rand(10)*2-1 ' pick a random position

The code you wrote crashes sometimes if run in DEBUG mode, it overwrites some of the walls too, so there is a problem in it.

As for adding spaces between commands, functions, and variables. This is an auto feature of GFA and sorely missed in BlitzMAX.

if a=5 then b=6+c
IF a = 5 THEN b = 6 + c

GFA would correctly space and CAPS and COLOR commands once you pressed ENTER on a line.

AdamStrange(Posted 2016) [#4]
Agreed. there are some crashes - my Bad ;[

some error checking for out of bounds x/y positions is needed

The overwriting of some walls I did for a different type of maze with more routes through it

Yep. I wish there were a lot of things that max does which could be better :(

Henri(Posted 2016) [#5]
As for adding spaces between commands, functions, and variables. This is an auto feature of GFA and sorely missed in BlitzMAX.

This is not a language feature, but IDE feature. For instance, IndevIDE automatically formats lines by adding spaces were needed.
Munch is currently developing MaxIDE fork <as seen in this thread> ,so if this feature is desired you could try asking.

-Henri

dw817(Posted 2016) [#6]
Hi Adam:

Until such time I will keep my code tight and small with no spaces. I never had to type them in GFA, ultimately when a good new (not WIP) IDE comes out, loading the code should automatically put spaces in them.

Henri, I am looking at this MaxIDE but it certainly does seem to be a WIP, still with bugs. I will continue to use my current IDE until it's an official and error free release.

Also, I tried out some other MaxIDE forks and was disappointed to see many of the features I like in current MaxIDE not to be present. Two come to mind.

[1] You must click in the window every time you ALT-TAB to it. Current MaxIDE automatically focuses the window, not requiring you to use the mouse to click in it.

[2] You cannot use CTRL-LEFT and CTRL-RIGHT arrow keys to navigate code, you must use CTRL-TAB and SHIFT-CTRL-TAB which I do not like.