Voice Recognition

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Voice Recognition

daaan(Posted 2016) [#1]
Anyone ever worked with voice recognition? The link below supposedly makes it pretty easy. Anyone want to wrap it for post xmas gift to the bmax masses? :D

http://jasperproject.github.io/

dw817(Posted 2016) [#2]
I haven't in BlitzMAX. Briefly looking it appears that you must have additional hardware not normally shipped with a computer. The library may be free but it requires a special chip [LINK].

If you just want good voice recognition software minus the hardware requirements, there is always "Dragon Naturally Speaking" which is what my Father used.

Brucey(Posted 2016) [#3]
It's all Python, so I'm not sure what you'd want to wrap?

daaan(Posted 2016) [#4]
@dw817, Thanks for the recommendation. I'll look in to Dragon Naturally Speaking.

@Brucey, Good point!

xlsior(Posted 2016) [#5]
FWIW, Windows itself has basic speech recognition built in, it's just not enabled by default: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/set-speech-recognition#1TC=windows-7

dw817(Posted 2016) [#6]
Really very helpful, Xlsior ! Bookmarking that site.

skidracer(Posted 2016) [#7]
I'm not sure if they are still supported but on XP systems microsoft agent technology was fun in it's day.



Due to customer feedback, Microsoft has decided to provide an installation package of the Microsoft Agent core components for use on Windows 7. This package includes the required components to enable applications to work with MS Agent. In addition it contains the character “Merlin” which was also shipped in Windows Vista. Please read the EULA with the package for more details for downloading, installing, and servicing for end users. Microsoft Agent is still being deprecated and will not be included in future versions of the operating system. This package is intended for use only on Windows 7 and is not supported on any previous or future operating systems. No new features have been added to this release, but the product has been localized for languages supported on the Windows Vista operating system.

Oh. :( RIP merlin and clippy.

angros47(Posted 2016) [#8]
In the past voice recognition required special hardware, today every computer or smartphone is powerful enough. The main issue is that most voice recognition software need to be "trained", that 's why on phones usually a cloud based solution is preferred (it can learn from thousands of users )