Stars have gone!

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Stars have gone!

JBR(Posted 2015) [#1]
Driving me nuts!

Yasha(Posted 2015) [#2]

markcw(Posted 2015) [#3]
Lol. Perhaps you should take a break from the forum?

dw817(Posted 2015) [#4]
Maybe just some different kinds of markers ? • • •

skidracer(Posted 2015) [#5]
If I can't come up with a satisfactory thread title I choose not to create said thread.

IMHO teh * character in thread titles is noise and brings great shame to the community

Fielder(Posted 2015) [#6]
i hate that type of °markers°

but... all this "SOURCE INCLUDE" will be on CODE ARCHIVE?

Casaber(Posted 2015) [#7]
Stars are nice, It´s a shame you cannot have colors that would have been helped to make them even more christmassy. It's nice though.

^
^^^
^^^^
^^^^^^
^^
^^^^^^^^

I provide some trees to go with that.

Casaber(Posted 2015) [#8]
My tree got very ill, It looked so good at first sight.

dw817(Posted 2015) [#9]
Casaber, there is nothing to say you can't include an image that matches the background of the items here.

One green tree to go ! :)

Grisu(Posted 2015) [#10]
I think JBR is right.

Stars in topics make them much harder to read and aren't funny.

dw817(Posted 2015) [#11]
Ah, I only use stars when they are worth it. Original new and interesting program - sourcecode included. :)

Now ... I COULD start adding asterisks in my code for remarks to clutter it up.

' *** Here it does stuff
' ******** here stuff happens too - even neater
' **************** here it does stuff too ! (don't miss this !)

Floyd(Posted 2015) [#12]
Whatever your intentions are it ends up looking like this:

http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/userposts.php?user=16199&page=3
http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/userposts.php?user=16199&page=4
http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/userposts.php?user=16199&page=5

markcw(Posted 2015) [#13]
In programming etiquette, if you're editing someone else's source it is considered polite to observe the same style: indents, spacing, capitalization, etc as the original author.

Similarly on a programming forum it is good etiquette to post in a style that fits in. It may seem funny but you can end up being ignored.

kfprimm(Posted 2015) [#14]
If you think your working/self-contained code is interesting, please post them into the archives. I think it's a far more appropriate place.

http://www.blitzbasic.com/codearcs/codearcs.php

Calling attention to your posts with stars implies that your posts are in some way more important than others. I'm sure that's not the intention, but as Floyd points out, it's a bit excessive.

dw817(Posted 2015) [#15]
Munch, since when have I ever reposted someone else's source where I changed the tabulation ?

Now, if someone wants to use my source, they are welcome to tabulate it any way they are comfortable with. We all have our style of coding we are familiar with.

Floyd, actually it's an easy way for me to find my posts. I CAN use a different character for identification if you find the asterisk to be such an affliction.

Kfprimm, nope. I like them here so they can be critiqued or modified as no work I have ever done I ever consider complete. If they get moved to archives by staff, that's fine.

Additionally, NO ONE is forcing you to read my sourcecode. If you see the asterisk and you don't like it, DON'T READ MY POSTS OR PROGRAMS. Very simple.

markcw(Posted 2015) [#16]
I wasn't talking about you specifically dw817, I was talking about programming etiquette. What I was trying to point out was that on a programming forum in particular using * characters or all caps or anything unconventional to draw attention to your post is not such a good idea as you may get ignored by people who might otherwise have been helpful. I suppose it doesn't matter if you don't want any help.

JBR(Posted 2015) [#17]
Hey, I'm starting to like the stars now. Whisky is doing its job.

dw817(Posted 2015) [#18]
JBR's got the right idea *Grin* ... Actually, when I WANTED help, I posted without stars (as of recent). I suppose you don't practice what you preach or you would've addressed it.

At least be consistent, munch, I always am. :)

markcw(Posted 2015) [#19]
Well I tried.

JBR(Posted 2015) [#20]
Tis the season to be jolly

Grisu(Posted 2015) [#21]
A real star needs no stars. ;)

dw817(Posted 2015) [#22]
Still, Grisu. Better to be a candle and shine than to merely curse the darkness. I have my light and it is recognizable to me. *

xlsior(Posted 2016) [#23]
Keep in mind that (intentionally) annoying people isn't the best way to get people to want to help you when you are stuck or have questions -- and those asterisk in the topics are definitely annoying.

markcw(Posted 2016) [#24]
God rest ye merry Gentlemen...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZaUEWkAHdg

dw817(Posted 2016) [#25]
I will post topics with asterisks when I do NOT want people to reply to them, Xlsior. And I will leave them out if I feel I need some help on something that someone with greater skill can assist in.

So far this has worked quite well and everyone has honored my request, including you.

Munch, it is the New Year ! Time to celebrate !

markcw(Posted 2016) [#26]
:(

dw817(Posted 2016) [#27]
Oh, don't be sad, Munch. I tell you. I remember going downtown Fort Worth to watch fireworks. I told my sister that I don't think I would ever see any fireflies anymore.

She looked around, people were everywhere, cars all parked on the grass, picnic places set out, middle of the night and kids were screaming and people carrying on.

But she surprised me.

She said, come with me.

So I went with her. She walked only a short distance, not even a quarter of a block, then she ducked into a large bush and bade me follow.

I did - and there in the darkness were many many fireflies. All flitting about and looking wonderful. It was an incredible sight to behold.

Silly nonsense about these asterisk. I will give this to you though, Munch. If you so desire it, I can remove ALL asterisk from my posts - if you really feel and believe that it is somehow hurting other people.

I will value and accept your judgment on this.

Bobysait(Posted 2016) [#28]

Ah, I only use stars when they are worth it. Original new and interesting program - sourcecode included. :)

it's an easy way for me to find my posts.

Sorry to have to say that this way, but ...
Whenever you act like this, you're being selfish.

The forum is for every one and your topics are not better than others (And I suppose you already know that), so you're not supposed to decorate them to make them more visible.
Because, if you keep in mind we can all use every kind of tricks, the forum will just get really dirty and your topic, in the end, won't be distinguished from others. All what will happen is just an unreadable section.

We all keep the section clean because of respect one for the others.
And BTW, it's like someone who just answers its own topic by "Up" just to get its topic on top.

There is noone here who diserves more attention than the others. Just keep this in mind when you post something, because when you do that, you just make the other topics less readable only to get yours a better seen (I suppose you don't think other members does not deserve to be seen the same as you, do you ?) and also because that's the main reason why this forum is not a war zone yet.

dw817(Posted 2016) [#29]
Bobysait, I am not the only one using special characters for topics. I scan back some topics and see people using underlines as the start of a character to see that they can find theirs.

Have you addressed them too ? No ? And why is that ?

I am waiting for a reply from MUNCH.

As for my own topics, I could put post after post in reply, but no, I haven't. I edit the post only to make updates to the program. They certainly do not appear back at the top. They maintain the same position where they were.

And yes, that is supposed to be the case. Where all posts appear at the bottom where nobody sees any change. Certainly you have never looked at any of my programs because you are deterred by the asterisk, so perhaps that is a good thing here ?

Getting all bent up and out of shape over a single 8-bit character. There is a term called live and let live. How many OTHER forums do you think would mind if I placed an asterisk in front of my posts ?

None ? Really ? Then there is something else going on here. Perhaps I'm the only person submitting code recently and that is certainly a good reason to hate me.

Perhaps next you should tell me I'm not wanted here and to get the hell out ? No ? You can't say that but you feel it. I can see that you do.

Now who truly is the victim here ? None of this would've happened had I not submitted any source codes. And that's rather sad really because I thought I was being generous. Perhaps you feel otherwise.

Is really removing all the asterisks from the subject-line in my post going to make things right with you ? No. And why is that ?

Endive(Posted 2016) [#30]
His behavior is attention-seeking behavior-- good attention, negative attention, it doesn't matter as long as it's attention. Now he has a thread devoted to giving him attention.

Why should he stop?

It's not just the asterisks, it's the aggressiveness toward people who have tried to help him, and that I really don't understand.

Most people would have said "Oh, it's remotely annoying?" then stopped immediately. This guy doubled down and has gotten aggressive when called on it. I stand by my statement that this is aspie behavior. He's caught in a trap where he doesn't like negative attention and it makes him angry but it's better than getting none at all.

Look at all the acknowledgement he's getting.

xlsior(Posted 2016) [#31]
I will post topics with asterisks when I do NOT want people to reply to them, Xlsior. And I will leave them out if I feel I need some help on something that someone with greater skill can assist in.

Just don't be surprised when people start tuning you out altogether.

Bobysait(Posted 2016) [#32]
dw8xxx , I don't care of what you do or not. Whatever you want to prove or not about what you think you're doing when you do something ... It doesn't change anything.
You post topics with asterisk regardless of the others topics ? Ok, I think you're selfish, that's all. Give the reason you want, you only think "Your" post are better than others. What I think is, you think you are so good that every body should know about you ... But what i see, is just a child that grew with progammation and is not "that" good at all. You're maybe full of good attention (or not ...) the code you "give" is :
- lot of copy-paste (you can't claim giving sources while they are in fact not yours...)
- a bit (sometimes a lot) messy and not optimize at all.

BTW, You're not the only target, I also react on others topics, but I'm not here to react at anytime somebody act like an ass.
If you're as smart as you pretend to be, you won't have to answer me because you know what you're doing only profits to you and you only.
And sorry but ... that's selfish ^^

ps : you can recognize easily your topic by using "Ctrl+F" and type your pseudo.
You can also go to the account and hit on "forum post".
So there is really no need to add axtra stuff to the titles.

Endive(Posted 2016) [#33]
The thing I don't get about this guy is that he's a grown man. You'd think he was a 12 year old.

The issue is no longer the initial behavior, it's his taking issue with being called on the initial behavior. His attitude that the stars (and his attitude) would be tolerated on other programming forums is frankly absurd, people elsewhere just don't have any tolerance whatsoever.

Frankly I think *that* is aspie, as programmers tend to be. Our harping on something as minor as stars in the topic is also aspie/OCD but it is what it is and when a bunch of people tell you some behavior is annoying them, you don't argue about it, you just change the behavior and forget about it.

dw817(Posted 2016) [#34]
Ctrl-F will work. Thanks, Bobysait, I will go to remove the asterisks. As for the rest of you. Ask yourself, "What good have you done for others today ?"

If it's just to jump into this thread, chastise me further, and continue to debate and berate me, I don't consider that a very productive time.

I apologize earlier if you think I was rude, because I was. Who wouldn't be ? Tattering matter of how someone types a subject. Let me HOPE that was all it was, and I hope this puts an end to the matter.

And how much of what I wrote was sarcasm ? No-one saw that ? Now who's getting old and gray ? :)

What aggravation. Going to see my G/F today, will unwind.

BTW, Endive. I don't like the way you use Tilde in your signature line. It stands out from others. Better change it. J/K

markcw(Posted 2016) [#35]
Hi dw817, I understand why you like asterisks now, thanks for explaining it. I don't mind the asterisks myself, I was just finding a reason for why other people find it annoying. I am sorry I helped create this flamewar against you, I should have known better not to boss you with such a minor issue. I hope it won't put you off using BMX as that would be unfair, I don't want to drive anyone away from the BB boards especially not someone sharing useful code.

dw817(Posted 2016) [#36]
Hi Munch. Thanks for the vote of confidence. I won't be using asterisks. It does remind me a little of the classic 1984 where 2 + 2 = 5. As the story goes, it is an example of an obviously false dogma one may be required to believe, similar to other obviously false slogans by the Party.

It is contrasted with the phrase "two plus two makes four", the obvious (by definition) – but politically inexpedient – truth. Orwell's protagonist, Winston Smith, uses the phrase to wonder if the State might declare "two plus two equals five" as a fact; he ponders whether, if everybody believes it, does that make it true ?

It's an interesting point, and one I felt was thrust upon me when there was a sudden and very curious 'dislike' by EVERYONE against the perpetrating asterisk symbol. I feel at that point I had to 'tell' others 2 + 2 does in fact, make 5. And, for a moment - I did, and perhaps I did see 5 lights, as Jean Luc Picard might tell you.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chain_of_Command_%28Star_Trek:_The_Next_Generation%29

I removed all the asterisks. And I HOPE that will be the end of it. I suspect many people were not so much interested in 'maintaining' order as it was fun to kick someone when they are down.

That is the technique where you stand behind existing laws to hurt someone and no-one dares question the prosecutor because they are only 'upholding' the law.

Darker still there is also the method of fabricating laws, made up on the spot for the sole purpose of prosecuting innocent bystanders. Talking loud and important and downplaying someone for the 'crime' they've committed.

Did that take place here ? I'll let you decide that.

Some other 'reasons' not to like me are the fact I have written some very simple solutions to what other helpers have gone WAY out on a limb in their massive coding to solve - when in fact simplicity and mere common sense will do.

Enough to tee off any good programmer, except the very easy-going and laid-back surely. Heap on the criticism, especially when it's not thought all the way through. *Grin*

I play and write piano music. I remember playing one of my pieces at college in one of the study rooms for a friend. I mentioned I didn't like the middle of it. Could he help me with a few notes on it ?

He sat down, note for note repeated exactly what he heard only once and then FINISHED my piece, my original and heart felt piece of music - and it was lovely. It was beautiful. It was so wonderful ... I wanted to kill him I hated him so much right then. :)

So I will continue and try to be helpful, however. Understand I might see things from a different perspective, I might program differently than most. But I =DO= answer the problem and question - when I can, and usually the easiest way I can as I'm not one for massive keystrokes whenever possible in my programming.

Hopefully in time the favor might be returned should I get confused or ask questions about a puzzling issue in programming. And hopefully it will be with source code example. To me the true equalizer in the field of learning machine code - of any language.

Only time will tell.

Apologies for the wordsworthy. I also write books and have done computer tutoring at colleges years ago. So I can be a little specific on things.

Kryzon(Posted 2016) [#37]
A'ight guys, one round of whisky. JBR's buying.

Dabhand(Posted 2016) [#38]
I'll have a bottle of Newcastle Brown Ale...

And the star better be blue mind! ;)

Dabz

dw817(Posted 2016) [#39]

Root Beer for me, easy on the ice !

JBR(Posted 2016) [#40]
Hoy, wait a minute nae free drinks here :-)